Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is BC era coming to an end?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is BC era coming to an end?

Will BC have same fate as Brian Burke or will he get one more year to see how the Rudy Gay trade works out?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope so.. however I doubt it. I don't think its because of the Gay trade either. I think its because the Raptors are profitable even though they don't make the playoffs. They are also in a city where hockey is more important so he can just glide through unscathed. From what I've read he's good friends with Tanenbaum too (who still owns part of the team).

Burke is not the type of guy that screams executive.. where as Bryan does.

Post Thanks / Like

Rodman for GM!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Rodman for GM!
    Seriously.

He'd have a monopoly over the North Korean basketball talent.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Seriously.

lol

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously.

Name change: Toronto Worms

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Name change: Toronto Worms
    Toronto Nuke Missiles
    #FREE

Post Thanks / Like

I recall an identical thread title three years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Toronto Nuke Missiles
    Along a similar line: Toronto Apocalypse

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever since hd did the Gay trade I wanted BC gone. I really hope he's gone.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

BC has nuked us right back to where we started off: Mediocrity. Instead of just rebuilding again, we have to lose all our perceived valuable players, be shit for another few years and THEN start the rebuilding. Again. Assuming we start tanking right this very fucking second. If MLSE doesn't fire him tomorrow, expect another 10 years of 9-14 seed yoyo.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion but considering he was allowed to acquire Gay, I think he`ll get at-least one more year.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

But in all sincerity, who is available at the moment who could jump in to help his franchise? Had this convo on Twitter the other night and its slim pickins out there right now. The best option a little while back which we missed the boat on was Kevin Pritchard. Now he's building another successful franchise in Indiana.

Who else is there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    But in all sincerity, who is available at the moment who could jump in to help his franchise? Had this convo on Twitter the other night and its slim pickins out there right now. The best option a little while back which we missed the boat on was Kevin Pritchard. Now he's building another successful franchise in Indiana.

Who else is there?
    I am sure there are people out there.

There seems to be a changing of the guard in recent years. Lots of grunts in organizations getting opportunities either due to cheaper costs or the old guard being put out to pasture.... or teams hoping to replicate success of SA and OKC.

Who would have thought Rob Henningan in Orlando? Ujiri in Denver? Wallace in Cleveland? Demps in NO?

None are/were flashing names but all are making their mark now.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who else is there?
    Yeah...as much as I disapprove of the job BC has done in TO, it is just not a simple matter to find a GM. I can't think of a single GM candidate off the top of my head...really...

BC probably gets a multiyear extension, and we keep riding his wacky carrousel.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure there are people out there.

There seems to be a changing of the guard in recent years. Lots of grunts in organizations getting opportunities either due to cheaper costs or the old guard being put out to pasture.... or teams hoping to replicate success of SA and OKC.

Who would have thought Rob Henningan in Orlando? Ujiri in Denver? Wallace in Cleveland? Demps in NO?

None are/were flashing names but all are making their mark now.
    Except all those teams were knowingly heading into rebuilding type situations...Even Ujiri who pulled the miraculous Melo trade...was clearly hired because they could afford to give an unknown GM a shot, knowing the first move he'd have to make could have easily led into a rebuilding cycle.

It is not great management to start a rebuilding cycle and get a couple of talented pieces in the draft...we'll see how all those teams look in a couple of years. Not saying they'll be bad, but that other than Ujiri, I'm not impressed by anything those other guys have done, and that they really haven't done anything to really test their mettle yet. We'll see if Hennigan can draft/acquire a franchise talent to replace Howard. We'll see if the guys in CLE and NOH put good teams around their young franchise players or if they also go into a mediocrity cycle.

Getting an unknown is just that...unknown. That is also how we ended up with Rob Babcock. So I think rolling the dice when the team is set to compete for the playoffs is very risky, and that in such a situation if you have to make a change, you'd probably want someone with some kind of reliable track record.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Except all those teams were knowingly heading into rebuilding type situations...Even Ujiri who pulled the miraculous Melo trade...was clearly hired because they could afford to give an unknown GM a shot, knowing the first move he'd have to make could have easily led into a rebuilding cycle.

It is not great management to start a rebuilding cycle and get a couple of talented pieces in the draft...we'll see how all those teams look in a couple of years. Not saying they'll be bad, but that other than Ujiri, I'm not impressed by anything those other guys have done, and that they really haven't done anything to really test their mettle yet. We'll see if Hennigan can draft/acquire a franchise talent to replace Howard. We'll see if the guys in CLE and NOH put good teams around their young franchise players or if they also go into a mediocrity cycle.

Getting an unknown is just that...unknown. That is also how we ended up with Rob Babcock. So I think rolling the dice when the team is set to compete for the playoffs is very risky, and that in such a situation if you have to make a change, you'd probably want someone with some kind of reliable track record.
    Babcock did not come from a franchise that had any winning culture (Minnesota).

I am surprised of the guys I listed you only have any praise for Ujiri.

Demps made the trade for Vasquez, signed Anderson, got Lopez. Rivers seems to be a miss but even that is too early to tell. They have good financial situation with just anywhere from 33-42M committed for next season.

Henningan has acquired 3 first round picks over the next 4 drafts. I think he certainly got good value for Dwight all things considered. Getting Tobias Harris was good. Also this is the first year in their rebuild, they have not even had a chance to get a high draft pick yet. For a team just starting a rebuild they are already ahead of the game.

Wallace, in my opinion, takes the cake. I questioned the drafting of Waiters and Thompson but while still questionable they are no longer consensus 'bad' picks. They have upwards of 10 draft picks over the next 4 drafts. They have all sorts of financial flexibility. They have a franchise talent. I am very envious of Cleveland.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I sure as hell hope that BC is gone.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who else is there?
    Thats a never ending problem though. The known good ones are always taken. Its a rare bird when a team lets go a quality GM. (Its why passing on Pritchard for Stephanski was a huge missed opportunity for this team - not coincidentally decided by Colangelo).

We also can't forget, every good and great GM was once an unknown themselves. Buford, Morey, Presti whoever, were once given an opportunity like everyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

I admit, I'm flipping and flopping between the idea of giving him the #No3rdYearOption boat. I really don't know what would be better quite frankly.

He's already mentioned Bargnani is a trade asset, he's as good as gone in the off-season whether it's with Colangelo or not. My only problem with him, has always been his love for Bargnani. As soon as he's gone via trade, it'll depend on what Toronto receives in return, and how he handles Lowry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information