Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If BC was fired, would another team hire him?

Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If BC was fired, would another team hire him?

Simple question. We hired him based on a fairly successful history with Phoenix and his ability to acquire All-star players. Now that we've seen what he's done with the Raptors, would any other team in the league make him an offer or would his career as NBA GM be over?
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope he's fired

Post Thanks / Like

He'd be hired again. No question.

Even two years ago when it looked like he would not be resigned in Toronto there were rumours the Knicks would go after him to replace Donnie Walsh.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He'd be hired again. No question.

Even two years ago when it looked like he would not be resigned in Toronto there were rumours the Knicks would go after him to replace Donnie Walsh.
    He would definitely get another shot. Probably within a calendar year.

Pro basketball, much like the other big sports leagues, is something of an old boys club in the sense that once you're "in"... you have to really go sideways to get yourself out. Considering that BC is a second generation member of such club, it wouldn't be too long before he got hired again somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    He would definitely get another shot. Probably within a calendar year.

Pro basketball, much like the other big sports leagues, is something of an old boys club in the sense that once you're "in"... you have to really go sideways to get yourself out. Considering that BC is a second generation member of such club, it wouldn't be too long before he got hired again somewhere.
    How much more sideways does it need to go in Toronto? He hasn't really achieved anything here. He inherited Bosh whom took him to only 2 playoff appearance since being here. I agree he'd get another GM job simply due to his salesmanship and his ability to draft. But his ability to see the bigger picture and be patient is severely lacking IMO. He goes for the big impact move far too often and generally overpays for it.

@clericalbeats

Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course he would get another job, and one after that too

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In a heartbeat

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No question. High profile GM, as soon as he's gone, he'd get calls in seconds.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BC is a fine GM leave him alone fans. It is not easy making trades with limited resources (talent for talent) It isnt easy bringing anybody into a losing and rebuilding (building now) team.

He could possibly make a lot of moves but its not worth trading developing talent for a proven star for 1 season there by destroying a long term future success. Moving Bargnani this summer will heal most immediate injuries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    No question. High profile GM, as soon as he's gone, he'd get calls in seconds.
    I get that a lot of people feel this way but I'm curious as to why. What makes him a high-profile GM? What has he accomplished? He's been able to bring in some decent talent but has had very little success. Maybe I should rephrase. If you were the owner of a team, would you hire him? I find he's built a reputation as a great GM but that's mostly through his own salesmanship of himself. The true mark of a good salesman. One that leaves you happy with the initial product sold to you but cursing his name down the road when it doesn't live up to expectations. I.e. Turk, Bargs, Kapono, Ford, O'Neal, possibly Gay/Lowry.

I will give him credit for realizing when one of those deals didn't work and getting good value in return. Bargs excluded of course...

@clericalbeats

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaq called himself the black Brian colangelo when he was picking players for the rising stars challenge, therefore BC is high profile

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Grunwald was horrible and now he's in New York.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey is the one that needs to go
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RepRaptorsintheUSA wrote: View Post
    Grunwald was horrible and now he's in New York.
    Woah there. Grunwald was horrible? Made his mistakes in Bradley/Radojevic, but stole Vince Carter, made the right moves in Davis, Alvin Williams, Oakley/Camby, and is the only GM to win a playoff round. He got the short end of the stick IMO.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When he leaves here, he'll get another job very soon after, and I feel sorry for that fanbase already.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Whether it's a GM or a Coach, getting hired and fired is what pro sports is all about nowadays. To answer the question, yes I think he will be hired by another team.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    BC is a fine GM leave him alone fans. It is not easy making trades with limited resources (talent for talent) It isnt easy bringing anybody into a losing and rebuilding (building now) team.

He could possibly make a lot of moves but its not worth trading developing talent for a proven star for 1 season there by destroying a long term future success. Moving Bargnani this summer will heal most immediate injuries
    Limited resources? MLSE is a billion dollar corporation, the Raps are usually top 15 in attendance and revenue, look at the team he inherited when he came here? Emery did all the heavy lifting! He fired a COY (yes Mitchell had some warts) for Triano! Who he allowed to fail for multiple years before hiring Casey!

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Casey is the one that needs to go
    But of the 2 coaches BC has hired Casey is clearly the superior. What does it say about BC if Casey is let go? Oh yeah, he fired a COY for 2 solid assistants but poor head coaches. Maybe he has a poor eye for talent.

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    When he leaves here, he'll get another job very soon after, and I feel sorry for that fanbase already.
    Sad. Sad but true.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    I get that a lot of people feel this way but I'm curious as to why. What makes him a high-profile GM? What has he accomplished? He's been able to bring in some decent talent but has had very little success. Maybe I should rephrase. If you were the owner of a team, would you hire him? I find he's built a reputation as a great GM but that's mostly through his own salesmanship of himself. The true mark of a good salesman. One that leaves you happy with the initial product sold to you but cursing his name down the road when it doesn't live up to expectations. I.e. Turk, Bargs, Kapono, Ford, O'Neal, possibly Gay/Lowry.

I will give him credit for realizing when one of those deals didn't work and getting good value in return. Bargs excluded of course...
    It's all due to his Dad. That's how he got his first job, and that's why he's been given such a long leash here. The Colangelo name is held in such high esteem in American basketball that being associated with it gives your organization instant credibility. Underserved credibility, but that's how the world goes sometimes I guess.

If you were an owner who wanted to win a championship, it would be hard to find a reason to hire him. He drafts well; I'll give him that. You could look back to the team he built in Phoenix and see that he had success there, but I think that run was a bit of a fluke. If Cuban doesn't let Nash walk away from Dallas way back when, I'm not sure that that team would have been nearly as successful. Nash was the perfect point guard there, and I don't know how many players other PGs could have run that team like he did.

But if you just wanted a GM who looks and sounds the part, and who would give your franchise a perception of legitimacy and stability, then he's a safe hire.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post

In his first 11 years as GM, his teams made the play-offs 10 times two of them being Raptor teams. In this time he won the 'executive of the year' twice. This is the main reason he has earned the reputation of being a high profile GM.

After that his Raptors didn't make the play-offs for two consecutive years during the second of which, he made a blunder of a mistake of not trading Bosh, the reason IMO Raps. find themselves in the mess they're in.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    It's all due to his Dad. That's how he got his first job, and that's why he's been given such a long leash here. The Colangelo name is held in such high esteem in American basketball that being associated with it gives your organization instant credibility. Underserved credibility, but that's how the world goes sometimes I guess.

If you were an owner who wanted to win a championship, it would be hard to find a reason to hire him. He drafts well; I'll give him that. You could look back to the team he built in Phoenix and see that he had success there, but I think that run was a bit of a fluke. If Cuban doesn't let Nash walk away from Dallas way back when, I'm not sure that that team would have been nearly as successful. Nash was the perfect point guard there, and I don't know how many players other PGs could have run that team like he did.

But if you just wanted a GM who looks and sounds the part, and who would give your franchise a perception of legitimacy and stability, then he's a safe hire.
    Agree with everything. Great post. It's quite interesting how high the confidence is that he'll get another job, yet majority of Raptors fans want him gone. It's like his resume isn't good enough to keep his current job but it's great when looking for a new one. Strange dynamic but I guess it has more to do with wearing out your welcome and history.

@clericalbeats

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information