Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If BC was fired, would another team hire him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grunwald? I recently read where he said that he thought he had built a championship calibre team in the Knicks. Really?

Colangelo speaks corporate schtick and is more likely to be hired by a company owned team. He seems to keep them informed/in the loop and makes MLSE money so whats not to like from their viewpoint. I think he sticks around....the ok on the Gay transaction kind of telegraphed it. The question still remains: Who is better to replace him with? The stable at the Spurs seems to be empty.

Comment

He would be out of job for like 5 minutes. The Nets were pushing heavily for him as well.
      @RavNation

Comment

YYZ wrote: View Post
        He would be out of job for like 5 minutes. The Nets were pushing heavily for him as well.
        News flash: Colangelo lost his GM mojo about 7 years ago.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
          News flash: Colangelo lost his GM mojo about 7 years ago.
          Cool and you base this on what?

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas...10946-qmi.html

That's from 2 years ago.
          @RavNation

Comment

Cool and you base this on what?

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas...10946-qmi.html

That's from 2 years ago.
            Wins and losses. Not enough wins and too many losses.

Comment

Wins and losses. Not enough wins and too many losses.
              A GM can't coach a team or motivate a team. He can provide the pieces, and I think given the circumstances since his arrival he has always given the Raptors a decent chance.
              @RavNation

Comment

Yeah, probably. He's got his flaws, obviously, but he's competent. In my view, his crippling problem here has been an inability to hire a good coach.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                  Yeah, probably. He's got his flaws, obviously, but he's competent. In my view, his crippling problem here has been an inability to hire a good coach.
                  Yup, and to be fair he gives out some bad contracts.
                  @RavNation

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    Grunwald's error that ultimately cost him his job was the summer of 2001. He miscalculated that the roster was good enough to be a contender. That offseason sunk that iteration of the Raptors cause there was no way to get better once those moves were made. Injuries and Carter's slide did the rest.

Otherwise, he was a solid GM. Even his biggest mistake(s) was generally lauded at the time.
                    Another huge mistake, the biggest IMO, was coddling Vince by getting rid of Oakley. Oakley was the only guy who would challenge Vince, and he wouldn't let him dog it; not coincidentally, Vince played the best ball of his career when Oak was around. But Vince couldn't handle being called out (for being a Mama's boy, the story goes) and Grunwald caved. And I think that at that moment Vince knew that he could get/do whatever he wanted in this city - and then everything went to s***.

In Grunwald's defence, maybe no one could have forseen what was going to happen with Vince. But when your main guy asks you to get rid of a player who was one of the toughest, most respected guys in the league, that should raise a couple of red flags.

(Now I'm thinking about Oakley. Remember those behind the back passes? Remember him beating up random players for gambling debts? Man that guy was the best.)
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

BC's terrible. In the history of the NBA, I wonder how many GMs have kept their job after 5 years in a row of not making the playoffs?

Comment

A GM can't coach a team or motivate a team. He can provide the pieces, and I think given the circumstances since his arrival he has always given the Raptors a decent chance.
                        Bryan is the chief of basketball operations. The buck stops at the top.

Comment

Bryan is the chief of basketball operations. The buck stops at the top.
                          Sadly you're both right. And even though BC can't coach there are those accusations from S.Mitch that B.Co was getting in the way of his coaching staff. IF TRUE, perhaps none of the coach hires were bad, but the GM/President was at fault for meddling.

Amir and Jose developed under Mitchell, while Demar and ED developed under Triano and Casey. The only first round pick developed (they moved CV before he could) under the Raptors during Colangelo's tenure who has not significantly improved statistically appears to be Bargnani.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            Sadly you're both right. And even though BC can't coach there are those accusations from S.Mitch that B.Co was getting in the way of his coaching staff. IF TRUE, perhaps none of the coach hires were bad, but the GM/President was at fault for meddling.

Amir and Jose developed under Mitchell, while Demar and ED developed under Triano and Casey. The only first round pick developed (they moved CV before he could) under the Raptors during Colangelo's tenure who has not significantly improved statistically appears to be Bargnani.

If BC is telling coaches how to coach, by all means he should be let go, because he has no right to tell a coach how to coach. Could it be the case? Possibly, but I think if Sam Mitchell was a good coach he would find a job elsewhere as head coach or be considered in the running for a head coaching position, he hasnt. I think its bitter grapes with him.

And on the same note, many players including Bosh werent a fan of his coaching ways and methods.
                            @RavNation

Comment

Working...
                            X