Which team has the worst GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which team has the worst GM?

Is BC in the consideration for the worst GM in the league? Or is Michael Jordan the overwhelming favorite in that category?

Petrie in Sacramento.

It is tough to gauge him though because his owners have become strapped for cash and ridiculously cheap in recent years.

But despite excuses of recent years and based just on record, I would say Petrie.

Comment

I personally think its Grunfeld in Washington. There is a fair argument to be made with Sacramento, but I think management there gets a bit of a pass because its ownership has been such a mess and its tiny market. Grunfeld has no such excuses.

Colangelo though I'd say is competing in the bottom 5 or so.

(just as a note Jordan isn't the GM in Charlotte, he's an owner. He more or less gave up any direct decision making duties when he highered Cho. Which is probably a good thing)

Comment

petrie- sac
        kahn- minni

jordans not GM, hasnt been for a while now, but when he was he was pretty awfull too

Comment

Colangelo is in the bottom 5 for sure..

My bottom 5 would be:

1) Petrie - Sacramento
          2) Grunfeld - Washington
          3) Blanks - Phoenix (simply for the Turk trade)
          4) Khan - Minnesota
          5) Colangelo

Dumars gets an honorable mention because of the Gordon/Charlie V acquisitions, however the Pistons also won a championship under his reign so I give him a pass.

Comment

Definitely not Colangelo in my opinion. Has been able to put together young players, assets since Bosh's departure. In my opinion, real negatives here have been Bosh's departure for nothing, Jermaine O'neal trade, and Bargnani still being here. Every GM makes bad/poor decisions in managing their rosters/staff.

Petrie in Sacramento is THE WORST. Can't really say there's anyone near him in the category of "absolutely, positively terrible."
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

On Grantland I saw the Kings described as "a pickup team from hell", and that made sense to me. It seems like the worst-fit roster in the league. I'll cast my vote Petrie's way.

Comment

Colangelo isn't even close to the "Worst GM in the league" title. He tried to cater to Bosh and it didn't work out. That's on him, and on Bosh, and on the coaching staff and the rest of the team at that time. Since the Bosh departure, it's been tough for the Raptors, but he's made more good moves than bad, in my view.

I'm going to leave the Bargnani stuff alone, because I don't know what's going on with that guy.

Comment

swingman wrote: View Post
                  On Grantland I saw the Kings described as "a pickup team from hell", and that made sense to me. It seems like the worst-fit roster in the league. I'll cast my vote Petrie's way.
                  As far as won loss record the Raptors have matched the Kings in being a bottom feeder of the NBA over the last few years. The Kings have 21 wins (playing in a tougher conference). The Raptors have 23 wins. Last year the Kings won 22 games, the Raptors won 23. In 2010-2011 the Kings won 24 and the Raptors won 22.

Going forward Sacramento is in much better shape as far as cap space is concerned. They'll have room to move if they decline the contracts of Toney Douglas and James Johnson. The Kings have a another piece coming their way in a likely top five lottery pick. Marcus Smart would be a perfect fit but getting Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore would another valued rookie contract also and make Tyreke expendable.

I rate Petrie's performance as GM as better than Colangelo.
                  Last edited by stretch; Tue Mar 5, 2013, 09:46 AM.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                    As far as won loss record the Raptors have matched the Kings in being a bottom feeder of the NBA over the last few years. The Kings have 21 wins (playing in a tougher conference). The Raptors have 23 wins. Last year the Kings won 22 games, the Raptors won 23. In 2010-2011 the Kings won 24 and the Raptors won 22.

Going forward Sacramento is in much better shape as far as cap space is concerned. They'll have room to move if they decline the contracts of Toney Douglas and James Johnson. The Kings have a another piece coming their way in a likely top five lottery pick. Marcus Smart would be a perfect fit but getting Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore would another valued rookie contract also and make Tyreke expendable.

I rate Petrie's performance as GM as better than Colangelo.
                    In terms of cap, yes. Flexibility and contract issues have been the obvious knock on BC. Otherwise, the asset management in Sacramento, the stabilization of their roster, and the Cousins/Evans project has not panned out as they expected. Everything in Sacramento is downhill, mainly because they're relying far too heavily on Cousins/Evans to break out as their "top dogs." They need veterans, they need experience, they need better surrounding talent, and quite frankly they don't even have a consistent core. It'll move from Thornton/Cousins/Evans - could make an argument for Isaiah Thomas - and whoever the hell is surrounding them that year. It's a mess.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

No votes for John Hammond?

I won't say anything about Colangelo other than this: if his name was Bryan Smith, he'd have been fired 3 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X