Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the End of the Bench, DeMar!

Doug's mighty peeved this morning. Thinks Antoine should be the starter over DeMar and Weems be the first wing off the bench. Wants to see how that would work for the last 13 games of the season.

Thoughts?

Is it time now to do Antoine Wright for DeMar DeRozan, make Sonny Weems the first wing off the bench and see how the last 13 games of the season unfold?

I think I’d do it.

It’s not so much a knock against DeRozan, although the first six minutes last night were somewhat ghastly before he turned around, as it would be a move to shore up the rotation at the crucial time of the season.

Wright’s been playing pretty well the last two games and he is the team’s best perimeter defender and I think that’s what you need on the court to set the tone at the start of games and third quarters.

The thing with DeRozan was always about his development, even if there was a cost involved. He got good minutes against good players, didn’t really cost his team any games but now it’s time for a guy who’s been there to take over.

The next four games are pretty big and could very well define where they finish – especially the two roadies at Miami and Charlotte on the weekend.

It’s time for the guys who have been there to do it; time for Wright.
    Source - Click here

Comment

I totally agree with that kind of thinking. I think It'll also give a spark to Antoine who seems to sometimes be the forgotten man on this team. I think if we can get him playing at a high level, for the rest of the season, it will rubb off on the rest of the team.

They showed a stat last night during the game somthing like when he scores more then 7 points a game that there was a direct correlation with that and the team winning more games.

Its a little late in the season but better late then never I say give Antoine a chance to shine!
      Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

Its not like its going to make a big difference.

The SG position has been a big hole this season regardless of who you put in.

Comment

I don't agree, I say we just shorten DeMar's minutes in the playoffs and bring in Weems/Wright earlier on in the game. Because the roles have been set, and DeMar doesn't have much experience coming off of the bench. It would be tough for him to figure it out this late in the season when he's been starting all year. I say we just shorten the minutes for him, and increase the minutes of Weems & Wright.

P.S. Does ANYONE out there wish we used Belinelli somewhat more? I kinda miss his exciting play-making skills. Maybe its just me.
          "Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That's true about the game, and in some ways about life too." ~ Michael Jordan
          ------------------------------------------
          "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy." ~ Dale Carnegie

Comment

Who would you rather have defending LBJ/Wade/Pierce/JJ/VC/etc in what should be playoff atmosphere games for the rest of the season: DD or Wright?

ANTOINE WRIGHT!
            RR OG

Comment

hmm Belli or should we just call him John? hah. more like john doe... I'm worried that it would mess up the rotations a bit, and well It just seems he isn't as consistant as he was earlier in the season with his quick release shot... he's gone cold for quite sometime now... If he proves me wrong its great to get that extra help from the bench and I would love to give him more minutes... I just don't think its gonna happen this late in the season though.
              Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
                Who would you rather have defending LBJ/Wade/Pierce/JJ/VC/etc in what should be playoff atmosphere games for the rest of the season: DD or Wright?

ANTOINE WRIGHT!
                If the Raptors make the playoffs I think Wright is an absolute must for the starting lineup. No one on the team playing a significant role, besides Turkoglu or Amir, has the kind of playoffs experience he does.

Comment

Bargnani and DeRozan

Reading Raptors HQ’s article, ‘All About Andrea - The Definitive Breakdown of the Raptors’ Biggest Enigma’ ( http://www.raptorshq.com/2010/5/25/1...the-definitive ) (it’s a good read) ... I got to thinking about how this team is gonna look come next season.

We’ll have to wait to see who is where and all that but ... I think it’s fairly certain that two of the important cogs in Colangelo’s mix will be Andrea Bargnani and DeMar DeRozan.

But what that made me think about is that I can’t seem to recall the two of them really playing off of each other at all. And actually, I seem to remember thinking a few times over the season, that DeMar almost pointedly did not involve Bargs in his play. (Am I remembering wrong, there? Could be, but I don’t think so.)

If I was Colangelo, I think I might dream up one or two ways to get those two guys to know each other better - a lot better - than I think they currently do. Like, have dinner together every night for a week ... and spend an hour or so every day, that same week, in the gym, just the two of them, practicing together. Or maybe send DeMar to Italy or Bargs to Compton (can you imagine?) for a week. I don’t know if teams do things like this, but it might not be as crazy as it sounds.

It’d be a good way to start things off between them for a short stretch before training camp, cuz ... I just have a feeling that if they could learn to work together, their respective talents might combine nicely ... and if they could develop any kind of on-court chemistry, it could make for a faster start next season for the both of them.

With Bosh gone (yeah, if), we’ll need some re-inventing of things as they are ... and Bargs and DeRozan might be a good place to start.

Comment

Not a bad start, but neither player ( granted, Demar being a rookie ) looked like they want to take reins of the team, both looked like they just wanted to fit in. I know DD is a rookie, but even in VCs first season, u could sense his willingness to lead the team. Bargs havent shown that at all ( could be a language problem ) and we still have to wait to see how Demar develops after a full season under his belt.

Comment

That article was a pretty good read, pretty much echoes what most people over here say about Bargs.

I think Ws511 is absolutely right that DD and Bargs need to develop better on court chemistry if they are going to be the guys we build around. I would go a step further than just making them have dinner. Make them room together throughout the season and in training camp, design several plays that put them in a two man game with each other and make them run those plays to perfection every practice, maybe even have them play two on two against a pair that already has great chemistry like Johnson and Jose. Actually that last one would be good to do anyway since both Bargs and DD suck in pick an roll situations.

The fact of the matter is, if Bosh goes and we get nothing decent, Demar and Andrea are going to be this franchise for the next couple years. Both need to improve alot and they need to learn to play well together.
                      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Next up on TMZ:

Toronto Raptor DeMar "DeRazor" DeRozan eating fried chicken at Roscoes... again! But this time he brought a new friend along, 7 foot teammate Andrea Bargnani from Italy!

*cue Andrea coming out of Roscoes with a drumstick in one hand, a bucket of chicken in the other hand and hot sauce smeared all over his face. They both start Crip Walkin' over to Andrea's newly purchased candy apple green '64 Impala, where they both hop in, hit the switches and ride off listening to NWA's 'Dopeman'.*

Not a bad idea ws511, in fact I think I'd purchase Andrea's plane ticket out there (maybe just a one way).

Nevermind all these BoshBynum rumors, let's make it Andrea/Bynum and Bosh stays.

Comment

RikkJames wrote: View Post
                          Not a bad start, but neither player ( granted, Demar being a rookie ) looked like they want to take reins of the team, both looked like they just wanted to fit in. I know DD is a rookie, but even in VCs first season, u could sense his willingness to lead the team. Bargs havent shown that at all ( could be a language problem ) and we still have to wait to see how Demar develops after a full season under his belt.
                          That's hardly a fair comparison.

For starters, VInce played 3 college seasons, while Demar played 1. Everyone acknowledged Demar was a bit of a project when they drafted him, and I can't recall any projects coming in and being leaders from day one.

Secondly, Vince was coming onto a team that was already bad, and lost its leading scorer from the previous season (Damon). The best offensive player on that team (in terms of scoring production) when Vince arrived was Doug Christie. Seriously! Doug Christie! Vince had no choice but to be willing to lead. That situation was particularly conducive to a star rookie coming in and taking over.

Demar, conversely, came into the exact opposite situation. This team was built to contend this year, and the rest of the roster reflected that. You have Bosh, a max player who was obviously going to get his touches. Then you have Bargs, a first overall pick himself who loves to shoot. Then you have Calderon, who has become accustomed to being a major part of the offense in the past few years. And then, of course, you have "Ball". These guys are all veterans, they're all supposed to be integral parts of our offense, and they all make upwards of $9 million a year.

You honestly expected a 19 year old surrounded those by highly paid veterans to be any type of leader? If he had tried to be he probably would have gotten laughed out of the locker room.

His game has to come along first (you can't have your "leader" averaging 10 points per game and getting lost on defense), and he has to mature a bit, and then we'll see about his leadership abilities. Even with Bargs, I think you've got to give him some time in a Bosh-free locker room to establish himself. It's unfair to say he can't lead when he's never been asked to before.

But yeah, one or both of these guys is going to have to step up from both a basketball standpoint and a leadership standpoint, because I don't see Turk doing either. Give them some time though...the leadership stuff won't happen overnight.

Comment

I agree with TM. DD has potential, but with him being 4th or 5th scoring option, he wont have the swagger yet to become a leader on this team. Same with Bargs. Everybody who watches the NBA knows Bosh is the leader of this team, of course Bargs will acknowledge that but now the Bosh is potentially gone from this team, Bargs should at least make an effort to get his voice out there, not necessarily lead the team. I might get all the WTFs but Hedo or Jack should start leading this team in terms of pushing players to stick to the system and to play hard. Hedo would be the best to do that since he has playoffs and finals experience, bu Jack has the swagger and balls to get this team in line.

Comment

TM Williamson wrote: View Post
                              Even with Bargs, I think you've got to give him some time in a Bosh-free locker room to establish himself. It's unfair to say he can't lead when he's never been asked to before.
                              Isn't that kind of what leaders do? Lead when they haven't been asked but because they know what has to be done? Isn't this what we expected out of Barg's at the end of the season when bosh was injured? It seems to me like we all asked barg's to step it up in Bosh's absence and he really didn't. I'm not saying that leadership qualities can't be groomed or even manufactured to some extent but i don't see bargs ever being a leader. BUT if it is unfair to expect him to lead without being asked, I'll do it right now:

Tuesday, May the Twenty-Fifth, in the Year of Our Lord, Two Thousand and Ten

Dear Andrea Bargnani,

The Toronto Raptors fell short of our goal of going deep in the playoffs and missing out entirely is nothing short of a failure. Whether Chris Bosh wears a Raptors jersey next season or not--changes have to be made and not just in the personel but in the intangibles as well. The team needs more grit, determination, heart, backbone, effort, in short: capital "L" Leadership.

As a fan of the Toronto Raptors' "game since day one" I am taking it upon myself, on behalf of all Toronto Raptors fans everywhere, to request that you begin to demonstrate any leadership qualities you may possess and to cultivate them if you don't. I request that you begin being a leader immediately. I don't expect miracles over night but please demonstrate that you are at least trying to try. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Shane D. Bartlett
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                                The team needs more grit, determination, heart, backbone, effort, in short: capital "L" Leadership.
                                Bargnani has not shown even ONE of these qualities. Why on earth do you think he would start displaying all of them now?
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X