Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorReuben;196564[B wrote:
    ]*sigh* Alright. That's why Derozan went from 8 points a game in his rookie year, to 17, to 16, to 18 again? Better rebounding numbers? Better assist numbers? If you've watched the games, he now has a post game. Like, what are you saying?[/B]

Goodness gracious, I've made the argument about people not caring about anything other than results. Vince Carter, Tracy Mcgrady, Hedo Turkoglu? Well? I could go on and on about players who have bad traits, and don't work hard. But, that list would take me all day.

I think you would be happy with that Indiana Pacers team back in 2004. Just saying.
    I said this before, don't get fooled by his stats. Why, because he plays tons of mins! this guy plays 38-40mins a game. If you play that much you better average 17ppg. Actually he should average more than that with the mins that he's getting. The 8 points jump jump from his rookie year to second year is again because of the mins. Not sure you know, but DeRozan didn't play much in hsi rookie year.

As for the 2004 Pacers. That team i believe went to Eastern Conference semi finals? only losing to the eventual NBA Champ Detroit Pistons in 6 games? yeah i'd be happy with a team like that.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
      I don't care about character or work ethic. At the end of the day i want to see results. This is DeRozan's 4th year in the league now, and yes his mid range game is much improved. But other than that? he's still the same player.

As for Payton's "he can be an all-star" comment. Alot of people said the same thing about Bargnani early in his career. Well?

Just to quote a fellow poster in this forum: "DeRozan's a one dimensional player and he's one dimension isn't even that good"

Not shitting on the guy but it's true. DeRozan's got a great work ethic, that's great but at the end of the day you gotta have the skills too. Bargnani got a lot of skills but he doesn't have the work ethic of a DeRozan. You know what i mean? to be a star or an all-star in this league, you gotta have BOTH.
      1. If you asked any legend what got them to the top, they would answer that a ferocious work ethic is the most important thing. All NBA Players have talent, it's the ones who work their asses off that end up doing something special in the league.

2. How is Demar the same player? Give me one area of his game he has not built upon. Even his defense, ball-handling and three-point shooting, the weakest parts of his game, are much improved compared to last year.

3. I put a lot more trust in Gary Payton's ability to detect something special about a player than Rautins and Colangelo and his general campaign of misinformation. Especially a player that he is training with during the off-season.

4. Derozan is steadily improving. Does every shooting guard we have have to be Vince or Kobe or Michael or else he's complete garbage?

Take a look at the list of nba Shooting guards and tell me who you would honestly take over Derozan There are about 5-6 guys max who should come before Demar and the likelihood of getting any of them is virtually nonexistent.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...hooting-guards
      Last edited by qb5PHILA@hotmail.com; Tue Mar 5, 2013, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• I knew.

Comment

I don't care about character or work ethic. At the end of the day i want to see results. This is DeRozan's 4th year in the league now, and yes his mid range game is much improved. But other than that? he's still the same player.

As for Payton's "he can be an all-star" comment. Alot of people said the same thing about Bargnani early in his career. Well?

Just to quote a fellow poster in this forum: "DeRozan's a one dimensional player and he's one dimension isn't even that good"

Not shitting on the guy but it's true. DeRozan's got a great work ethic, that's great but at the end of the day you gotta have the skills too. Bargnani got a lot of skills but he doesn't have the work ethic of a DeRozan. You know what i mean? to be a star or an all-star in this league, you gotta have BOTH.
          Well in that case, why don't we just trade for a bag of basketballs -_-
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• If the work ethic translates into better dribbling and defence then I'm all for Demar. Until that happens, the jury's out. In the last loss to GSW, Klay Thompson carved him a new one. Don't get me wrong, he's a great kid but he loses the ball too much and simply cannot adequately defend his position.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              *sigh* Alright. That's why Derozan went from 8 points a game in his rookie year, to 17, to 16, to 18 again? Better rebounding numbers? Better assist numbers? If you've watched the games, he now has a post game. Like, what are you saying?

Goodness gracious, I've made the argument about people not caring about anything other than results. Vince Carter, Tracy Mcgrady, Hedo Turkoglu? Well? I could go on and on about players who have bad traits, and don't work hard. But, that list would take me all day.

I think you would be happy with that Indiana Pacers team back in 2004. Just saying.
              Can he defend his position. I think you know the answer to that one. Points as a metric for progress? I'd take Tony Allen and / or Thabo Sefolosha over Demar ANY DAY.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• His top 5 in scoring at his position
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• If the gloves doesn't fit, Demar must acquit!

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    Can he defend his position. I think you know the answer to that one. Points as a metric for progress? I'd take Tony Allen and / or Thabo Sefolosha over Demar ANY DAY.
                    He's an average defender, but he's improved. It's inconsistent, but it's improved. I wish he was a better defender, but he's improving.

I'm not defending him in being a average defender, just saying Demar has clearly improved in almost every facet of the game - if anything, added some - and has a great work ethic. The greatest players (who said Demar will be one of them?) have great work ethics, and live, eat, breathe, sleep basketball. He's getting compliments from one of the greatest to play the game on both ends of the court. With that said, I don't see any reason why Demar can't take the next step on the offensive end, and keep working on his defense.

I don't know if I would take Sefolosha or Allen any day over Demar. It basically becomes 4 on 5 on the offensive end. While, defensively, they are the clear cut players. I probably wouldn't, with this roster anyways. That's a bit of a harder question/statement to back up on why. For me anyways...
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I said this before, don't get fooled by his stats. Why, because he plays tons of mins! this guy plays 38-40mins a game. If you play that much you better average 17ppg. Actually he should average more than that with the mins that he's getting. The 8 points jump jump from his rookie year to second year is again because of the mins. Not sure you know, but DeRozan didn't play much in hsi rookie year.

As for the 2004 Pacers. That team i believe went to Eastern Conference semi finals? only losing to the eventual NBA Champ Detroit Pistons in 6 games? yeah i'd be happy with a team like that.
                      Yes, and eventually broke up and dug that franchise into the hole because of selfish characters, bad egos, guys who aren't willing to put in the work, immature, and just plain knuckleheads. (While making the second round is nice) I wouldn't be happy as a fan talking about "how it could have came together". Oh wait, we are saying that. Vince, Tracy.. Man.. How it could have come together. But what happened? Selfishness. Bad character. Immaturity.

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                        I wouldn't have guessed that the Glove would have any influence on him at all. I mean, he dribbles like a girl guide on a Sunday morning and couldn't defend a toddler. But he scores so yay points!
                        Hahaha amazing

Comment

• I guess I'll just agree to disagree. Because no one is going to change my mind about a guy who wants to be here, who wants to be the best he can, willing to put the work in, and has a great character. He's a guy who gets better every year.

Comment

• Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                            If the gloves doesn't fit, Demar must acquit!
                            haha booya!

Here's my take,
                            “He can be an All-Star in the next two, three years,” Payton said. “I think he’s got to work real hard at it, (but) he can do it. That’s the way I’m saying you play on both ends of the floor… I want people to understand that he’s a young kid who works hard. Everybody needs to understand that. This kid is not a kid who is at his peak yet…they’re going to be surprised in the next couple of years.”
                            Yes, Payton thinks it's possible for him to be an all-star, but it's going to take 2-3 years of hard work. I think that says something about where Demar is right now. My main problem with Derozan is 3 point shooting. IMO this team is going to have issues offensively until they get more consistent shooters from 3 pt range (JLIII & AA don't cut it). I don't know what Demar's ceiling is, but talent wins in the NBA. If Demar improves again this offseason, tightens up his defense and is a better 3 pt shooter then he's off the market. Otherwise I think we've got enough slashers and mid range shooters that 1 of Demar/Lowry/Gay is expendable. Unfortunately for Demar I think if the organisation had to trade 1 of those three I think Demar is the likely candidate to be moved.

Personally, I'm not invested in Gay or Lowry more than Demar, I'm just speculating what the org would do if faced with wanting to make something happen.

But an article like this does make you want to cheer for Demar's success.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• I don`t get how anyone can be unhappy with Demar. all of his stats are up this year and he has visibly improved on defense. I think people forget how poor he was on defense and don`t see how far he`s come. His handle` which is his biggest weakness is better and he has learned to hide it by playing more back to the basket. I think some Raptors fans are so used to failure that they can`t see what they have.
                              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• hateslosing wrote: View Post
                                I don`t get how anyone can be unhappy with Demar. all of his stats are up this year and he has visibly improved on defense. I think people forget how poor he was on defense and don`t see how far he`s come. His handle` which is his biggest weakness is better and he has learned to hide it by playing more back to the basket. I think some Raptors fans are so used to failure that they can`t see what they have.
                                I agree. Compliment is a little skewed. Payton (Oakland) & DD (Compton) have a Cali connection. He's just showing love to someone from the same state. DD is on my untouchable list. Don't want him moved under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES right now. i don't see how he can become an ALL STAR, even though i'd love it to happen. Also keep in mind before Rudy arrived, if you shut down DD you beat the Raptors. He began playing decent in those situations and it made him better. Now that teams have another person to think about, he's doing even better. Defense can be better, but it's true for the whole club. Hasn't proved himself in clutch moments yet. He's getting to the line. He's avging over 15pts. What more do you want?

Comment

Working...
                                X