Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

draft best player available or position of need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilding teams rebuild around the best players they can find. Out of our lineup the only position I would avoid drafting is PF (Amir and Ed will handle this position for years to come)
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      Bismack Biyombo hands down.
      The fascination with Bismack is baffling. I prefer Faried over him any day and not as the 5th pick of course. Personally, the team needs to draft either player that is expected to be at the five spot in the draft (Kanter or Valanciunas).
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        i like leonard but we already have james johnson. Who is also a good defender and shot blocker(for his position) and stat sheet stuffer who can basically do everything and plays with a drive and passion to win. All he needs to do this off season is work on his mid range jumper and 3 pt shooting and he will be a good starter next season. I think it would be safer to go with someone like kemba or knight and then trade calderon.
        I like james johnson too dont get me wrong. The problem that I have with what you are suggesting is that I like Jerryd Bayless and I think he is going to have a break out year like 20+ points a game if we start him. I dont wanna draft a top 5 guy and play him limited minutes and I dont wanna cut in Bayless' minutes. Leonard is a safe pick too, and with the kleiza injury we dont have too much depth at SF. Also leonard is arguably the best defender and rebounder in the draft both huge weaknesses for us atm.

Knight wont be available if he is we should take him, but remember that kemba is 21 while Leonard is 19, the way leonard works on his game by the time he is 21 he will be a MUCH better player. So imo Leonard is a safe pick. I like Kemba dont get me wrong but I like Bayless more.
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
          if bayless and calderon can play pg which i beleive they can all of a sudden our position of need becomes center (if move bargani moves to pf) and sf...

q can james johnson can be our starter? if yes then center is our position of need..

what u guys think
          best player available 99% of the time.

If the Raps move Bargnani to PF, they suddenly have a huge hole to fill at PF.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
            best player available 99% of the time.

If the Raps move Bargnani to PF, they suddenly have a huge hole to fill at PF.
            ??? I'm not sure I get what you're saying. I do know that some people in this forum are obsessed with Biyombo because they're hoping that he becomes Bargs' rebounding mule at center while Andrea enjoys his perimeter game as a PF. Such fascination is so short-sighted and narrow. Fine, let's try and get Biyombo and move AB to the 4-spot. Oh, what about Davis and Amir? Oh let's trade them since they're redundant. The new defensive regime spells the end of any player who thinks they do more complicated things than defend. Biyombo is a late first-rounder for a reason.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
              The fascination with Bismack is baffling. I prefer Faried over him any day and not as the 5th pick of course. Personally, the team needs to draft either player that is expected to be at the five spot in the draft (Kanter or Valanciunas).
              Why? Bismack is younger, more athletic, better blocker, has a bigger standing reach and wingspan and is taller. The only think Faried can probably do better is rebound but I doubt he's much better than Bismack.
              Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sun Jun 19, 2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                Why? Bismack is younger, more athletic, better blocker, has a bigger standing reach and wingspan and is taller. The only think Faried can probably do better is rebound but I doubt he's much better than Bismack.
                http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...rebound-in-nba

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  ??? I'm not sure I get what you're saying. I do know that some people in this forum are obsessed with Biyombo because they're hoping that he becomes Bargs' rebounding mule at center while Andrea enjoys his perimeter game as a PF. Such fascination is so short-sighted and narrow. Fine, let's try and get Biyombo and move AB to the 4-spot. Oh, what about Davis and Amir? Oh let's trade them since they're redundant. The new defensive regime spells the end of any player who thinks they do more complicated things than defend. Biyombo is a late first-rounder for a reason.
                  I was saying that 99% of the time a team should draft for talent not fit. There are always exceptions (based on unique situations) the Raps are not an exception

As for Bargnani, I was saying that whatever position he plays will be a hole. Raps have a hole at C right now... if they draft a C and move Bargs to PF, then now have a hole at PF.

Comment

Another reason to draft for talent is because Toronto is probably going to be in the lottery again next season unless one of their current players develops into a stud, which could happen, but even then, I guess the Raptors will be fighting just to get a whiff of the 8th seed.

So, by the time it's the summer of 2012 the raps will have one more chance to draft a strong player then make any necessary trades to get the pieces that fit best.
                    Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

BPA 99.9 times out of 100. This draft is not 0.1 time.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

BPA if there's a clear BPA, but if it's a choice between several players on the same tier, then factor organizational fit into it. Note that I said fit, not need. Drafting for need means taking a SF because that's the position we lack most (bad strategy); drafting for fit means taking a PG, SF, or C because any of those positions could be upgraded and we'd have no problem finding playing time for such a draft pick. Fortunately, it's easy this year because there are no PFs or SGs on the board at the #5 pick, so it's BPA all the way.

Comment

Working...
                        X