Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC clears the air: DeRozan not in play but they are trying to get another top ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard to trade for a pick that you do not know the position of. (the uncertainty for both teams involved make it a very risky variable)
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jun 9, 2011, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Glad he cleared that up, I hate it when baseless rumors get floated around. Good to here BC is doing his due diligence, Vesely is one of the guys often mentioned for us so I would actually be a little upset if BC or someone else high up in the Raps organization wasn't over their to see how he does in the finals.
      I hope BC can get another pick. While none of the guys in this draft have superstar written on them there are some decent prospects in the top ten. Picking up Knight at 5 and Biyombo or Thompson at ten would be a pretty nice haul for Toronto.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

The only reason you squash a rumor is because it may affect season ticket sales.
        Generally you would want rumors out there, maybe you would get a more serious offer
        for your player...Demar is far from untouchable but it looks like the fanbase has decided
        that if he is traded it should be for a known commodity (not neccessarily a star but not a draft pick either).

I'm on board with that.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          The only reason you squash a rumor is because it may affect season ticket sales.
          Generally you would want rumors out there, maybe you would get a more serious offer
          for your player...Demar is far from untouchable but it looks like the fanbase has decided
          that if he is traded it should be for a known commodity (not neccessarily a star but not a draft pick either).

I'm on board with that.
          You also squash rumors because you don't want the player being mentioned to be affected negatively, as is sometimes the case when your employer stops giving you their vote of confidence.

And no, you don't generally want rumors out there. It's not like other GMs read Hoopsworld and say to themselves, "oooh, Kahn is willing to offer Flynn and the #2 for DeRozan and the #5, time for me to bid higher!" Any leveraging would be done over the phone, GM to GM, and not via silly fan rags.

Comment

Its, to QUASH a rumor.
            Not Squash.

quash/kwôSH/Verb

1. Reject as invalid, esp. by legal procedure: "his conviction was quashed on appeal".

2. Put an end to; suppress: "a hospital executive quashed rumors that nursing staff will lose jobs".
            Have seen it alot around here, and thought I'd just fill ya in...

As for coming out and saying Demar is not on the table, that was a great move by BC. Even for a stupid rumor like that, it shows alot for him to come out that quickly with a rebuttal, and say that Demar is our guy going forward.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Its, to QUASH a rumor.
              Not Squash.

Have seen it alot around here, and thought I'd just fill ya in...

As for coming out and saying Demar is not on the table, that was a great move by BC. Even for a stupid rumor like that, it shows alot for him to come out that quickly with a rebuttal, and say that Demar is our guy going forward.
              Squash is good for you though... its a little tastier said that way.
              Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jun 9, 2011, 07:23 AM.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                Squash is good for you though... its a little tastier said that way.
                Agreed.

Although quash does sounds equally tasty, it likely isn't (kinda like using real pumpkin in pumpkin pie... never as good as squash)

Comment

Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
                  Going for another pick in this draft makes a lot less sense than adding a pick in next year's.
                  Not if he sees two guys in the top ten who can become really good players. Some say it's a weak draft but that doesn't mean it will be known as a weak draft later... There is a lot of talent in that top ten even if most of the players won't make a huge impact from day one. I hope he's targeting Alec Burks with that second pick he's looking to add...

Comment

Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
                    Going for another pick in this draft makes a lot less sense than adding a pick in next year's.
                    Hard to say that as one stated don't know positioning but also very dangerous given the unresolved CBA could be raising the age requirement and thereby eliminating eligibility of about Edit: 70% of next year's projected lottery picks.
                    Last edited by Maleko; Thu Jun 9, 2011, 08:53 AM.

Comment

The Wolves

On Friday, I detailed the Timberwolves' draft strategies in the wake of signing Ricky Rubio to a contract. Here's the CliffsNotes version: Publicly, the team is claiming that they're likely to hang on to the pick. Privately, they're hoping that a team comes along and offers them an impact veteran -- someone such as Pau Gasol, Monta Ellis or even JaVale McGee -- for the pick. ESPN.com
                      Source: HoopsHype.com

I'm skeptical about the Lakers dealing Gasol for the the #2. Kobe is at the tail end of his career and wants to compete for titles. First they hire a coach without talking to him at all and basically publicly apologize for it. Now they deal Gasol for a untested rookie? No way unless they want a disgruntled franchise player. Golden State could make some sense. My hope is that they are intrigued enough by Bargnani to pull the trigger.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Not if he sees two guys in the top ten who can become really good players. Some say it's a weak draft but that doesn't mean it will be known as a weak draft later... There is a lot of talent in that top ten even if most of the players won't make a huge impact from day one. I hope he's targeting Alec Burks with that second pick he's looking to add...
                        i love it when you talk dirty
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Adding 2 young players in the top 10 is very different than adding a top five, and the HEAT pick in the high 20's.
                          Getting 2 top ten picks, this year, means getting 1 or 2 players who will play NOW, and be a part of the future.

Most teams in the top 10 seem very interested in certain prospects. Strangely #2 seems to be the most available.

Other ideas to get a top 10 anyone?

Maybe Bayless to Sacramento, assuming Kemba is off the board ... Or taking a big contract like Maggette from Milwaukee
                          Or just knock one out of the park like: Bargnani to Cleveland for Varejao and the #4.
                          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

i could see flipping bayless. as much as id like to get rid of calderons contract, if we're drafting a pg id rather have jose around to mentor, and bayless could probably fetch more.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                              Adding 2 young players in the top 10 is very different than adding a top five, and the HEAT pick in the high 20's.
                              Getting 2 top ten picks, this year, means getting 1 or 2 players who will play NOW, and be a part of the future.

Most teams in the top 10 seem very interested in certain prospects. Strangely #2 seems to be the most available.

Other ideas to get a top 10 anyone?

Maybe Bayless to Sacramento, assuming Kemba is off the board ... Or taking a big contract like Maggette from Milwaukee
                              Or just knock one out of the park like: Bargnani to Cleveland for Varejao and the #4.
                              Bargnani might look good next to a big interior guy like Cousins. Maybe they do that but I feel the Raptors need a player coming back too. Colangelo needs to maintain his image after all.

Maggette? No... No, no, no, no, no. No.

Comment

Thank God

Comment

Working...
                                X