No announcement yet.

DJ Augustin signs 1-year Deal with Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 pts and 6 assists on 90% from the line 42% from the field and 35% from 3 in his best year. I don't think you "forget" how to play basketball. I think this might be part shitty situation "Charlotte" and Indiana is not a PG driven basketball club. I'm not saying he didn't take a step back, but I think it is just as likely he could take a step forward.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Oh I completely agree.
      Thats not to say someone won't bring it up as a serious point of conversation around here once DJ has one good game though.
      And we'll immediately try to reach their next of kin to see if this person has accidentally been released from a mental health facility....

I mean someone can bring it up as a serious point of conversation....there's no way it could ever be a serious point of conversation. I might as well be arguing that Jamario Moon's been taking it easy, so he should be fresh to come back and start for us at SF so we can trade Rudy Gay.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I might as well be arguing that Jamario Moon's been taking it easy, so he should be fresh to come back and start for us at SF so we can trade Rudy Gay.
        I'd do that deal in a heartbeat #wiggins!
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
          I'd do that deal in a heartbeat #wiggins!
          I feel like if we suddenly decided to start Jamario Moon, the league may try to punish the team for some kind of tampering.

Comment

• Would trading Gay, DeRozan, Amir and Lowry to any of the teams that are currently tanking in exchange for their crap be considered tampering? I mean if we purposely tried to make other bad teams good so they have better records and subsequently we have a worse record how would the league see that?

Oooh, and as I'm writing down my thoughts I stumble upon Ujiri's master plan. Wait until we approach the trade deadline, see who is below us in the standings and strategically trade our best players to those teams and therefore sabotage said teams chances for a lower seed. Ujiri, you devil!

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I think all his signings so far fit with what his stated strategy for the season:

- start the season with the primary core of players intact from last season (ie: Gay, DeRozan, Lowry, Johnson)

- add talented young players with potential, without breaking the bank (hard to do given self-imposed hard cap) or commiting beyond this season

- return to DC's defense-first philosophy

- evaluate the roster throughout the first half of the season

- I think that there are 2 ways the season can unfold, both on and off the court:

Option #1
              - young players (ie: Valanciunas, Ross, Acy, Buycks) take a step forward in their individual development
              - top players (ie: Gay, DeRozan, Lowry, Johnson) take a step forward and become more consistent
              - young injured players (ie: Fields, Augustin) return to form
              - young role players (ie: Novak, Hansborough) provide solid depth
              - the team exceeds expectations and is in the heart of the playoff race, showing good signs of organic growth, team chemistry and renewed defensive prowess
              --> MU decides to make a run at the playoffs and only tweaks will be made to the roster

Option #2
              - the team stumbles out of the gate, the naysayers were proven right and the team looks more like a #10-12 seed than a #6-9 seed
              --> the core is blown up (ie: big name players traded for combination of young players and draft picks) by/before the trade deadline, allowing an all-out tank through the second half of the season (I think this is the type of thing TL was referring to in his "suck to be good" quote)
              --> signings like Hansborough and Augustin look like genius moves, as they can either be traded as assets with expiring contracts or let walk after the season (they are the ultimate extreme low risk / potential high reward in multiple ways type of signing)
              Couldn't the naysayers still be proven right if the team starts off the season well?

I would further that by saying if the team is a 6-12 seed it still doesn't mean blowing up this team is the wrong thing. to do.

if you want to compete for championships you need that type of talent and once again, save for JV, the talent on this team is weak (no perennial all stars or franchise guy) and eating up salary to the point there is no flexibility.

Making "a run at the playoffs" is a Colangelo move.

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
                Couldn't the naysayers still be proven right if the team starts off the season well?

I would further that by saying if the team is a 6-12 seed it still doesn't mean blowing up this team is the wrong thing. to do.

if you want to compete for championships you need that type of talent and once again, save for JV, the talent on this team is weak (no perennial all stars or franchise guy) and eating up salary to the point there is no flexibility.

Making "a run at the playoffs" is a Colangelo move.
                That's just how I think MU is going to approach the first half of the season, based on everything that TL/MU/DC have been saying in the media and reading between the lines. I don't think they will proactively tank ahead of the season, unless of course they get some offers for Gay/DeRozan/Lowry/etc.. that are too good to refuse. MU says he feels comfortable starting the season with the current core and that he wants to use real games to evaluate the roster. TL says they may have to suck to be good. Adding all that up, I see the season going one of the two directions I layed out; either make a strong push for the playoffs or blow-it-up and tank hard in the 2nd half.

I disagree with people who argue that if the team pushes for the playoffs this season, they are somehow stuck forever as a low seed, without hope of ever improving. Yes, a push for the playoffs (making them or not) would likely mean missing out on a top-5 pick in the 2014 draft, but that's hardly the be-all and end-all of team building. The team will still have assets, including several young players who would've improved in order to make the Raptors a playoff team. They will have several expired and expiring contracts, as well as all their future draft picks. Even the worst contracts - Gay & Fields - will suddenly be huge expiring contracts heading into the 2014-15 season, with the team projecting huge cap space for that offseason. It's not like the 2014 offseason is the only opportunity the Raptors have to rebuild/retool.

Again, I would be fine with a rebuild, and I think Raptors management would be too. I just don't envision them doing so, at least not before we/they get to see the current core play together throughout the first half of the upcoming season.

Comment

• Blake Murphy was CORRECT

ASIDE: Dammit. Is it possible to post a photo from your comp as opposed to a url link? I want to post a table about DJ's numbers but I can't be bothered to do the table b/s. Anyway...

DISCLAIMER: I don't like to bring post comments into the forums, but didn't really have a way to repond in the venu based on my limited ability to display tables in a readable fashion.

Ok here were go!

Blake made the following comment in his post about the DJ signing:

Contrary to what some have said on Twitter or in PutBack posts, Augustin is not a “good” signing. He’s a pretty non-discrept, inconsequential signing... He’s fine as a back-up on a non-contender,
                  Which prompted this response in the comments:
                  LOPEZ: You're being a troll with your Augustin comments. The guys only 25 and has played for the Bobcats and sparingly for the Pacers, give him a chance in his new role before bashing the guy...
                  and

LOPEZ: He's a good backup on a noncontender, yet he's good enough to be the Pacers backup....Makes a lot of sense.
                  Anyway, I watched everygame of the Eastern Conference Finals, and the two things that the announcers said over and over again were

1) Pacers need to get more from their Point Guards
                  2) Pacers need to get more from their BENCH

DJ Did average about 13:30 minutes per game in the conference finals. So in a very LITERAL sense, yes he on the court, but did he actually "play". IF you watched those games you have no choice but to put "play" in air quotes. Seriously, watch them again if you think he in ANY WAY had a positive contribution, or if you haven't watch them yet.

Just to confirm that I wasn't selectively biased in my "eye test" of the situation, I went back and dug up his box scores for that series, the using the magic of excel worked out his per game average for the conference finals and his per 36 from the conference finals.

SPOILER ALERT: It's not pretty. (And I don't just mean the table layouts)

Bench ECF Min Sec FG 3Pt FT +/- Off Reb Ast TO Stl BS BA PF Pts
                  D.J. Augustin G1 14 52 1-2 1-1 5-6 4 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3 8
                  D.J. Augustin G2 14 46 1-3 0-1 0-0 -12 1 2 0 0 0 0 1 1 2
                  D.J. Augustin G3 13 25 1-1 1-1 0-0 -14 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3
                  D.J. Augustin G4 17 59 0-0 0-0 0-0 -9 0 0 3 2 0 0 0 3 0
                  D.J. Augustin G5 18 15 0-2 0-2 0-0 -8 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0
                  D.J. Augustin G6 10 29 1-1 0-0 0-0 -8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
                  D.J. Augustin G7 9 25 0-0 0-0 2-2 -15 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
                  D.J. Augustin SUM 67 153 4-9 2-5 7-8 -62 2 4 3 0 0 2 9 17
                  D.J. Augustin AVG. 13 31 0.444 0.400 0.875 -8.857 0.143 0.286 0.571 0.429 0.000 0.000 0.286 1.286 2.429
                  D.J. Augustin PER36 36 0 N/A N/A N/A N/A 0.8 1.5 1.1 0.0 0.0 0.8 3.4 6.5

D.J. Augustin Playoffs G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
                  D.J. Augustin Playoffs 19 1 16.6 1.4 3.7 0.38 1 2.5 0.396 1.3 1.6 0.806 0.8 0.7 0.4 0 0.5 1.4 5.2
                  D.J. Augustin PER36 19 1 316 3.1 8.1 0.38 2.2 5.5 0.396 2.8 3.5 0.806 1.7 1.5 0.8 0 1.1 3 11.2
                  D.J. Augustin RS/G 76 5 16.1 1.4 3.9 0.35 0.9 2.5 0.353 1.1 1.3 0.838 1.2 2.2 0.4 0 0.9 0.8 4.7
                  D.J. Augustin RS/36 76 5 1226 3 8.6 0.35 2 5.6 0.353 2.4 2.9 0.838 2.7 5 1 0.1 2 1.9 10.5

Some of the things that standout:

His +/- for the series was -62 He only had 1 game were he had a positive +/- and that was game 1 (+4) so the best thing you could say is that without him they would have lost in regulation.

Per36 condensed version. 6.5pts 1.5 Assists 1 T.O.

So when you factor in the following

1) Completely FAILS the eye test, no impact
                  2) His overall stats are pretty meh, but his conference finals stats are turrible
                  3) We signed him for the shortest possible time (1 year) for he lowest possible amount (minimum). If indy felt like he was good enough to play back up pg for them (a CONTENDER) he'd still be there.

So yes Blake's initial statement although harsh, are pretty fair.

All that said, I'm HAPPY about the signing, and would like to welcome DJ to the RAPTORS! We are a non-contender so at the minimum, why not!
                  Last edited by ezz_bee; Thu Jul 18, 2013, 06:24 PM.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Hassan wrote: View Post
                    DD is mad good G , trust if he gets his 3 going he will dominate . All raps need to be contenders is for JV to become an all star centre if we keep this roster going forward and jv develops and demar becomes better at the 3 we will be contenders in the east for sure
                    This is enough to put me on RaptorRepublic hiatus.

Have a great summer.

Comment

• Thank god. lol.

Comment

• i could see the raptors first in one category next seasons, since we got dj on board
                        What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                        The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                        No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• Dwight Buyck just tried to send a message in summer league with 18-10-6.
                          Except it's Summer League...

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                            Dwight Buyck just tried to send a message in summer league with 18-10-6.
                            Except it's Summer League...
                            dj might be the 3rdstring pg...

Comment

• Ezz bee, get a Photobucket account, save your table as an image, upload it to photobucket, copy the URL of the image, paste, do your best TD dance.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                This is enough to put me on RaptorRepublic hiatus.

Have a great summer.
                                Been there, done that. Enjoyed it. You will, too
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X