Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotes from Brotherston at HoopsWorld.coM:

Casey:
    “I don’t know the specifics, [the deal] happened right before the game,” Casey said. “Congratulations to [DeRozan]. he has earned it. He is one of the core guys in our franchise. He is a young kid, 23, getting better every day and making big plays.

“He is growing. He has gotten bigger. He worked on his game in the summer and his future is in front of him. We talked before the game about his measuring stick as being efficient, getting to the free throw line and attacking the rim.”

Colangelo:
    “DeMar has worked very hard and has been a significant part of the building process here in Toronto,” said Colangelo in a Raptors’ press release. “We view DeMar as a young, athletic and talented basketball player whose character fits what we are putting together.”
    The $40M Man:
    “I went into the season looking at I have to be that much better than I was last year and come with much more in order to help this team win,” DeRozan said. “It’s a nice thing just knowing that I am here, that this is the place I am going to be. I can just concentrate on doing everything for this team and keep moving forward.

“It’s an honor for me. I am a loyal dude. For them to have the same passion in me is a great thing. I feel like I owe them all I can bring to the team.”
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/raptors-ex...ans-extension/

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Quotes from Brotherston at HoopsWorld.coM:

Casey:

Colangelo:

The $40M Man:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/raptors-ex...ans-extension/
      All of those quotes could've easily been taken from 2010. Nothing has changed in 3 years. We're still talking about how hard DeRozan works, and our hope he turns into a legit player.....one day.....

Comment

• to be fair, his dribbling is much improved.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
          to be fair, his dribbling is much improved.
          Improved, but still inadequate for his position. I honestly can't say his ball-handling skills are any better than Bargnani's.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            All of those quotes could've easily been taken from 2010. Nothing has changed in 3 years. We're still talking about how hard DeRozan works, and our hope he turns into a legit player.....one day.....
            The above is the reason an average player is an average player. Demar is always going to have his flaws but I don't have any doubt that he belongs(legit.) in the league. However, I am surprised at the money he got. I think he got more than he deserves.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Well, now we have a contract that's worth amnestying.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                but hearing about the DeRozan contract nearly made me physically ill.
                Exactly how I felt. When I saw the headline, my stomach sank.
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                  Well, now we have a contract that's worth amnestying.
                  haha! Bargnani, Amir and Kleiza are the only possible amnesty candidates for the Raptors. My bigger fear is that BC actually believes what he said about DeRozan and believes he is the franchise wing of the future... what ever happened to trying to acquire a star wing like he talked about after last season??? The worst part is that DeRozan is far less tradeable today than he was yesterday.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                    What most of you seem to forget is that there are teams out there that are willing to pay just as much money to obtain him.
                    The stupid teams. And if/when they offer him a big contract, then you have to let him walk.

In the NBA right now, a wing has to be, at minimum, one of two things: a lock-down defender, or lights out from three. As we know, Demar is neither. And now we're paying him ten mil a year. Good lord.
                    Last edited by JimiCliff; Thu Nov 1, 2012, 12:27 PM.
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

The stupid teams. And if/when they offer him big contract, then you have to let him walk.

In the NBA right now, a wing has to be, at minimum, one of two things: a lock-down defender, or lights out from three. As we know, Demar is neither. And now we're paying him ten mil a year. Good lord.
                      I would add a 3rd component to wing play. That is, a pure scorer (e.g. Monta Ellis). Again, something DeRozan isn't.

Comment

• Bottom line is... nobody wants to play in toronto. Here we have a young developing player who wants to be here, and still has upside. Worst case scenario, I think this is a tradable contract

Comment

...In the NBA right now, a wing has to be, at minimum, one of two things: a lock-down defender, or lights out from three....
                          Not that I am defending this contract or suggesting that DeMar is the player the Raps need at his position, but out of the 15 starting wings in the Eastern Conference, how many meet those criteria? Eight? I think DeMar has some company playing the wing position and not being lock down or lights out.

Comment

• What I don't understand is that, the way I understand it, had the Raptors not extended DeRozan by the Oct.31 deadline, he would have become a restricted free agent (RFA) after the season. The Raptors would have been able to match any contract offer and would still maintain his 'Bird rights', allowing them to re-sign him to a contract that put them beyond the salary cap (although they'd still have a cap hold worth approx. $4.5M). They'd still be able to trade him as a $3.3M expiring contract up to the trade deadline this season and could still work S&T next offseason, if they decided they didn't want/need to re-sign him or if an offer was made that they didn't want to match.

That's why I don't get the contract extension at this time. Did BC really think that DeRozan would be that sought after by several teams, resulting in a bidding war that pushed the offers to $9.5M or more? If he was willing to go as high as $9.5M per season, why not just wait and match (or just sign outright without having to match) in the offseason? That way they'd have about $5M additional cap space to work with BEFORE re-signing DeRozan, which they won't have now (that's essentially another MLE level contract/player that could have been signed). It's the timing as much as it is the amount, which is bugging me so much.
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Nov 1, 2012, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Fuchan wrote: View Post
                              Bottom line is... nobody wants to play in toronto.
                              People say this all the time, and to suggest that every single player in the nba does not want to play here is ridiculous. If you have a good team and you have money to spend, you'll be able to find players. Look at John Lucas: he probably could have got similar money from a team where he would have had guaranteed back-up minutes, but he chose to come here.
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                What I don't understand is that, the way I understand it, had the Raptors not extended DeRozan by the Oct.31 deadline, he would have become a restricted free agent (RFA) after the season. The Raptors would have been able to match any contract offer and would still maintain his 'Bird rights', allowing them to re-sign him to a contract that put them beyond the salary cap (although they'd still have a cap hold worth approx. $4.5M).

That's why I don't get the contract extension at this time. Did BC really think that DeRozan would be that sought after by several teams, resulting in a bidding war that pushed the offers to $9.5M or more? If he was willing to go as high as $9.5M per season, why not just wait and match (or just sign outright without having to match) in the offseason? That way they'd have about $5M additional cap space to work with BEFORE re-signing DeRozan, which they won't have now (that's essentially another MLE level contract/player that could have been signed). It's the timing as much as it is the amount, which is bugging me so much.
                                Could it possibly have something to do with the other members of his draft class all seeming to get extensions recently? Did they not want to risk DD being disgruntled by the fact that Lawson, Curry, etc. are all being extended and he was not?

Comment

Working...
                                X