Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow starts

I see some things never change.

Any speculation on why it takes a quarter and a half to play any sort of respectable basketball?

Is this something we can hope that Lowry will shore up once he returns to the lineup?

Casey has to be pulling out his hair everytime we tip off.

Hasn't this been the Raptors style for the last three years :-)

Comment

When 60% of your starting lineup can't stop anyone (DeRozan, Calderon and Bargnani), slow starts are inevitable.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        When 60% of your starting lineup can't stop anyone (DeRozan, Calderon and Bargnani), slow starts are inevitable.
        In addition to the porous defense, we also have no established scorers. Bargnani always starts slow and needs to get into a rythym and the rest either can't or don't look to get themselves going consistently enough. Bad defense and sputtering offense always spells a slow start.

I'm hoping that this year can be like 2007, when I just hoped the starters didn't giveup too big a lead, so that Calderon could lead the 2nd unit on a charge into the lead. If Casey loads up the starting unit with defenders (ie: Lowry, Fields, Valanciunas), hopefully it will offset their offensive struggles. The 2nd unit should be expected to take it at the opposition's 2nd units on a nightly basis.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          In addition to the porous defense, we also have no established scorers.
          In a nut shell : We don't have enough talent in the starting 5 unit to match the opponants starters who are often legitimate stars. This is why our starting 5 get tired fast and after substitution from the bench, that's when we can close the gap.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
            In a nut shell : We don't have enough talent in the starting 5 unit to match the opponants starters who are often legitimate stars. This is why our starting 5 get tired fast and after substitution from the bench, that's when we can close the gap.
            To be fair, Detroit doesn't have any legitimate stars, yet still killed us in the 1st.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              To be fair, Detroit doesn't have any legitimate stars, yet still killed us in the 1st.
              True, but most of their offense seemed to come either directly or indirectly as a result of Knight's penetration, against our backup PG. I doubt he would have had his way like that against Lowry. That complete lack of point-of-attack defense put even more undue pressure on our bigs, one of which is working his way back from injury and the other was seeing his first NBA minutes (after missing training camp due to injury). Knight is quick and Monroe is a developing star; it was really just the two of them that dominated the game for Detroit.

Comment

Detorit starting 5 was also much more athletic then the Raptors. Other then Derozan the rest of the starting five were like a bunch of slow footed neanderthals in comparison

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  In addition to the porous defense, we also have no established scorers. Bargnani always starts slow and needs to get into a rythym and the rest either can't or don't look to get themselves going consistently enough. Bad defense and sputtering offense always spells a slow start.
                  This is why a player like Demar needs to step up and just drive hard in the 1st quarter, get some easy FTs and allow shooters to get into the game slowly. If he can't do that he has no place on this team.

Kyle Lowry could take that role too but it goes against how you want your PG to play, where you hope their early concern is to get others in the game and scoring and then putting the team on their back in the 4th if need be (ala Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Rondo)

Comment

It's only been 2 preseason games guys. I thinks we might wanna wait for say a couple weeks of real games before we start complaining about slow starts.

Comment

I really believe Kyle Lowry will change that. From watching a good number of Houston games last season, Kyle Lowry seems to be a guy that is aggressive, and looks for his first, than starts to be more of a facilitator. Kyle from the point of attack defensively and offensively should seriously change a lot.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Keeping it Real wrote: View Post
                        It's only been 2 preseason games guys. I thinks we might wanna wait for say a couple weeks of real games before we start complaining about slow starts.
                        Not really complaining, just stating a trend.

And its been two seasons and two preseason games.

The only constants are Bargs, DD, and Jose really...

Comment

Keeping it Real wrote: View Post
                          Really.

Comment

The slow start issue is a function of the fact that the Raptors have a very deep roster of bench players - all 15 to be precise.

Sarcasm aside, the starting unit isn't very good compared to other starting units, hence, the slow starts. Lowry should help somewhat and, hopefully, Valancunias figures it out sooner rather than later. Replacing Gray or Amir with a legit, starting NBA centre would make a big difference. Then, you just need to find starters at the SG and SF positions and you're good to go.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              The slow start issue is a function of the fact that the Raptors have a very deep roster of bench players - all 15 to be precise.

Sarcasm aside, the starting unit isn't very good compared to other starting units, hence, the slow starts. Lowry should help somewhat and, hopefully, Valancunias figures it out sooner rather than later. Replacing Gray or Amir with a legit, starting NBA centre would make a big difference. Then, you just need to find starters at the SG and SF positions and you're good to go.
                              I agree that Lowry replacing Calderon, Fields replacing JJ/Butler and Valanciunas replacing Gray/Amir in the starting lineup should definitely improve the team's defense to start games, but I still don't see much offensive improvement (Lowry is better at creating his own shot, but Calderon is better feeding players, so it's a bit of a wash). Making Bargnani play inside more to start games (not settling for long jumpers) and seeing a more aggressive DeRozan, should hopefully help improve the team's 1st Quarter offense.

Regardless, I still expect to see the 2nd unit being counted on to makeup small deficits from the opening 6-10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X