Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reggie Evans - Has He Become The Forgotten Raptor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reggie Evans - Has He Become The Forgotten Raptor?

Last Fall before Reggie injured his foot Raptors fans everywhere were talking about how he was going to bring that toughness that they said the Raptors so badly needed.

They also talked about his rebounding and how he was going to be the first big off of the bench.

Unfortunately for everyone except maybe Amir, Reggie got seriously injured and was out until just before the all-star game. When he finally did return Raptors fans were of course initially excited to see him on the court. Unfortunately the strength in his injured leg was still significantly below its norm. His timing was also off.

Now the Raptors have drafted Davis who at this point appears to have a very bright future. There seems little doubt that Davis will either start or get the first shot off of the bench behind Amir.

Most posters here seem to feel that Reggie should go and will go. BC of course tried to trade him to Charlotte. So it is entirely possible Reggie could not be in a Raptors uniform come November.

Assuming that he is in a Raptors uniform will he get any minutes?
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Aug 18, 2010, 08:55 AM. Reason: Updated News
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

haha I also noticed the quick 180 by all the fans. I guess you can't blame them. With so many bigs and with such limited offensive skills I can't see Reggie playing ever other than in garbage time or barring injury to the guys ahead of him.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
      haha I also noticed the quick 180 by all the fans. I guess you can't blame them. With so many bigs and with such limited offensive skills I can't see Reggie playing ever other than in garbage time or barring injury to the guys ahead of him.
      But the reality of it is, with Bosh gone, Reggie could be the Raptors best rebounder especially if his legs return to full strength. We know that the Raptors are going to be rebounding challenged as a team.

Davis should become a good rebounder because he appears to have a great instinct for the ball and is long and can jump. However he is light in the pants, so the unanswered question is can he box out heavier bigs? We know Reggie will get his rebounds and maybe if his legs are at full strength his team defense will be better than last season.

Dorsey played well in the LVSL but it is still only the summer league and so far while Dorsey has put up good rebounding numbers in limited NBA minutes he has never managed to get more than limited NBA minutes. His offense is no better than Reggies and his experience is certainly a lot less.

My sense is that if Reggie is still around come October and November that he will find a way to fight his way into the mix for minutes especially against heavier front lines like the Celtics first and second units.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I hope Reggie stays because Davis and Amir shouldn't just be given minutes they should have to earn them. Competetion is good IMO and this year other than barg there is no garrenteed starter on the roster evey position is up for grabs.

Comment

If this year we are 'retooling' or whatever, I'd prefer to give minutes to Dorsey or Alabi (if they make the team) than to Evans. IMO even if Evans play well, he's not going to be nothing else this season than an expiring contract, but Dorsey could (I doubt it) become a little asset to the team.

Comment

We acquired Reggie Evans three years too late. He was there to be had the summer we signed Kapono and if we had addressed our interior defense (which is why we lost to the Nets) instead of three-point shooting, Evans would have been a fruitful member of the team. The injury didn't help his cause and Johnson's emergence as a garbage-man also sealed Evans' fate.

Evans can still be a great 5-7 minutes energy guy off the bench, but I'd rather give the younger Dorsey a chance. Evans' expiring contract is still an asset, I would not mind if we just let it expire or package him in a trade to get a PG.

Comment

I realize Dorsey hasn't really proven himself in the regular season, but from what we saw in the LVSL, Joey was more willing to pass it out after an offensive rebound whereas Reggie instantly just put up a shot after grabbing a board. If our designated garbage man is going to get around 5-7 minutes, we might as well use Reggie to get us something worthy in return, and give what would have been Reggie's minutes to Dorsey.

Comment

I can tell ya, no matter what role or position, EVERYBODY's gonna be encouraged to score. With the scoring numbers that Bosh, Hedo and sometimes Calderon, gave us, we're gonna need to spread the jam a little bit.
                The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  Last Fall before Reggie injured his foot Raptors fans everywhere were talking about how he was going to bring that toughness that they said the Raptors so badly needed.
                  Assuming that he is in a Raptors uniform will he get any minutes?
                  No - He is redundant and completely irrelevant in the offense. Dorsey is younger better cheaper. Great locker room guy but has no future with Raps or in NBA for that matter.
                  "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post
                    I can tell ya, no matter what role or position, EVERYBODY's gonna be encouraged to score. With the scoring numbers that Bosh, Hedo and sometimes Calderon, gave us, we're gonna need to spread the jam a little bit.
                    I can't imagine Triano's going to encourage guys like Reggie (if he stays), Dorsey, Alabi, or Banks to try to fill it up every time they hit the floor. Although Bosh and Hedo's pts/game are gone, it doesn't mean we have to start throwing everything but the kitchen sink at teams to score. We aren't skilled enough to simply let everyone on our roster start chucking up shots whenever they please. Instead, we have to be a lot more efficient as an offensive unit simply because we don't have a "go-to-guy" that can be relied upon for ~20 pts/game.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                      No - He is redundant and completely irrelevant in the offense. Dorsey is younger better cheaper. Great locker room guy but has no future with Raps or in NBA for that matter.
                      On labour relations, Dwayne Jones and the Wildcats in Canada
                      By ryan.wolstat

Last Updated: August 17, 2010 11:30am

Joey Dorsey’s fate will likely depend on whether or not Reggie Evans gets moved.
                      http://www.torontosun.com/blogs/cour.../15049731.html

Comment

not sure what % of Reggies contract is guaranteed but it might be that buying him out and holding on to dorsey would be cheaper.

If this is a move you wait until the last possible moment to do it though because once you buy out a contract it is cemented in you cap space. Trading him would be ideal - likely wont be resolved until Calderone's fate is decided.
                        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

dorsey's garbage what are you guys saying. let's get real.

Evans despite his lack of offense is our best pf on the team because every other one is too thin, or just trash.

i look forward to his 5 min of fury a game.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                            not sure what % of Reggies contract is guaranteed but it might be that buying him out and holding on to dorsey would be cheaper.

If this is a move you wait until the last possible moment to do it though because once you buy out a contract it is cemented in you cap space. Trading him would be ideal - likely wont be resolved until Calderone's fate is decided.
                            Could be that the Raptors might want to keep Reggie as a trading chip in a possible Jose deal.

If that is the case then the Raptors will most likely keep him until at least the trading deadline, which most likely would mean all season, or until Calderon is traded. Therefore if Calderon is not traded by the trading deadline Reggie could be in for 10-11 if he is not otherwise traded.

They could also sign Dorsey to a non-guaranteed contract and if Reggie is moved before the non-guaranteed contract date is reached then sign Dorsey to a guaranteed contract. On the other hand the Raptors could just sign Dorsey to guaranteed contract straight up based upon the thinking that they would like him around in 11-12 rather than resigning Reggie if he is not traded.

Comment

If TO doesn't trade Reggie b4 camp I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting as the 5 w/ Barg's at the 4- if players get to earn their rotation spots in camp. Evans has the body to bang with NBA centers and the heart to compete against them despite the height difference- in my mind. As long as Reggie's only shots are off of offensive rebounds he should be ok just setting screens, banging in the paint & hustling plus he's the only Raptor that consistently boxes out their man. Not to mention that he's a veteran presence in the locker room.

Comment

Working...
                              X