Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perception

If Phil wanted to sit on the pine I'd be ecstatic but running the team is a different beast. I'm not sold on this being a better choice than sticking with Colangelo in terms of which guy would make better personnel decisions but no doubt Phil brings a lot more prestige and this should not be underrated.

Bringing Phil in might be the overnight reputation overhaul that Raptors board is craving.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
      The front office was probably inspired after reading my post from Feb. 20:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...-Future/page2
      Seriously. I find it freakish how many things stated on this forum end up being adopted by MLSE or come out of their mouths. If we start a thread asking for us to get an MLSE wage think it would work? So who do you think it is here that works for MLSE? My vote is solidly behind Tenforthewin.

Comment

One more thought. The board would need to give up more control to get Phil. Are they willing to do that? (ie:they have veto power over Colangelo currently).

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          If Phil wanted to sit on the pine I'd be ecstatic but running the team is a different beast. I'm not sold on this being a better choice than sticking with Colangelo in terms of which guy would make better personnel decisions but no doubt Phil brings a lot more prestige and this should not be underrated.

Bringing Phil in might be the overnight reputation overhaul that Raptors board is craving.
          The way I see it, Phil was a coach not a player (MJ, Isiah Thomas) so those comparisons cannot be made. As a coach, Phil dealt with the intellectual side of basketball, and the psychological side of a basketball team. His utter success on both fronts shows that a mind like his is valuable at any position in any basketball team.
          A player turning GM is uncertain, because a good player does not have to be smart.
          Phil is smart, and knows how winning looks like. Expect a culture shift with him in charge.

I would love to see this be the line of execs

MLSE President: Tim Leiweke --> Raptors President: Phil Jackson --> Raptors GM: BryCo --> Raptors HC: Dwayne Casey

This team of executives is a great balance of good talent scouting, basketball smarts, executive/business smarts, and motivation to win.

Phil Jackson will basically have all the powers he wishes, can change the coach, can change the GM, and I have utter faith in his abilities to make the right moves.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

One more thought. The board would need to give up more control to get Phil. Are they willing to do that? (ie:they have veto power over Colangelo currently).
            Would they go after Phil without understanding that would be a prerequisite?

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
              Phil Jackson would be awesome to have as GM of the Toronto Raptors or as head coach, if he's the GM, he will most likely hire either Sam Cassell or Brian Shaw, we would love to see a triangle offense type of style for this team.

Jackson would make DeRozan instantly better, could be Heir Jordan or Heir Kobe as opposed to Heir VC.
              Rudy Gay ain't no Scottie Pippen but he can be better scorer
              Amir Johnson is no Horace Grant but he can be a better defender
              Kyle Lowry is a lot better than John Paxon and BJ Armstrong
              Jonas Valanciunas ain't Shaq but he can be a better scorer and hit the open jump shot
              Bargnani will be traded along with T-Ross under Phil Jackson possibly for some key backup veterans

Give a year or two, the Raptors will make some noise in the NBA.
              how bout just one of the classic trade scenarios instead??

Comment

Yeah, Phil is demanding total power LOL

"ESPN.com reported last week that Jackson, after nearly two seasons in retirement, is "itching" to return to the NBA next season, but preferably in a role similar to Riley's in Miami that allows him to oversee both the basketball department and the coaching staff, or perhaps as a high-level consultant such as Jerry West in Golden State."

Either/or works for me though!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  The way I see it, Phil was a coach not a player (MJ, Isiah Thomas) so those comparisons cannot be made. As a coach, Phil dealt with the intellectual side of basketball, and the psychological side of a basketball team. His utter success on both fronts shows that a mind like his is valuable at any position in any basketball team.
                  A player turning GM is uncertain, because a good player does not have to be smart.
                  Phil is smart, and knows how winning looks like. Expect a culture shift with him in charge.

I would love to see this be the line of execs

MLSE President: Tim Leiweke --> Raptors President: Phil Jackson --> Raptors GM: BryCo --> Raptors HC: Dwayne Casey

This team of executives is a great balance of good talent scouting, basketball smarts, executive/business smarts, and motivation to win.

Phil Jackson will basically have all the powers he wishes, can change the coach, can change the GM, and I have utter faith in his abilities to make the right moves.
                  I hate to do this but Phil played for the NY Knicks...he was a very good player as a matter of fact.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                    I hate to do this but Phil played for the NY Knicks...he was a very good player as a matter of fact.
                    yeah,yeah,yeah, totally misses my point though! He isnt just known for his athletic ability, hes one of the smartest cookies in basketball!

Comment

Just read it on HoopsHype, shit's gettin real out here. Apparently he also "loves" the city

Comment

I seriously and quite literally fell off my chair laughing when I saw this posted at hoopshype.

Comment

I'd like to learn if this move was made by Bell/Rogers demanding better content for TV or if Tannenbaum took the lead. That would answer a lot. WMCJ- I thought the 90's Nuggets were Alex English and then the Mutombo teams -- those teams were not jokes. I could be wrong, I'm going off the top of my head.

Comment

Another tweet from RealGM:

I'd be the happiest kid alive if this actually happened...
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Wow.. things are LEGITIMATELY heating up on this deal..

Whether it goes through or not, we can remember this moment in Raptors history as the time when the Raps were so close to Signing Phil Jackson !

Comment

Lewieke's on Fan590.com in a couple minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X