Gay having "vision issues"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The cynic in me says great press release by the Raptors to bide time until the end of the season while making an excuse for the last 20 games poor shooting.
    I'm hoping it improves passing and FG%, I'm expecting any differences in Gay's game to be negligible.
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Fri Mar 15, 2013, 07:15 AM.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Hopefully he goes with the Kurt Rambis look.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        I wear goggles when i ball cause of vision issues. My friends call me Kirk Hinrich ok maybe not
        When I was a younger guy playing hockey, I couldn't afford prescription goggles, so I used to wear my GM assembly line safety glasses. Complete with the ghetto shoelaces headstrap, side eyeguards and Hansen brothers tape in the middle as a nose bumper. Then one day, crossing the blueline on offense I got nailed by my own teammate and the safety glasses shattered down the middle. Fortunately, no damage to me and the best part was that GM replaced them no charge.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
          Hopefully he goes with the Kurt Rambis look.

More like Danny Schayes probably. Ready to hit the beach.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Anyone who had perfect vision until adulthood can relate to the slow deterioration of eyesight. Happens so gradually you do not notice until you notice you are squinting at anything and everything.

I am trying to be optimistic on this and hope this is the case. The cynic in me says great press release by the Raptors to bide time until the end of the season while making an excuse for the last 20 games poor shooting.
            What? Gay showing symptoms of old-age already?

I think your latter explanation is more likely, regrettably. Ever notice how the Raps have a disproportionate amount of headlines on Hoopshype, Realgm, local papers, blogs, etc... in comparison to their irrelevance to the NBA landscape. Hmmm, somebody has to be leaking all that stuff to make it look there's a lot of activity going on here in Toronto (except winning).

Comment

Aw, c'mon. Really?

My Colangelo b.s. detector is flashing red...

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                Aw, c'mon. Really?

My Colangelo b.s. detector is flashing red...
                When does it not?

Comment

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
                  Vision issues for a pro athlete is BS. These guys can afford laser.Most places even have low monthly financing for guys like Marbury who can hardly afford to pay insurance on all their cars.
                  Vision issues for pro athletes is definitely NOT BS. Now, I'm not saying that this story isn't (seems a little too coincidental) but, as someone who has had vision problems that can't be fixed through laser surgery (vision continuously deteriorates, therefore not stable enough to correct) and also can't wear contacts, it is very frustrating and absolutely affects performance. Depth perception is altered and reaction time is slower due to processing information a fraction slower. This could explain Rudy's brutal % when shooting from distance as well as his high turnover rate when dribbling in traffic, however, that seems way too easy to fix and still won't change his work ethic and decision making. All that said, we don't know what he's seeing so best not to jump to conclusions.
                  There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Most likely he went to the optometrist and got a new prescription, just like a large quantity of the "normal" population. Athletes have eyesight issues too.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                      More like Danny Schayes probably. Ready to hit the beach.

Looks like a young Clancy Brown... you know the guy that played Jaws

Comment

Eyesight can definitely effect shooting(personal experience).

Comment

Please don't tell me this stuff isn't orchestrated for some effect.

The same day a news release comes out about Gay's vision problems, there is also one on the main page of RealGM about his back problems. Just about every player in the NBA is banged up at this time of year, but why are there 2 stories on Rudy Gay, specifically, on the same day? Now we all knew he was having some back spasm issues, but why the wide circulation of this story?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...By-Back-Injury

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                            What? Gay showing symptoms of old-age already?

I think your latter explanation is more likely, regrettably. Ever notice how the Raps have a disproportionate amount of headlines on Hoopshype, Realgm, local papers, blogs, etc... in comparison to their irrelevance to the NBA landscape. Hmmm, somebody has to be leaking all that stuff to make it look there's a lot of activity going on here in Toronto (except winning).
                            I had perfect eyesight until a slow decline started around age 22. I didn't really notice it until I started taking classes again at 25, sat in the back of the class as usual, then realized the board was a big blurry mess. I'd also notice it at games when I couldn't read the scoreboard on the other side of the arena.
                            So yes, Rudy Gay is showing old age issues related to his eyes at the exact same time it happens to a large percentage of the populous, in our 20's.

Back issues is a common problem in Athletes of all ages. At least Rudy is out there playing through the pain and doing the best he can. He has a lot more heart than Bargs ever did.

Comment

I wear goggles. There shouldn't be much on this topic. Lots of players wear contacts, and like I said, goggles are starting to grow in the game of basketball in general. Vision issues is your everyday issue regardless of sports!

Don't put too much on this topic, although the back IS the issue.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                                Please don't tell me this stuff isn't orchestrated for some effect.

The same day a news release comes out about Gay's vision problems, there is also one on the main page of RealGM about his back problems. Just about every player in the NBA is banged up at this time of year, but why are there 2 stories on Rudy Gay, specifically, on the same day? Now we all knew he was having some back spasm issues, but why the wide circulation of this story?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...By-Back-Injury
                                Did you write this with your tin foil hat on? I also heard Colangelo was the gunman on the grassy nole.

Comment

Working...
                                X