Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Insider: Raptors on a mean streak

This is John Hollinger talking.

Toronto has lost eight straight, and two reasons stand out: (1) lack of talent, and (2) Andrea Bargnani's injury. Here's a fun stat that I cribbed from Toronto's TV guys on Sunday while the rest of you were watching football: The Raps are 3-17 over the past two seasons when Bargnani doesn't play. He's been out the past six games with a calf strain, and the Raptors' offense has been a mess in his absence. Yesterday's 91 points against the Clippers were the most Toronto's scored without him; the Raptors are averaging just 83.2 in the six games.

Bargnani will likely return soon, perhaps as early as Tuesday in Phoenix, but with the Raps on a five-game road swing this streak may hit double digits before the bleeding stops.

Nonetheless, it shouldn't offset one piece of good news from Dwane Casey's project in Toronto: The Raps are now playing somewhat competent defense, standing 19th in Defensive Efficiency despite a copious lack of frontcourt muscle. If Bargnani can come back and revive the 29th-ranked offense, Toronto can avoid further skids.

He seems to be saying what most media outlets are, we suck, we suck far less with Andrea. Looks like the Jonas and the 2012 draft can't come fast enough.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
      This is John Hollinger talking.
      I feel like during this time while andrea has been out the rest of the team has started to get it together offensively: Barbosa is more consistent, Kleiza has had a couple of good games, James Johnson had a career high 20+ pts the other day, and Bayless is back. If Bargnani can come back and these guys can keep it going, our offense might come around faster than we think.
      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
        I feel like during this time while andrea has been out the rest of the team has started to get it together offensively: Barbosa is more consistent, Kleiza has had a couple of good games, James Johnson had a career high 20+ pts the other day, and Bayless is back. If Bargnani can come back and these guys can keep it going, our offense might come around faster than we think.
        You forgot DeRozan who, in my opinion, benefits most from Bargnani's return. DeRozan obviously cannot, at this point in time, handle being the focal point of the offense. Bargnani's mere presence will open things up for him.

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
          I like your attitude. When life gives you lemons, make a citrus smoothie!

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            I like your attitude. When life gives you lemons, make a citrus smoothie!
            I'm the opposite. I don't worry about a thing 'cause I know nothing's going to be alright.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
              ...I don't worry about a thing 'cause I know nothing's going to be alright.
              Sounds like a song lyric.

Or maybe "I don't worry 'bout a thing cause I know nuthin's goin' to go right."

Comment

isn't it that jamaican song everything gonna be alright?

Comment

lol the bob marley one three little birds i think.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Sounds like a song lyric.

Or maybe "I don't worry 'bout a thing cause I know nuthin's goin' to go right."
                    It is a song by Mose Allison ......

that was covered by Van Morrison.

Comment

Beat me to it.

And what a great song it is too. VAN THE MAN!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        You forgot DeRozan who, in my opinion, benefits most from Bargnani's return. DeRozan obviously cannot, at this point in time, handle being the focal point of the offense. Bargnani's mere presence will open things up for him.
                        You're right, Bargs return did open things up for him... On the bench. He's clueless, I'm sorry. Against Phoenix, he was a non-factor.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                        X