Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long have you been a Raptors fan?

And what is your first memory of them?

Unlike a lot of you, I wasn't a basketball fan during the Vince Carter days and only started paying attention to them during their 2007 first round match up during the NJ Nets. I only watched game 6 of that series though cause a friend told me to. (I still remember Richard Jefferson's late game steal )But ever since then, I've been a huge fan. The first Raptors game I attended came the very next year during the play-offs. Game 3 vs the Orlando Magic (Only game the Raptors won in that series I believe).

I know a lot of you are older than me, so I'd be interested in knowing.

EDIT: It'd be nice if you could add your favourite Raptors memory too.

The Raptors huge win over Indiana last season is one that comes to mind since I was definitely ready to turn off the tv before Rudy and amir saved the day. Jose's and1 to seal the game against the Celtics during the 2007-08 season is something I remember getting extremely hyped over too.
    Last edited by Sam17; Thu Jul 4, 2013, 01:26 PM.

Sam17 wrote: View Post
    And what is your first memory of them?

Unlike a lot of you, I wasn't a basketball fan during the Vince Carter days and only started paying attention to them during their 2007 first round match up during the NJ Nets. (I only watched game 6 of that series cause a friend told me to). Ever since then, I've been a huge fan. The first Raptors game I attended came the very next year during the play-offs. Game 3 vs the Orlando Magic (Only game the Raptors won in that series I believe).

I know a lot of you are older than me, so I'd be interested in knowing.
    My first memory is when they introduced Isiah Thomas as GM, then drafted undersized (and undervalued at the time) PG Damon Stoudamire. That officially makes me old I know.

In the pre-Vince days we were comical at times (Oliver Miller and Zan Tabak for the win!) but we had some good role players (Walt the Wizard Williams!). Everything changed with Vince though.

My two fav memories of this team are both Mo Pete plays (hence the avatar). The Blindfolded lay-up was awesome. A one of a kind play that I haven't seen before or since then (quick summary - drives the lane, gets fouled and in the process his headband slips over his eyes, still manages to lay the ball off the glass and in). The other play is when Mo Pete was in his dog days as a Raptor and was buried on the bench. He didn't play a single second of the game until he entered with seconds left and the team down 3. The Wizards grabbed the miss and a Wiz threw the ball in the air to celebrate, Mo Pete grabbed the ball and hoisted a prayer that was answered for the tie and OT.

Since I don't live in Tor I don't make to many games, but I was there when Bosh got stuffed my Joakim Noah on a game winner against the Bulls. I also remember a thunderous alley-oop throw down by Walter Hermann (shocking I know) when he was with the Pistons.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

since they announced we were getting a team.

i remember being extremely upset that we drafted Mighty Mouse instead of Ed O'Bannon.... wow was i ever wrong on that one

Comment

First memory I have of the team is from Like Mike lol The next year I attended my first game which was against the Orlando Magic. I was about 8 or 9 years old. Originally, as a child I was an Allen Iverson fan. I even went to a game in Philly back in 2005 against Toronto (it was their first meeting since Donyell Marshall dropped 12 3's on the Sixers). Iverson won the game with a pull up jumper with 2 seconds left. Was the best game I ever went to see.

So originally my first favourite team was Philly because of Iverson. But I slowly became a Raptors fan because all of their games were broadcasted on my television.

Sunday afternoon games when I was a kid were the fucking best. Even though the Raptors often lost in close battles. They were always a fun team to cheer for.
        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

started watching them in the VC/T MAC area. stopped for a long time when T MAC left. never watched the supposed bosh/bargs era.

started randomly paying attention again last season when they got over that 4-19 hump.

so yah, it took a decade for me to care about the raptors again. too bad its NOWHERE close to how exciting the VC days were

Comment

I'm with Heinz on this one; I've been here since Day 0.
            I remember sitting in class when they were doing the contest for the Team Name.

Went to a couple games that first season as well.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
              never watched the supposed bosh/bargs era.
              Ugh, I guess we do have to call that an "Era", huh? ... anyone who did watch during this 'era' will be happy to forget.

Comment

Remember that time we drafted BJ Armstrong in the expansion draft and he said he wouldn't play in Canada....that was the first of the many times I got metaphorically punched in the gut being a Raptors fan.

so.....1995?

Comment

isiah jumping through the logo, lol
                  and stoudamire tearing shit up
                  when the nba was good, even if the raptors were shit

Comment

Been a fan since "day 0" myself.

In terms of tickets, I never made it to any games during the SkyDome period, but I was there for the very first Raptors game at the ACC in 1999 (vs. Vancouver).

My favourite moment has to be from the 2000-01 playoffs with Alvin Williams hitting a clutch jumper at Madison Square Garden, late in the 4th quarter, sealing the series victory in favour of the Raptors. At that moment, the team had FINALLY shaken the "expansion" label and established themselves as a legit up-and-coming threat in the Eastern Conference by taking down the veteran Knicks team (who had owned us the year before).

Little did we know that was the peak of this franchise....
                    Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Jul 4, 2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      Ugh, I guess we do have to call that an "Era", huh? ... anyone who did watch during this 'era' will be happy to forget.
                      I prefer to call it the Fred Jones/Luke Jackson era

in a weird way, it makes me feel better

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                        Remember that time we drafted BJ Armstrong in the expansion draft and he said he wouldn't play in Canada....that was the first of the many times I got metaphorically punched in the gut being a Raptors fan.

so.....1995?
                        Who knew that BJ Armstrong was a prophet?
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

This is the Philly game I attended as a kid. Now-a-days I'd be royally upset after watching AI drain a game winner on the Raps, but back then I was a big AI fan and this was so sweet. Me and my old man drove 10 hours to attend this game and fuck was it worth it.

You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Since they day I couldn't believe they chose the name "raptors". It's gotten better since then

Comment

since 1999 when i moved out here from ottawa. was a casual fan ("vince is super!") for a while and then around the time vince left was when i started getting more interested and knowing the ins and outs of it all.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X