No announcement yet.

Raptors - a playoff team in 2013-14?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we really sure NY is a lock? Right now they have 11 guys on their roster, only one true C in Chandler who has no offensive game. Their line-up will look something like:

Felton/ Prigioni
    Shumpert/ Smith/ Hardaway
    Anthony/ World Peace
    Stoudemire/ Bargnani
    Chandler/ Barron

A lot of the guys on their team have a hard time staying healthy, they are over the cap on four players alone. To me it seems they could have a really shaky season.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
      Are we really sure NY is a lock?
      Yes. They had injury problems last season too and still reeled off 50 wins, and the new pieces they've added that aren't Bargs look to be replacement value or even potentially upgrades (Metta, Hardaway Jr.).

Are they going to be as good as they were last year? Probably not. But they're still going to make playoffs.

Comment

Are we really sure NY is a lock? Right now they have 11 guys on their roster, only one true C in Chandler who has no offensive game. Their line-up will look something like:

Felton/ Prigioni
        Anthony/ World Peace
        Stoudemire/ Bargnani
        Chandler/ Barron

A lot of the guys on their team have a hard time staying healthy, they are over the cap on four players alone. To me it seems they could have a really shaky season.
        Tell me the other teams who could be better than them
        or have more talent? Besides, the other "locks"
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Are we really sure NY is a lock? Right now they have 11 guys on their roster, only one true C in Chandler who has no offensive game. Their line-up will look something like:

Felton/ Prigioni
          Anthony/ World Peace
          Stoudemire/ Bargnani
          Chandler/ Barron

A similar looking Knicks team won 54 games last year. I think they're paper contenders in the East in the truest sense of the word but I'd say there's a ~95% chance they make the playoffs next year.

Comment

Felton/ Prigioni
            Anthony/ World Peace
            Stoudemire/ Bargnani
            Chandler/ Barron

I think the KNicks will regress. They had a lot go right last year. Still, it's a big regression from 54 wins to not in the playoffs. Unless Melo is hurt for an extended period, I can't see them losing 40+ games.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
              If you accept that at least some of Rudy, Kyle and DeMar need to go at some point, then the next question is "when" and from a risk-modelling standpoint the answer is "the sooner the better," because they're all basically known quantities and the odds (for Rudy and DeMar more than Kyle) are that their trade values are more likely to drop than raise.
              I think that's a good point, but "trade value" in the NBA isn't a static thing; the best trades tend to be opportunistic ones. So yes, perhaps Rudy Gay has more "trade value" right now in the Bill Simmons sense than he will at the trade deadline, or even next offseason if he opts in. But you also have to take into account the opportunity cost of potentially missing out on some GM desperate to fill a hole in a playoff-bound roster that just lost a player to injury. Or a team that didn't gel well, and needs a missing piece. The Wolves have a weird situation right now; maybe if things don't go the way management hopes they'll look to re-tool. Maybe some unknown unknown, as Rumsfeld would say, will pop up.

Trading for 'best available value' can miss out on great unexpected or time-limited options. All indicators say that Masai's a patient man; I think he'll wait unless he can get really good value. I also don't think he'll hesitate to pull the trigger if the right offer comes along.

Comment

• The Raptors have to win games to make the playoffs. We all know that right?

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                  ...If you accept that at least some of Rudy, Kyle and DeMar need to go at some point, then the next question is "when" and from a risk-modelling standpoint the answer is "the sooner the better," because they're all basically known quantities and the odds (for Rudy and DeMar more than Kyle) are that their trade values are more likely to drop than raise. ... It just makes more sense to trade him now. (See also: DeMar.)
                  I never argued that he shouldn't be traded. You suggested that the roster, "as built" couldn't add top tier free agents. My argument is that the roster "as built" won't stay as built for the next three years. I would suggest that the roster can remain much as it is for most of this season, and then begin a process of change that sees a significantly different roster for the 2014-2015 season. I trust that Masai knows what he is doing.

The team can compete, provide fun games to watch and still build towards a championship contender over the next 4-5 years with "intelligent management." I am not guaranteeing that will happen, but it can. You obviously can't say it that it won't. Having a strong opinion about what may or may not, about what is likely or is not does not count as having "the facts" on your side.

Set up you Google Calendar or Outloook appointment scheduler to revisit this on Jan 1 2016, and we will see who has bragging rights.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    The Raptors have to win games to make the playoffs. We all know that right?
                    With the amount of supposed tanking going on this year. They won't have to win all that many
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      I never argued that he shouldn't be traded. You suggested that the roster, "as built" couldn't add top tier free agents. My argument is that the roster "as built" won't stay as built for the next three years.
                      Well, yes, that's certainly possible. You can just go look at Hoopshype's salary projector and see when all the contracts expire. But if this roster isn't what you want going forward, and it has a low ceiling (and even the most ridiculously optimistic projections over on the projections thread top out at the 6th seed), then there really isn't any reason to keep it.

Comment

• The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round.....................

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
                          The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round.....................
                          Round and round

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                            Round and round
                            all through downtown
                            What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                            The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                            No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                              all through downtown
                              Isn't it "all through the town"?

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                                Isn't it "all through the town"?
                                oh it is, but downtown is better
                                What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                                The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                                No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Working...
                                X