Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabi send down to D-League... again... again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I think next season Alabi will be our official back up center. He still has an incredible amount of potential as a defensive center, more than Ajinca because he has a naturally bigger frame. I actually really like Ajinca too and I wish we could try to develop both and pick whichever one turns out better, but I don't think it's in the cards.
    I hope you're right but I think it's more realistic that he's a 3rd string big, which is still a step up from this year. Think of him getting Dorsey's minutes, he'd still get PT when injuries are bound to happen.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
      I hope you're right but I think it's more realistic that he's a 3rd string big, which is still a step up from this year. Think of him getting Dorsey's minutes, he'd still get PT when injuries are bound to happen.
      That's sort of what I had in mind when I said back up, but maybe more of a ten minute a game thing instead of Dorsey's regular "DNP-Coaches decision". I think we'll have a solid player in three or four years though, maybe even starter material.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

If he ends up being a 3rd string big then he's over come the odds tied with being taken in the second round and sticking in the league.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          If he ends up being a 3rd string big then he's over come the odds tied with being taken in the second round and sticking in the league.
          I still think he has a great shot at being a backup in this league. Keep in mind most draft sites had him projected to go in the top 25 and he only fell because of the hep B thing. If BC is willing to give him the time to develop and he pushes it hard in the gym, I think he'll surprise a lot of people in the next couple season. Here's hoping anyway!
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Well, if he ends up being a 3rd string big then he's overcome the odds tied with being taken outside the top 25 and sticking in the league.

And that's not me saying 3rd string is my prediction of his career.

Comment

I love how BC hype up all his second round picks and then when it doesn't work out he swipe them under the carpet and pretend that they never existed.

Comment

He called Alabi a project from the get go and how is he swiping him under the carpet? You'd rather him be sent out and embarrassed, maybe have his confidence wrecked because he's not ready?

Comment

Yeah BC shoulda said "I really think this guys is gonna suck. I mean we have to pick somebody and his name sounds pretty cool."

Much more realistic.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    They're only allowed to send him down three times so if he gets called up again he's with the big club the rest of the way.

I think what they've been doing is sending him there to get in game experience, then calling him up to assess his progress and offer additional instruction. At that point they send him down again for more playing time. They look to be trying to develop the guy. He's not ready for the NBA yet so it could be detrimental to his confidence to force it on him. He's a second rounder. He's a project. Projects take time, they're projects.
                    He's a second rounder that was predicted to go around 26th though and he fell in the draft because of hep B or something. but yah i think next year he may get a little burn and maybe he could become a decent backup center or atleast a 3rd string C

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
                      They should sit Anjica and play Alabi.
                      We are in a tank mode anyway...
                      what are you talking about ? right now Alabi sucks.... Ajinca, sucks less..... thats why they play ajinca. Ajinca is 22 the same age as alabi, alabi is still waaaay to raw... thats why they play ajinca. the team is trying to figure out who to keep and who to cut.... thats why they play ajinca. yea it would be nice to get alabi minutes but not if he will just be embarassed. Wait and see how ajinca does and next year i bet alabi gets a shot if he has improoved.

some people on here dont know anything about alabi or ajinca (you know who u r)... so why are you commenting?
                      Last edited by pesterm1; Fri Mar 11, 2011, 02:47 AM.

Comment

I will tell you what I see when I watch him (watched him play last night). He is a guy you use in a half court set which toronto doesn't play cause it slows the game down. He sets excellent picks and screens, I consistently see people get open when he sets a pick. His entry pass denial has gotten much better. He is playing the pick and roll better on the defensive side of the ball and I see aggression from him in short spaces. I honestly think he can make a good defensive team better and get his points on put backs. I don't think he will ever dominate any side of the ball single handedly which Toronto needs him to do because everyone else sucks defensively. I have seen hints of another level but it's not nearly enough. Last thing that I have seen which I like is he put on some weight

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                          I still think he has a great shot at being a backup in this league. Keep in mind most draft sites had him projected to go in the top 25 and he only fell because of the hep B thing. If BC is willing to give him the time to develop and he pushes it hard in the gym, I think he'll surprise a lot of people in the next couple season. Here's hoping anyway!
                          i think he could become a Serge Ibaka type guy.

Comment

Good to see he's at least got his FG% to a respectable level.
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

He actually has a decent stroke on his jumper and can knock down open shots from the elbow. The biggest thing with Alabi is his awareness. He looks lost alot out there and if he can just learn when and where to move, he'll look like a much better player.

-Churchill

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                                i think he could become a Serge Ibaka type guy.
                                I would have to disagree. That is an insult to Ibaka, in my opinion. Ibaka is a year younger, already in his second year, and has contributed from the beginning in the NBA - he put up numbers similar to Ed Davis type numbers last year.

I don't hold much faith in Alabi - as much as I'd like to be wrong. Ujiri should have took him with him to DEN as he was his project. Again, I hope I'm wrong but that is my opinion right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X