Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raps make ESPN's 5 on 5 list. Not in a good way though!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps make ESPN's 5 on 5 list. Not in a good way though!

4. Biggest disappointment of the first month of the season is … : http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...storylines-nba see for yourself. I am actually surprises that the Raps got mentioned in this at all. Does that mean people in the NBA expected more of us? Wow our time to turn some head and it turned out being in the other direction.

Can we catch a break? Guess we are doomed! Kidding, but in all seriousness, we wanted to be talked about so now we are.

5. Most important thing to know about the first month of the season is …

Poulard: The Eastern Conference's bottom feeders are quite awful. Toronto, Cleveland and Washington have as many wins combined as the Phoenix Suns.

Pretty crazy bu true!

Comment

I don't know how this team is significantly worse than last years. It baffles me.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

yeah, I guess I have to stop taking what these guys on ESPN say to heart!

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          I don't know how this team is significantly worse than last years. It baffles me.
          3 new starters, 2 new rookies, 1 rookie starting center
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Raptors are quite the same team like they were last year, after injury Lowry isn't a big (if any) upgrade of Jose, Valanciunas lacks experience and strength. McGuire is probably even worse than James Johnson who at least brought some blocks, athleticism and energy. Somehow we are terrible in defence and team chemistry doesn't look that good like it was last year (maybe I'm wrong with the last statement)... The main difference is that last year we were tanking team and now we are playoff contenders (according to BC)
            Last edited by japetas; Thu Nov 29, 2012, 03:53 PM.
            (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

It doesn't baffle me, it blows me away.

The new players brought in, in my opinion, were upgrades over last season (Lowry>Bayless, Fields>Johnson, JV>Alabi/Magloire, Ross>Forbes {sorry, ceez}, McGuire>Butler).

I don't understand.

Comment

I guess now its fairly obvious that last year's defensive improvement were anchored by JJ and Bayless since now that theyre gone, the defense went along with them.

Certainly Fields and AA are no upgrades over JJ and Lucas and Calderon on Bayless.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

The new players brought in, in my opinion, were upgrades over last season (Lowry>Bayless, Fields>Johnson, JV>Alabi/Magloire, Ross>Forbes {sorry, ceez}, McGuire>Butler).

I don't understand.
                  Chemistry maybe? Injuries?

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                    how about both of those things?

Comment

Casey's success last season was with his ability for his players to play defense. Bryan gave Casey a bonus because he was able to transform the team's defensive identity.

This year it seems to be all about offense, which has killed their defense. If Casey went back to what he did last year, things would be much different. The talent is marginally better than last year, but the decision making has become much worse.

Either that or all the other teams have scouted Toronto a lot better and know how to beat them.

Comment

Totally agree

I don't understand.
                        I thought at very least we would be as lousy as last year too. The funny thing is I thought our upgrades were just as good as the Nets...(insert fart noise). Preseason set my expectations way higher than they should have been.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                          Chemistry for sure. But I would argue that the injuries may have helped us (ie if LF wasnt hurt, no way that T Ross gets time .. who is clearly our best 2/3 after Demar). Its really, really frustrating.

I think the one thing that ppl are missing is that the rest of the league got a lot better (especially the bottom feeders). Charlotte, Nets in particular .. but still, it doesnt explain 3-12!

Maybe the biggest factor is that we have just lost so many close games .. 2 or 3 of the last posession games go our way and it doesnt look nearly as bad...

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            3 new starters, 2 new rookies, 1 rookie starting center
                            More Talent outweighs youth.

Inexcusable.

Comment

I don't understand.
                              Neither do I, Matt. Clever avatar, but the struggles this year as compared to last year are not on Colangelo. As you said, he brought in talent upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                              X