Raps Play off bound - Book it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    Bryan could also try to fleece a team that is lottery bound and try and steal their pick from them. Unlikely but there are some pretty dumb GM/owners around (*cough* Dumars *cough*)
    True. A third option could also be to trade Barbosa for a late 1st round pick, make the playoffs, then trade their two picks (ie: #15 & #2x) for a top-10 pick... who knows, it's been done before.

I still think BC is hoping his team continues playing hard for Casey, remains competitive enough to keep morale up throughout the season, only to wind up in the middle of the lottery standings, hoping for some luck with the ping pong balls. I think BC will also look to add additional picks. I think Barbosa is 99% gone, Calderon & Bayless & either Amir/Davis are all at least 50% gone, if BC can get decent returns for them.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I think Barbosa is 99% gone
      I thought so too until Hoopsworld suggested that Colangelo wants Barbosa back:

https://twitter.com/#!/TheRocketGuy/...34265094451201

Comment

sigh...this brings back such fond memories of bygone days. like, from a few weeks ago, when they were 4-5 & the talk of playoffs started and me-oh-my wouldn't it be great for the youngsters on the team to get that playoff experience (read: as a fan, i'm tired of being embarrassed by my team)! btw...why do we point to 'playoff experience' as some great thing? how'd that work out for the raps a few years ago? or is andrea just having a delayed (positive) reaction to his playoff experiences from 1/2-a-decade ago?

yes, bargs' injury & subsequent suckitude curtailed that talk, but now that they've gone & won ONE game without bargs (and LB, for that matter), here we go again. but but but...3-2 on the 5-game road trip = JUBILATION! yeah yeah, i'm a cynic, but i still think that once teams get a handle on how to handle the compressed schedule, lack of rest & practice time, the 'haves' will start to distance themselves from the 'nots.' the raptors should embrace their role as 'nots,' (for this year, at least) get the kids as many reps as possible, figure out who's a keeper & who's trade bait, and proceed with Tankapalooza 2012 as planned. then go full guns blazing for that coveted 8th seed next year...if things go well between then & now, they'll:

a) have a solid idea who amongst the current roster is a building block & who isn't;
        b) turn one (or more) of their tradeable assets into a future-oriented asset (be it a current or future pick, a player with potential, etc);
        b) be adding a top-5 (or thereabouts) pick in this draft, as well as JV;
        c) have an actual FA signing period to add a piece (if the fit is right) & an offseason with which to make trades;
        d) have an actual training camp following a year of absorbing a lot of new information from a new coaching staff.

these things don't happen overnight, and it does seem like the republic has been waiting an awful long time for anything resembling a competitive team...but nothing would flatten out the rebuilding curve quicker than foolishly thinking they could make a playoff run this year, if it means sacrificing a high lotto pick in a loaded draft. next year? go for it, since there is a limit to the # of young guys one team can have on a roster before you start cutting into their development. so yeah, give them the rest of this year to set up the roster for next, bring over JV, draft a stud this year, fill in a blank or two in FA (doesn't have to be a major acquisition), give DC & his staff the summer to implement a system/mindset, have a full training camp & go go go. they'll still be pretty bad, but next year is the one in which the goal becomes playoffs.
        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

The timing couldn't be better to see ESPN update it's "Playoff Odds"...

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

One has to wonder if the machine spitting out the projections is aware of Bogut's injury and the potential impact his loss could have on the Bucks?!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post

haven't we learned to take things said by management about players - in particular, about future FA players - with about 3 tonnes of salt? what, exactly, is BC going to say if the subject is broached? 'nah, i think leandro's a great guy, and we have a history, but when his deal with the raps expires, we're kicking him to the curb. we may be a lottery team, but the message we're trying to send out to other teams (i.e. potential trade partners) is that he's not good enough to play for the great TORONTO RAPTORS long term. instead, we'd like him to just go away. thanks for asking!'

isn't the idea in 'fleecing' another GM to build up the value of the guy you're trying to deal, so that other GM offers more in return? there's also something to be said for being known as a GM/franchise that does right by players (which is something we've seen a number of times in the past). letting it be 'known' that he'd like to re-sign barbosa is a 'nice' thing to be out there.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
              sigh...this brings back such fond memories of bygone days. like, from a few weeks ago, when they were 4-5 & the talk of playoffs started and me-oh-my wouldn't it be great for the youngsters on the team to get that playoff experience (read: as a fan, i'm tired of being embarrassed by my team)! btw...why do we point to 'playoff experience' as some great thing? how'd that work out for the raps a few years ago? or is andrea just having a delayed (positive) reaction to his playoff experiences from 1/2-a-decade ago?

yes, bargs' injury & subsequent suckitude curtailed that talk, but now that they've gone & won ONE game without bargs (and LB, for that matter), here we go again. but but but...3-2 on the 5-game road trip = JUBILATION! yeah yeah, i'm a cynic, but i still think that once teams get a handle on how to handle the compressed schedule, lack of rest & practice time, the 'haves' will start to distance themselves from the 'nots.' the raptors should embrace their role as 'nots,' (for this year, at least) get the kids as many reps as possible, figure out who's a keeper & who's trade bait, and proceed with Tankapalooza 2012 as planned. then go full guns blazing for that coveted 8th seed next year...if things go well between then & now, they'll:

a) have a solid idea who amongst the current roster is a building block & who isn't;
              b) turn one (or more) of their tradeable assets into a future-oriented asset (be it a current or future pick, a player with potential, etc);
              b) be adding a top-5 (or thereabouts) pick in this draft, as well as JV;
              c) have an actual FA signing period to add a piece (if the fit is right) & an offseason with which to make trades;
              d) have an actual training camp following a year of absorbing a lot of new information from a new coaching staff.

these things don't happen overnight, and it does seem like the republic has been waiting an awful long time for anything resembling a competitive team...but nothing would flatten out the rebuilding curve quicker than foolishly thinking they could make a playoff run this year, if it means sacrificing a high lotto pick in a loaded draft. next year? go for it, since there is a limit to the # of young guys one team can have on a roster before you start cutting into their development. so yeah, give them the rest of this year to set up the roster for next, bring over JV, draft a stud this year, fill in a blank or two in FA (doesn't have to be a major acquisition), give DC & his staff the summer to implement a system/mindset, have a full training camp & go go go. they'll still be pretty bad, but next year is the one in which the goal becomes playoffs.
              Great post. The bolded made me laugh out loud.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                The timing couldn't be better to see ESPN update it's "Playoff Odds"...

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

One has to wonder if the machine spitting out the projections is aware of Bogut's injury and the potential impact his loss could have on the Bucks?!
                Wonder how we ended up with better odds than the Cavs, considering their better record.

And the scariest number is our 2.6% chance of winning the draft lottery.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                  haven't we learned to take things said by management about players - in particular, about future FA players - with about 3 tonnes of salt? what, exactly, is BC going to say if the subject is broached? 'nah, i think leandro's a great guy, and we have a history, but when his deal with the raps expires, we're kicking him to the curb. we may be a lottery team, but the message we're trying to send out to other teams (i.e. potential trade partners) is that he's not good enough to play for the great TORONTO RAPTORS long term. instead, we'd like him to just go away. thanks for asking!'

isn't the idea in 'fleecing' another GM to build up the value of the guy you're trying to deal, so that other GM offers more in return? there's also something to be said for being known as a GM/franchise that does right by players (which is something we've seen a number of times in the past). letting it be 'known' that he'd like to re-sign barbosa is a 'nice' thing to be out there.
                  Yes, Colangelo's words should be taken with a grain of salt, but the point is, we just don't know what he's thinking. He could be simply "upping" Barbosa's value, or he could be telling the truth.

Comment

gosh I hope not. Great scorer, great guy. lousy defender. lousy size for 2 spot.

Wonder how we ended up with better odds than the Cavs, considering their better record.

And the scariest number is our 2.6% chance of winning the draft lottery.
                    Finishing 9th is the worst possible scenario!!
                    - no playoff buzz to carry in to next season
                    - low lottery odds
                    - lower 2nd round pick

win big or loose big ... can't this team do anything right?
                    Last edited by charlz; Mon Jan 30, 2012, 03:37 PM.
                    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Yes, Colangelo's words should be taken with a grain of salt, but the point is, we just don't know what he's thinking. He could be simply "upping" Barbosa's value, or he could be telling the truth.
                      my hope is his thinking is something along the lines of: 'if leandro wants to sign a 1-yr deal for the vet minimum, then by all means, i'm open to that.' because that's the same thing as 're-signing' him, even if the words 're-signing' immediately conjures up images of him being signed to something close to the value of his current deal (and if THAT'S what BC is thinking - to re-sign him to anything within 50% of his current deal - then he needs to be taken behind the woodshed with a cattle-prod).

Comment

Say what? Am I missing something here? I thought someone typed playoff, rather than layoff.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

pleaase say it ain't so!! Im begging for the raptors to fall into the lottery this year! I want to put all my chips in for next season when big Val + lottery rookie come along! Please dont let us fall into the forever abyss of the mediocre PLEEASSSEE!! :'(
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post

Finishing 9th is the worst possible scenario!!
                            - no playoff buzz to carry in to next season
                            - low lottery odds
                            - lower 2nd round pick

win big or loose big ... can't this team do anything right?
                            I agree which is why I think BC might send away the parts he does not see as part of the future for virtually nothing (TPE, late draft picks, cap space this summer) if the other eastern conference teams don't start putting it all together. Obviously there are pro's and con's to this line of thinking.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              pleaase say it ain't so!! Im begging for the raptors to fall into the lottery this year! I want to put all my chips in for next season when big Val + lottery rookie come along! Please dont let us fall into the forever abyss of the mediocre PLEEASSSEE!! :'(
                              By mid March tanking season will be full blown with starters coming down with mysterious ailments and serious minutes given to players for developmental reasons.

Raptors starting five circa April 1:
                              Bayless, Forbes, Butler, ED, Gray/Alabi

Comment

I called 25-30 win season before it started and thats still what I see ... we will only get better and Big Barg will be back in a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X