Giannis Adetokunbo 6-9 Greek Freak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basilis wrote: View Post
    Not one person here was able to disprove the Greek citizenship, living in Greece as kids, or being raised in Greece, and Greek basketball development of those players. NOT ONE person.

You just trolled, OUTRIGHT BLATANTLY LIED, and acted like incredibly rude, xenophobic and ignorant jerks.

Yeah, they have Greek citizenship, they were learning basketball in Greece, etc. But yeah, suddenly none of that is true because a few IGNORANT clown trolls on this forum said so.

You have ZERO credibility. ZERO.

I mean yeah, nothing Greek at all about this guy (after all, he's just doing TV shows in his HOME country Greece to show people in USA where he came from and where he still lived in summers during NBA off season - yeah how the hell could he be Greek???):

Seriously, you are so ignorant it's disgusting.
    Know any good Greek restaurants?

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      in Toronto? Mezes gets a lot of attention....I've always had a soft spot for Pantheon. If you want a souvlaki pita, you can't beat Square Boy for quick and cheap. It's hard to find good quick (and authentic) gyros, but if you're on the Danforth to sit for a meal, Messini had pretty solid gyro meals....If you're on Pape, you can get a wicked chicken gyro from Folia Grill.

All this has to consider I haven't lived in Toronto for a few years.

*I know you're probably kidding. But Toronto has pretty good Greek food.

**And avoid anything called Mr. Greek or the Friendly Greek and such....
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
        Can I summarize your post? If yes, then:
        "Greece, Greek, Xenophobic, Home country, Greek, Lied, Zero, clown trolls, ignorant, disgusting, jerks"

So you're basically saying
        That we are rude.
        That you love Greece.
        That you love every player who has played in Greece.
        That you are nationalist.
        That you are here to debate everything Greece related

And I'm basically saying.
        This is Raptors fans forum.
        You don't seem to be nice and reliable source.
        And:
        My goodness. Are the Golden Dawn taking over RR too?

But on a serious note, I did appreciate Balisis' views.... but a chill pill is in order.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          HAHAHAHAHA amazing

so was the spongebob thing....

what were we talkingn about?

O yeah,

White men can't jump....

my concern with guys like that is that when they grow like this at that age, they don't settle into a position...more importantly a skill set.

then they say they are "good at everything", which they are...but you have to be great at everything to be a player in the NBA and really great at at least 1 thing to secure a job there.

I am just saying it's not like hes a 6'10 guy who can shoot the lights out or dribble particularly well. He should test himself against AMERICAN players and AMERICAN systems to see how he fairs before we look at taking him

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
            HAHAHAHAHA amazing

so was the spongebob thing....

what were we talkingn about?

O yeah,

White men can't jump....

my concern with guys like that is that when they grow like this at that age, they don't settle into a position...more importantly a skill set.

then they say they are "good at everything", which they are...but you have to be great at everything to be a player in the NBA and really great at at least 1 thing to secure a job there.

I am just saying it's not like hes a 6'10 guy who can shoot the lights out or dribble particularly well. He should test himself against AMERICAN players and AMERICAN systems to see how he fairs before we look at taking him
            Lots of guys have late growth spurt. T-Mac grew 2 or 3 inches after getting drafted. IT didn't hinder his development, and his game was really raw when he came into the league.

This really isn't true though. Basilis is right about that aspect of things....ACB or GreekA1 are both very good leagues, generally a much higher level than NCAA, and just below NBA for the better teams. The problem is Giannis hasn't even played at that level yet. The A2 league can't be a good measuring stick if most elite Euro-to-NBA prospects are judged from play in the top division.

It definitely clouds things that he hasn't really played against significant men's competition. At the same time, that's clearly part of the reason he's likely to be drafted this season instead of next. He looks to possibly have lottery potential, but due to his sudden surge onto the scene this year, could be snagged with a lower pick. IF he went next year, his stock could well be higher if he keeps developing, and so low 1st rd teams (playoff teams) will definitely take the chance to draft such a talent now, since they have less access to such players. Especially teams that are frequently in the playoffs.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 12, 2013, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Wait a minute Basilis you call people trolls because they get information from "reliable" sources, yet you refuse to post links to your evidence?

1/If he was Greek when reports on him came out why was his eldest brother forced to play pro soccer in Nigeria?
              2/Why has he not played a second for the Greek National team at any age group?
              3/Where are all the links to video of his games at the pro level?

Computers are amazing, they can do this thing called translating languages. Post links to Greek websites if you have to.
              Everyone here has read the posts at Draft Express-- a website run by a scout who works for NBA teams.

Am I to believe you? A person who just spits angry venom and accuses people of being trolls for believing reliable sources? Or, should I believe websites run by professionals who have manners, and understand the concept of evidence. Funny, you come from the country that created the concept of debate yet you lack the ability to use the basic tools of the concept (Building an argument using widely excepted evidence or sources).

As a person who carries an EU passport I will continue to believe that he is not a Greek citizen because I know better than most how difficult it is for people of African heritage to get citizenship to any EU nation regardless of being born there. The saving grace of his family is that all three sons appear to be special athletes in a country that respects sporting talent. If he is a citizen of Greece I'll gladly step back. But until you are willing to post news reports, or evidence to the contrary YOU good sir are the troll.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Ok, well first off, I said the A2 is at best probably around the better NCAA level, and that the worst A1 teams are arguably worse than the better NCAA teams. This isn't so outlandish.

I have watched plenty of ACB and A1 ball. The bad teams in those leagues are really really bad. I would say that in any given year, such weak teams are arguably worse than top NCAA teams, which can be stacked with one and done talent (like last year's Kentucky team). Last year's Kentucky team was better than some NBA teams according to certain analysts....are you telling me that still every team in the A1, and even A2 was better than them?

So, I don't think anyone is being too ignorant...and I question your objectivity
                Everything in bold actually is fairly outlandish statements.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                My goodness. Are the Golden Dawn taking over RR too?

But on a serious note, I did appreciate Balisis' views.... but a chill pill is in order.
                There are numerous people here making all kinds of very insulting and very xenophobic comments directed towards Greece, Greek players, etc. They are doing that just to be extremely rude and out of line and for no other reason.

There is NO reason for there to be bashing of Greece or Greek players here just because a discussion about a Greek player came up in the forum. Frankly, an outsider coming here to read this forum is going to think that a lot of the Raptors' fan base is extremely racist based on the comments by a lot of people here.

The people making these out of line and derogatory statements are the ones that need to take a chill pill. I am only here to discuss BASKETBALL, but then I see post after post insulting a particular country and its people for no reason, other than to be pushing some kind of nationalist xenophobic zealotry.

It's sad that stuff like that comes up simply from a discussion about a player from a country other than Canada or the USA in the forum. Or the comments like, "this is the same guy that said so and so is Greek..yeah, NOT a reliable source and this guy is a liar" and blah blah blah.

Hopefully, these people saying this stuff are about 10 years old. Otherwise, they need to grow up. I will be more than happy to answer anything about Adetokoubo, but the derogatory comments about Greece, Greek players, etc. needs to stop.

It's not too much to ask for that.
                Last edited by Basilis; Sat Apr 13, 2013, 07:38 AM.

Comment

And he strikes again!
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                    Wait a minute Basilis you call people trolls because they get information from "reliable" sources, yet you refuse to post links to your evidence?

1/If he was Greek when reports on him came out why was his eldest brother forced to play pro soccer in Nigeria?
                    2/Why has he not played a second for the Greek National team at any age group?
                    3/Where are all the links to video of his games at the pro level?

Computers are amazing, they can do this thing called translating languages. Post links to Greek websites if you have to.
                    Everyone here has read the posts at Draft Express-- a website run by a scout who works for NBA teams.

Am I to believe you? A person who just spits angry venom and accuses people of being trolls for believing reliable sources? Or, should I believe websites run by professionals who have manners, and understand the concept of evidence. Funny, you come from the country that created the concept of debate yet you lack the ability to use the basic tools of the concept (Building an argument using widely excepted evidence or sources).

As a person who carries an EU passport I will continue to believe that he is not a Greek citizen because I know better than most how difficult it is for people of African heritage to get citizenship to any EU nation regardless of being born there. The saving grace of his family is that all three sons appear to be special athletes in a country that respects sporting talent. If he is a citizen of Greece I'll gladly step back. But until you are willing to post news reports, or evidence to the contrary YOU good sir are the troll.
                    Is there an ignore option here?
                    Last edited by Basilis; Sat Apr 13, 2013, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Everything in bold actually is fairly outlandish statements.

There are numerous people here making all kinds of very insulting and very xenophobic comments directed towards Greece, Greek players, etc. They are doing that just to be extremely rude and out of line and for no other reason.

There is NO reason for there to be bashing of Greece or Greek players here just because a discussion about a Greek player came up in the forum. Frankly, an outsider coming here to read this forum is going to think that a lot of the Raptors' fan base is extremely racist based on the comments by a lot of people here.

The people making these out of line and derogatory statements are the ones that need to take a chill pill. I am only here to discuss BASKETBALL, but then I see post after post insulting a particular country and its people for no reason, other than to be pushing some kind of nationalist xenophobic zealotry.

It's sad that stuff like that comes up simply from a discussion about a player from a country other than Canada or the USA in the forum. Or the comments like, "this is the same guy that said so and so is Greek..yeah, NOT a reliable source and this guy is a liar" and blah blah blah.

Hopefully, these people saying this stuff are about 10 years old. Otherwise, they need to grow up. I will be more than happy to answer anything about Adetokoubo, but the derogatory comments about Greece, Greek players, etc. needs to stop.

It's not too much to ask for that.
                      What comments about Adetokunbo were so derogatory?

Go back and read the thread. You went off on white men can't jump for saying: "He has never played against a high level of competition." TWICE. I am sorry but we are talking about the NBA here, the best league in the world. Players coming out of club/junior teams or playing second tier Euro League competition is hardly top talent. Biyombo played in ACB and JV played in EuroLeague, EuroCup, Baltic League, etc. all top leagues in Europe. The knock on Adetokunbo is he hasn't played against top talent yet - that is a fair statement considering there is still another level of competition in Europe he has yet to play. So he has played against adult competition but adult competition is not necessarily good competition. Providing a link to the league site would have been much more productive and informative for readers.

THen you went off on blackjitsu for saying: "kid has citizenship nowhere." Well, from all the reports from media/blogs in North America, that is what is being reported. Greece and Nigeria are trying to secure his rights to play for their national teams. Here is a link other than DraftExpress.com. You refer to debunking in Greek media but yet provide no source. Very few people around here take others at their word - back your claims up with sources or prepared to be dismissed.

white men can't jump then asks you point blank: "Do you have any evidence of how well he is doing in the A2 league?" I don't recall seeing any reply from you on that. Again, provide sources, links, stats or prepared to be dismissed.

You then go on a tangent because of NoProps saying: "This is coming from the guy who said all these players are Greek:" If NoProps is wrong, why not simply state the Greek connections? That would put him in his place and give you a bit of credibility.

I am sorry but you are being very irrational and sensitive. I was joking about the Golden Dawn but from what I've read you fit the profile of a member. No one has bashed Greece here and you have taken offense on some pretty petty stuff. This is like a group of people eating fried chicken and someone saying, "I find this chicken too greasy, what do you think?" And then the person flipping out, "What!?!?! I'm black so I have to like fried chicken? You ignorant, racist mo'fo!"

By the way, since Basilis was more interested in ranting and raving about the homeland, here is a link to Adetokunbo's profile:
                      http://basketball.eurobasket.com/pla...ikos_AO/230437
                      It has gamelog there. Here is league page from Eurobasket.com:
                      http://www.eurobasket.com/Greece/bas...-League-A2.asp

I'm not going to pretend to know too much about Greek A2 basketball but looking through the site most of the players appear to be in their 20's. However, I do not recognize any of the players. You stated:

Greek A2 League is loaded with pro players in their 20s and 30s. Guys that played first division in Greece and other good leagues like Italy and Spain..guys that played second European league (Eurocup), guys that played first European league (Euroleague).
                      If they are so good, why aren't they still playing there? How much did they play when they were there? How long did they play? Are most players in the A2 league not good enough to play up or are they past their prime and declining? The bottom line is most European guys drafted in the NBA have experience playing in the very top leagues of Europe. Greek A2 is not a top league, period.

If you come in here making claims, it is on you to back it up. Instead of providing information or enlightening us, you decided to come off like a Golden Dawn spokesperson riling up your own Greek national pride and attempting to engage on the lowest denominator of conversation.

SO since I provided the stat and league information, maybe you could just provide us with the citizenship media reports so we can put the North American media claims to rest. Thanks. That would be much appreciated.
                      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 13, 2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Is there an ignore option here?
                        We all feel the same way...

Comment

My apologies Basilis, looks like he is Greek OR soon will be.

Adetokoubo has applied for the Greek passport and all reports claim it's just a matter of time and bureaucracy before he is a Greek. But so much is dependent on the papers.
                          http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...5082/arti.html

According to other forums he has been offered Greek, Spanish and Nigerian citizenship BUT he chose Greece so that resolves that.

I found some good scouting footage of him here

But it's not all good news. Eurobasket doesn't think much of him.

He just signed with a Spanish side that put really affordable buyout clauses at the end of each season so it looks like he is a perfect candidate to be drafted and stashed. Other than that the Celtics, Spurs, Suns, Nuggets, Raptors, and the Pacers have scouted this kid. If someone could explain the quality of team CAI Zargoza (his new team) is that would wrap up everyone's questions.

Comment

I just wanted to hear peoples opinions on a interesting prospect. Just chill out Basillis

Comment

Peja Stojakovic just gave an interview in Greek media on this issue (he lives in Greece since he was a kid)....

He was asked, "Are you Serbian or Greek?" His answer was, "I was born in Serbia, but I consider myself a Greek, and I am a Greek".
                              Last edited by Basilis; Sat Apr 13, 2013, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Peja Stojakovic just gave an interview in Greek media on this issue (he lives in Greece since he was a kid)....

He was asked, "Are you Serbian or Greek?" His answer was, "I was born in Serbia, but I consider myself a Greek, and I am a Greek".
                                Good to know.
                                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Working...
                                X