• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim?

Comment

• "Tim Chisholm, TSN.ca".

Comment

• I've been thinking about this DeRozan issue all year. Oddly enough, I'm kind of happy with where his development is.

It's clear he's going to take another year or two until he really has enough game to take advantage of what the defence gives instead of forcing up what he thinks he should take. In a lot of ways the Raptors have no one to blame but themselves for this. Typically players without jumpers develop that part of their game slowly, relying on the drive game to at least contribute something. In DeRozan's case the Raps pounded it in his head that improving the jump shot was all that mattered, that it was the only shot he was going to get, and that's all he's worked on. Granted, right now he can't hit a damn thing, but that will change, What's incredibly glaring is that he hasn't worked on his handle, on protecting the ball, on going up through contact, etc. The handle is on him, the rest is on the coaching staff in my opinion. More importantly, for the first time he's getting a taste of what it's like not having looks from given and effective offensive sets to provide a steady diet of makeable shots. If that doesn't make him work 100 times harder in the offseason to work on his flaws, nothing will.

Now looking at things longterm, DeRozan is up for an extension soon. BC is, for better or worse, a master at offering players extensions that have great potential value long-term. I can't believe I'm saying this but the Bargs extension has paned out that way, and we all thought the Amir extension was headed that way until this recent funk. Right now the Raps are in a win-win situation with DeRozan. If he turns it around and comes on strong then great, we know he's a piece for the future. If he doesn't, then BC has a chance to lock him up for cheap and wait for his skills to catch up. Maybe it only happens 3 years down the road, but if/when it does, that could very well be a great extra boost for a young team coming into it's own.

Comment

• Finally some positive input not coming from me, apollo, Matt or joey.

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
            I've been thinking about this DeRozan issue all year. Oddly enough, I'm kind of happy with where his development is.

It's clear he's going to take another year or two until he really has enough game to take advantage of what the defence gives instead of forcing up what he thinks he should take. In a lot of ways the Raptors have no one to blame but themselves for this. Typically players without jumpers develop that part of their game slowly, relying on the drive game to at least contribute something. In DeRozan's case the Raps pounded it in his head that improving the jump shot was all that mattered, that it was the only shot he was going to get, and that's all he's worked on. Granted, right now he can't hit a damn thing, but that will change, What's incredibly glaring is that he hasn't worked on his handle, on protecting the ball, on going up through contact, etc. The handle is on him, the rest is on the coaching staff in my opinion. More importantly, for the first time he's getting a taste of what it's like not having looks from given and effective offensive sets to provide a steady diet of makeable shots. If that doesn't make him work 100 times harder in the offseason to work on his flaws, nothing will.

Now looking at things longterm, DeRozan is up for an extension soon. BC is, for better or worse, a master at offering players extensions that have great potential value long-term. I can't believe I'm saying this but the Bargs extension has paned out that way, and we all thought the Amir extension was headed that way until this recent funk. Right now the Raps are in a win-win situation with DeRozan. If he turns it around and comes on strong then great, we know he's a piece for the future. If he doesn't, then BC has a chance to lock him up for cheap and wait for his skills to catch up. Maybe it only happens 3 years down the road, but if/when it does, that could very well be a great extra boost for a young team coming into it's own.
            Hopefully that loss will push him to play his hardest tomorrow.

Comment

• Comment

• Send him to the bench until he sorts his shit out I say. Get Barbosa to the starting line-up, pump up his stuff and then trade him to a contender. By the time this happens, DD would perhaps get out of this funk.

PS> There were a lot of comparisons made to Bosh and Bargs when they were starting out. I understand that. However, what those guys lacked, they made up in certain areas. DD isn't bringing ANYTHING to the table at all. I can tell that when he's not scoring, his defence (which is marginal at best) gets even worse! Put him back to the bench and make him earn it. Colangelo needs to pull that silver spoon out of his Compton ass.
                Last edited by Balls of Steel; Thu Feb 2, 2012, 09:32 PM.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  Send him to the bench until he sorts his shit out I say. Get Barbosa to the starting line-up, pump up his stuff and then trade him to a contender. By the time this happens, DD would perhaps get out of this funk.
                  There is a problem with that. Teams looking at Barbosa aren't looking at him as a starter, they're looking at him as a sixth man. His value is in coming off the bench and providing a lift or at least helping maintain the momentum. Him starting doesn't showcase what teams are looking for in him. His value is highest when he's having a great impact off the bench. If anything DeRozan is making him look better right now because of the struggles in the starting lineup. If you want to see the Raptors keep it closer in meaningless games in a lost season, sure, start Barbosa and play him 35-38 MPG...

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    There is a problem with that. Teams looking at Barbosa aren't looking at him as a starter, they're looking at him as a sixth man. His value is in coming off the bench and providing a lift or at least helping maintain the momentum. Him starting doesn't showcase what teams are looking for in him. His value is highest when he's having a great impact off the bench. If anything DeRozan is making him look better right now because of the struggles in the starting lineup. If you want to see the Raptors keep it closer in meaningless games in a lost season, sure, start Barbosa and play him 35-38 MPG...
                    Having Barbosa in the starting lineup isn't meant to showcase him as a starter, I agree. He is simply being showcased, period. More importantly, this is sticking to the accountability factor that Casey has been preaching since day one. Heck, if not Barbs, then Forbes. DD needs to get hungry again. Coming off the bench will be a different kind of motivation. Hopefully it would be one where it really lights a fire under him. Besides, the first half scoring woes of this team could use some scoring. Bottom line: the team, DD included isn't going to learn anything this season if they're always down by twenty at half time. Also, him relegated to the bench is the only thing they have yet to try this season. If DD is becoming a shutdown guy at the expense of his scoring, this thread wouldn't even exist in my opinion.

I saw a special on the Denver Nuggets today on NBA TV. They featured Afflalo and I find him interesting because his previous rep was his scoring. This year, he's on the line-up because his defence has gotten better albeit at the expense of his scoring. If DD is like Aaron where he is bringing at least one thing to the table then I think he should continue to start. If he struggles to find his way, he should sit down and give others a chance to shine. He needs to earn his spot. Heck, even Bargs was brought in slowly. This guy had the reins since day one. Look what is happening to him now.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Sending DeRozan to the bench also won't help with the one thing he needs most: experience. He needs to be out there figuring it out without set plays to bail him out. He didn't really have the typical rookie experience of a talented player on a bad team, where you get the long leash to make mistakes and figure it out as you go. This season is basically the first time he's been asked to just go out there and play without relying on a set role. The more time he gets out there struggling, the faster he'll turn it around and the more useful he'll be when the team has enough players around him to compete.

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                        Sending DeRozan to the bench also won't help with the one thing he needs most: experience. He needs to be out there figuring it out without set plays to bail him out. He didn't really have the typical rookie experience of a talented player on a bad team, where you get the long leash to make mistakes and figure it out as you go. This season is basically the first time he's been asked to just go out there and play without relying on a set role. The more time he gets out there struggling, the faster he'll turn it around and the more useful he'll be when the team has enough players around him to compete.
                        I believe, this is the chosen course with DD as far as the team is concerned. He is chasing his tail out there.

Comment

• Double D

i feel like people are over evaluating demar ...personnaly i am not suprise he is basically like vince but with less talent
                          now that he feel he can shoot well he only shoots not shy away from contact and sometimes instead of trying to dunk on people si trying fancy lay ups ...

i understand he is young but me i would listen to offer if they came i mean
                          we heard the rumors what do u do teams player like monta elis , rudy gay (because of their contracts) oj mayo
                          would u really say no(i understant it might be a package it safe to safe beside the 2012 bargs no bady is untouchable no mather how young u are or upside u have

by the way i m french so please for the spelling bare with me

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            Finally some positive input not coming from me, apollo, Matt or joey.
                            how bout me? can i be included? oh, please include me!pick me!pick me! pick mE! I promise i'll be a good boy, just let me water your plants!

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• DeRozan's dunk contest comments come to mind now, and make more sense. He wasn't just complaining about the use of props as being something that takes away from the purity of a dunk contest -- he didn't like props for the same reason he doesn't like contact in a real game -- he'll only go to the basket if there's nothing in his way.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

• I say we use are first pick on Brad Beal, to show DeMar that this isn't acceptable. That way he'll have to get better. He'll finally have competition at that guard position. If you think about DeMar is the only player on the team that didn't have to worry about his starting position. Even barny had a young Ed with potential right behind him waiting for him to falter under a defensive minded coach. DeMar was sitting pretty knowing that he was the present and future of that position. So we draft Beal let them battle it out in training camp
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X