Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Deadline: Lesson learned today? Don't trust Casey (462)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fanchie wrote: View Post
    I'm so in for that. If Oden finally get's healthy, we'll have two top Centers. Considering how rare they are in the league, 95% of the teams will be knocking at our door, offering great players. That's a big if, but what is the risk ? Calderon is not part of the future, Gray is expendable and one of Amir or ED has to leave.

And we already have tons of youngsters, so a 2013 pick is fine for me.
    We do realize that Oden is likely never going to play a full season in the NBA right?

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
      We do realize that Oden is likely never going to play a full season in the NBA right?
      Oden was only part of the equation to make salaries match. It'll be very interesting to see what the Blazers do with him.

Comment

There's also one other point I am going to raise cause it hasn't been yet (as far as I can see): do we really want Colangelo making big moves? From an organizational perspective, it might be better to just use the 2012 on the BPA, make some minor deals (e.g. Barbosa, Bayless, Amir) and go into 2013 with Val, Bargs, 2012 1st, Derozan, Calderon and bench filler. Let it play out. If it fails, hand the reins to a new GM who will have some assets to work with going forward. Obviously, I say this as someone who has absolutely no confidence in this front office but, so far, I am fairly unimpressed with this rebuild, the talent they have, and the drafts picks that have been made. I really don't feel comfortable having Colangelo hand out $ in free agency this summer and bringing in FAs or making significant trades.

Comment

One thing I'd be really cool with is moving Calderon in a way that clears even more cap space for us (to a team with ample cap/trade exceptions I guess) so we can REALLY have some fun in FA.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
            I agree.

We need good stater-quality players and it's highly doubtful either Morris or a late first round pick will amount to more than solid backups, if we are very lucky. Trading one of our starter-quality player for bench players is a losing recipe in my opinion.
            Again, my assumption is something gets done through free agency or trade (most likely trade) with the extra cap space. You can only take back a rookie contracts, expiring contracts, and draft picks to get that space.

Comment

If Jose is moved to a contender like Dallas, Boston, Miami, or something of that sort. I want prospect guards back. Roddy Beabois, Avery Bradley and a pick, or Norris Cole or something like that. Prospect guards or draft picks is what I'm looking at if we are thinking of moving Calderon. Which I hope they don't do until off-season really.

Barbosa is playing inconsistently right now, but it doesn't matter due to the fact he's a veteran that can easily put up 16-20 points easily and change the pace of a game. So another contender is in place for him, or a package along with one of our power forwards would do a trick. Maybe grad a third team to grab a return player, money, draft.

These are major changes, but like I said, if there are going to be major changes, it's going to be with guys who aren't within the core of the rebuilding process i.e Demar/Andrea/Amir or Ed/JJ/Bayless
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Do as all teams that have a difficult time attracting star free agents do and tread carefully. Stock pile draft picks like Minnesota and maintain cap flexibility like Indiana did and strike when the time is right. I suppose this would fall under the minor change option.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  Do as all teams that have a difficult time attracting star free agents do and tread carefully. Stock pile draft picks like Minnesota and maintain cap flexibility like Indiana did and strike when the time is right. I suppose this would fall under the minor change option.
                  Yeah I really like how they were able to pick up David West, and package a deal with George Hill.
                  I like this idea of doing that, especially with Val coming in, and our upcoming draft pick will most definitely be intriguing.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Again, my assumption is something gets done through free agency or trade (most likely trade) with the extra cap space. You can only take back a rookie contracts, expiring contracts, and draft picks to get that space.
                    I disagree with the approach.

Toronto is not a choice destination for free agents and frankly, I would rather Colangelo be not tempted to make another Turk-like signing because he has cap space to spare and with the clock ticking on his contract renewal.

The Raptors can always amnesty Calderon if Superman or Deron Williams want to sign with the Raptors. I like Jose but a superstar he is not.

Comment

Sign Wilson Chandler, Trade Barbosa, Davis, DeRozan and Bayless.

PG: Calderon
                      SG: Chandler
                      SF: Kleiza / James Johnson
                      PF: Bargnani / Amir Johnson
                      C: Valanciunas / Gray / Magloire (Mentor Role)

Trade Barbosa, Davis, DeRozan (If we can get Chandler ... if not keep him) and Bayless for draft picks, cap space, and bench.

We should get a top 5 pick this year and a decent cap space after this.

What you think????

Comment

YoungGuns wrote: View Post
                        PG: Calderon
                        SG: Chandler
                        SF: Kleiza / James Johnson
                        PF: Bargnani / Amir Johnson
                        C: Valanciunas / Gray / Magloire (Mentor Role)

Trade Barbosa, Davis, DeRozan (If we can get Chandler ... if not keep him) and Bayless for draft picks, cap space, and bench.

We should get a top 5 pick this year and a decent cap space after this.

What you think????
                        Kleiza is not a starting three, he isn't even a starting three over JJ, and B.C wouldn't trade Demar unless it was for someone like O.J Mayo or Rudy Gay.

That team is just as good as the one we have now, maybe 2 or 3 more wins. Keep Bayless and Derozan.

Trade away Calderon, Barbosa, and either one of the young PF's, whichever one has the higher trade value. Try and get a lottery pick 14-up because no one is going to give the top 14 pick out especially with the players we have to offer.

PG - Bayless/LotteryPick
                        SG - Demar/Forbes
                        SF - Glichrist or Barnes?/JJ/Kleiza
                        PF - Primo pasta and sauce/Amir or Ed?
                        C - Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire

If we can grab Chandler make him the sixth man off the bench behind MKG or Barnes/Derozan. Ship Kleiza for a shooter? Or a veteran point guard OTHER than Anthony Carter, maybe sign bibby in the off-season cause he's on a 1 year contract with NY.

Comment

Anybody like Marvin Williams? I read a report saying that he's looking to move to a team that would give him a bigger role.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                            Kleiza is not a starting three, he isn't even a starting three over JJ, and B.C wouldn't trade Demar unless it was for someone like O.J Mayo or Rudy Gay.

That team is just as good as the one we have now, maybe 2 or 3 more wins. Keep Bayless and Derozan.

Trade away Calderon, Barbosa, and either one of the young PF's, whichever one has the higher trade value. Try and get a lottery pick 14-up because no one is going to give the top 14 pick out especially with the players we have to offer.

PG - Bayless/LotteryPick
                            SG - Demar/Forbes
                            SF - Glichrist or Barnes?/JJ/Kleiza
                            PF - Primo pasta and sauce/Amir or Ed?
                            C - Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire

If we can grab Chandler make him the sixth man off the bench behind MKG or Barnes/Derozan. Ship Kleiza for a shooter? Or a veteran point guard OTHER than Anthony Carter, maybe sign bibby in the off-season cause he's on a 1 year contract with NY.
                            Any 2012-2013 Raptors team that features Bayless as the starting PG, is an epic fail before the season even tips off!

I agree with your thoughts on DeRozan, Barbosa and one of Davis/Amir.

I'm so torn on Calderon. For me, I'd only trade him in an exceptional deal, because I think he would be great running a starting lineup featuring Valanciunas, Bargnani, Barnes/MKG and DeRozan (or Gay/Mayo, if I could dream big). I also think he would be valuable as a mentor for a young pass-first PG (and no, Bayless will never be that player).

As for Chandler, I fear that some team will overpay for him so much, that he will be paid way too much to be a sixth man. Especially at a position where the Raptors would have Barnes/MKG, JJ and Kleiza.

And for the record, the proper spelling of the starting PF in your proposed lineup is "Bargnani". Show a little respect.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              Any 2012-2013 Raptors team that features Bayless as the starting PG, is an epic fail before the season even tips off!

I agree with your thoughts on DeRozan, Barbosa and one of Davis/Amir.

I'm so torn on Calderon. For me, I'd only trade him in an exceptional deal, because I think he would be great running a starting lineup featuring Valanciunas, Bargnani, Barnes/MKG and DeRozan (or Gay/Mayo, if I could dream big). I also think he would be valuable as a mentor for a young pass-first PG (and no, Bayless will never be that player).

As for Chandler, I fear that some team will overpay for him so much, that he will be paid way too much to be a sixth man. Especially at a position where the Raptors would have Barnes/MKG, JJ and Kleiza.

And for the record, the proper spelling of the starting PF in your proposed lineup is "Bargnani". Show a little respect.
                              Primo pasta and sauce is what propels Bargnani to be so damn good.

Bayless has shown his potential to run the team very well. I.e last season vs the Knicks when he has like 20 points and 8 assists or something like that, when Jose was injured last season, he stepped up and did what he was told to do. And since this team is looking at young guys, from the ground up, Bayless may not BE the Ideal guy, but with his potential, he can be He just hasn't had the opportunity to "Jeremy Lin."

I agree with your Chandler point, with Casey coaching and BC there, Chandler isn't starting over Demar or MKG/Barnes.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                                I disagree with the approach.

Toronto is not a choice destination for free agents and frankly, I would rather Colangelo be not tempted to make another Turk-like signing because he has cap space to spare and with the clock ticking on his contract renewal.

The Raptors can always amnesty Calderon if Superman or Deron Williams want to sign with the Raptors. I like Jose but a superstar he is not.
                                How many times does one have to remind people you can do more with cap space than sign free agents?

In this post I even say: '...something gets done through free agency or trade (most likely trade) with the extra cap space.'

I don't mean to snap but cap space is not strictly for free agency. And I 100% agree Toronto is not a choice destination for free agents which is why, I feel, a trade is the route to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X