Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Dampier Signs With The Raptors Should He Start or Come Off Of The Bench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Dampier Signs With The Raptors Should He Start or Come Off Of The Bench?

Raptors180 - If Dampier Signs With The Raptors Should He Start or Come Off Of The Bench?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

If Dampier signs with the Raptors, it's because he will be starting. Whether it is good for the team is a great question; however, the Raptors only pitch to him would involve him starting. As I have argued before, Johnson will most likely get more minutes, but Dampier would start. Johnson is still young and, although his contract may not please Rap fans as a guy starting on the bench, over the course of his contract he will get his chance (as long as he continues to develop) and it will be a good signing.

Comment

He should start. Play the first 5 minutes of the 1st and 3rd and that's it. In my brain anyway. It's not who starts, it's who finishes.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

09/10 GP55 GS47 MIN23.3 FG62.4% 3PT33.3% FT60.4% OREB2.3 TREB7.3 AST0.6 STL0.3 BLK1.4 TO1.1 F2.8 PTS6.0

I'd start him at the beginning of each quarter.

I see Johnson as an energy guy and first big off the bench. That is not a slight to him. Look no further than Lamar Odom coming off the bench to the importance of having starting-calibre talent coming off the bench or for depth in case of injury.

Longer term I can't see Johnson and Bargs being the starting 4 and 5 on a championship contending team.

I can see Bargs with a player who excels at rebounding, help defense, and weak side shot blocking (mature Ed Davis? Al Horford?).

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
          He should start. Play the first 5 minutes of the 1st and 3rd and that's it. In my brain anyway. It's not who starts, it's who finishes.
          Agreed, although he should get more than 10 minutes a game. I'm thinking 15-20 minutes.

Comment

Here are some thoughts I shared on this topic in a different thread.

So here's the solution to keeping Amir as a starter AND starting Damp at centre: play Bargs at the 3.

Whoa, whoa, settle down, people! Before you prepare to lynch me, think about it: the last time they gave minutes to him at the 3 (some three or four years ago), it was, I admit, an abysmal failure. But his footwork has improved dramatically since then, and he no longer bites on pump fakes, instead keeping his feet on the ground and using his long wingspan to either block shots or keep a hand in the shooter's face. While not possessed of excellent foot speed, he is way better at keeping his man in front of him. Against a three, he would play a few feet off the guy and still, thanks to that wingspan, be able to hinder his shot. And if the opposing 3 tries to drive against him, Bargs will block his shot. And if he blows by Bargs, he has two very capable defensive bigs behind him to clean up the mess, plus Bargs won't be counted on to provide interior help defence. PLUS his extremely pedestrian rebounding numbers will look downright scintillating playing as a 3. PLUS he'll create all sorts of matchup problems at the other end. So the starting unit would be Damp, AJ, Bargs, Derozan and probably Calderon. And our second unit would be pretty damn good: Anderson or Alabi and Bargs would share minutes at the 5; Davis/AJ at the 4, Kleiza the 3, Weems the 2 and Jack the pg. I fully expect one of Jack and Calderon to be gone soon, so substitute Barbosa as the backup pg (and heaven help us). Thoughts?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              09/10 GP55 GS47 MIN23.3 FG62.4% 3PT33.3% FT60.4% OREB2.3 TREB7.3 AST0.6 STL0.3 BLK1.4 TO1.1 F2.8 PTS6.0

I'd start him at the beginning of each quarter.

I see Johnson as an energy guy and first big off the bench. That is not a slight to him. Look no further than Lamar Odom coming off the bench to the importance of having starting-calibre talent coming off the bench or for depth in case of injury.

Longer term I can't see Johnson and Bargs being the starting 4 and 5 on a championship contending team.

I can see Bargs with a player who excels at rebounding, help defense, and weak side shot blocking (mature Ed Davis? Al Horford?).
              It's rare you'll see a player start each quarter. You normally want a player to stay warm and not get taken off the court all the time and get cold.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

My theory is that one of Toronto's selling points is that he'll start if he signs.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                  It's rare you'll see a player start each quarter. You normally want a player to stay warm and not get taken off the court all the time and get cold.
                  Which is why they have warm up suits, towels around the neck, and bikes on the sidelines if necessary.

He is a big, slow 35 year old who is being asked to bang, rebound, and take up space. He only played 23 minutes a game last year. I don't see him doing much more here. I also don't see him playing 10-12 minute stretches either.

Comment

Jason Kidd: Tyson Chandler has his hops

By Jeff Caplan

UNIVERSITY PARK, Texas – Jason Kidd will never say it, but it must have been infuriating to loft a beauty of a lob pass only to have Erick Dampier either fumble it out of bounds or fail to put it in the hole.

+1

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...r-has-his-hops
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      He only played 23 minutes a game last year. I don't see him doing much more here. I also don't see him playing 10-12 minute stretches either.
                      Right now the Raptors are undersized at center. I think if he signs here, some nights he'll get a lot of minutes and other night he won't see much at all. It'll all depend on the match up.

Comment

Working...
                      X