No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: James Johnson sent to Kings for 2nd Rounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like this trade at all. He was statistically our best defender and arguably our best defender overall. Im not expecting Allstar talent for a player like JJ but we should have tried to get something for him. Like Matt said earlier I'm tired of all this wasted cap space and flexibility. One thing BC has failed to do in the entire time he's been here is show what he can do with the cap space he works so hard to get. If this is part of something better I'm alright with it, but if the return is Dahntay Jones for Calderon, Ross better be the mother fucking MVP or BC should be shipped out. I feel like he could've atleast managed to get a backup PG to fill Jose's shoes for JJ. If not throw in one of our second rounders to get one. IMO this was a horrible trade no matter how you look at it unless BC gets Iggy or someone of his calibre.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
      i liked JJ at times... just like i did with Jamario Moon

he does come pretty close to Jamario's PGC stats though... (Per Game Cringes)

all he needs to do is release a dirty hick rap video, and he'll make a full transition into Jamarionism

i wondered what happened to J.Moon LOL i figured he was back in the D-league or playing in Europe

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
        i wouldnt call it settling at all.. those 4 picks will end up being very good trade chips or at the very least they get 4 cracks at finding a diamond in the rough.. thats not bad... & def. doesnt suggest that Fields is crap.

think about it.. with those picks the lakers could have had D.Howard already..
        If they could've had Dwight Howard they would have Dwight Howard

It's Howard for Bynum and junk, those 4 picks are the junk that LA would have to include

Comment

" I don't like this trade at all. He was statistically our best defender and arguably our best defender overall. Im not expecting Allstar talent for a player like JJ but we should have tried to get something for him."

Dude, Stop crying like a little girl. JJ has attitude issues and you can't statistically measure that now can you.
          He was a cancer in the locker...SEE IVERSON. With all the potenial he had JJ did nothing in CHICAGO but cry and did the same here in TORONTO...CANCER CANCER...see IVERSON. Soo much Potenial...IVERSON was better then NASH...but look what attitude does....Both are of same age... ANways...JJ is gone and thank you for that.

best defender my ###

We're lucky to have gotten a 2nd rounder for him...and saved
          $2M+. You know what i hate...i hate folks that have all the potenial yet the attitude brings them down...cause they think they are the best....yet act like garbage.

GOOD MOVE.
          Lets move on ....so far the offseason has been great

no complains
          It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
            Really bad trade, I honestly think that there's a 5% chance we get a player of the same value as JJ in the second round.. our best wing defender, who's by no means a good/great/untradeable player, for a second round pick? Hmm... More minutes for Fields, DeRozan and Ross.
            You don't have any idea what sort of trade could be in the works. If Colangelo could only get a 2nd rounder for JJ among the teams that could consume his entire salary but doing that trade helps facilitate a big trade that the Raptors win then the JJ trade is excellent in that light. We don't have the context to call this a bad trade. Not yet anyway.

Comment

A few points...

1.) No idea why Sacramento wants to add ANOTHER knucklehead to their locker room.

2.) Guys need to stop jumping the gun on the BC bashing. Trades don't occur in a vacuum.
              Think of it more like dominoes.

3.) Jerryd Bayless and James Johnson are two guys that wanted to be stars. Dwayne Casey if I remember
              correctly even said Jerryd would thrive if he would accept his role as a 6th man. James Johnson inflated
              stats are a result of forcing his game and gambling on both offense and defense. Anytime I start to get annoyed
              about James Johnson for a second round I remember the Danny Granger corner 3 that iced us, because James Johnson was half way across the court gambling on a block
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                This one hurts my soul. Deeply.

I've never questioned BCs motives ... until today. He better pull out something BIG to follow this up.
                4 straight years in the lottery and you throw in the towel after the James Johnson trade?

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                  should be interesting who will cause the most problems in the sac. locker room JJ or Cousins LOL
                  Considering JJ will be the only one on the team playing defense it will be interesting.

I say Cousins is the worst, and JJ knocks his ass out.

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  So trading the 16th overall pick for JJ didn't work out?! big shock!! and his value drop to a point where other teams are hosing down Raptors players for pennies as per usual.

BC you F*cked up again.
                  And where do you get 16th? BC traded the 28th pick for JJ.

Letter N wrote: View Post
                  Drafted 16th overall
                  Traded for 28th overall
                  Traded for high 2nd round pick

Law of diminishing potential...
                  Exactly what I was going to post.

Not surprised at all at the trade, thought he might be a piece in a trade if not exactly this. I am not holding my breath that this is a prelude to anything. Sure BC said that this opens up salary flexibility, (wow a couple of Mil) and I for one am a supporter of BC, but this was getting rid of JJ bottom line. I would be surprised if this turned into anything of a salary opening for a future great move. The, "oooh something is just around the corner" is getting old. Great if it happens, I just don't see it. If it helps turn into Rudy Gay or AIguadala, which of course returns us straight into the playing time problem trading JJ is supposed to alleviate, then sure, but it's too little for a Brandon Rush signing, so I don't see where this has gained the team for salary moves.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                    If they could've had Dwight Howard they would have Dwight Howard

It's Howard for Bynum and junk, those 4 picks are the junk that LA would have to include
                    actually it would have been more like Howard+junk(Turk)= Bynum+Junk(MWP)+Picks..

my point was those 4 picks is what Orlando really wanted.. from whats been put out there Bynum would have been shipped to Houston prob. along with MWP for more picks & filler..

Comment

JJ had dropped to 5th on the Raptors wing depth chart, yet he believes he's good enough to be a full-time starter in the league (alleged cause of last year's spat with DC). He's also on an expiring contract, so he'd likely be looking for a raise next season. It would be very unlikely the the Raps would re-sign him, so turning him into something useful (2nd round pick AND $2.8M cap space) instead of letting him walk for nothing, is a great return.

If the cap space helps faciliate a bigger deal, then this trade winds up being even better than it already is.

I am actually wondering if this is step 1 in a 3 step process:
                      1. Trade JJ to gain a 2nd round pick and cap space
                      2. Trade Calderon to Dallas (per the 3-team trade Matt mentioned, netting Toronto D.Jones or possibly V.Carter - to waive)
                      3. Trade Davis & rights to Zubcic & 2 2nd round picks to Philly for Iguodala

Toronto would then need to add a backup PG, but would have a very good, deep lineup
                      C: Valanciunas, Gray
                      PF: Bargnani, Amir, Acy
                      SF: Iguodala, Kleiza
                      SG: DeRozan, Fields, Ross
                      PG: Lowry, ???, Uzoh

Comment

Good Trade

From business to on court product to team chemistry...This is a decent move.
                        I dont know what was the market value and offers recieved by BC. But if this was it...it aint bad.

This dude has tendency to go rogue during games...As a coach you cant trust a player like that.
                        Look at IVERSON.

JJ takes risks on the court that are uninsurable. He aint good enought to take those risks.
                        If Kobe or Lebron take those on-court risk its okay...We know they can finish...but JJ not soo much.
                        Very poor BBALL IQ. To get fans to cheer him he'd set up for a block only to see the ball get kicked out to the three point line where he shouldve been defending. he will make the highlight reel...but also give back via mistakes.

The fans may like him...but not the coaching staff.

All the best to him...he can be a great player if he becomes coachable...otherwise see IVERSON who was far superior to JJ and I would say NASH ....but he was his own worst enemy.
                        It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

Johnson move all about locker room culture not talent. Didn't mesh with Casey Has talent but doesn't know how to use it properly yet as well
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            I am actually wondering if this is step 1 in a 3 step process:
                            1. Trade JJ to gain a 2nd round pick and cap space
                            2. Trade Calderon to Dallas (per the 3-team trade Matt mentioned, netting Toronto D.Jones or possibly V.Carter - to waive)
                            3. Trade Davis & rights to Zubcic & 2 2nd round picks to Philly for Iguodala
                            I'm not a cap guy but I'm 98% percent certain your deal is about 10million off from being allowed

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                              I dont think he was that bad, he's 45%FGM. The guy avgs almost 2blks per game and at least 1 stl in 25mins. Compared to Calderon who is your starting PG avg .9stls per game and Johnson/Gray your Cs at .3/1.1 blocks per game. If JJ played 36mins, he wouldve produced 13pts/6rebs/4asts/1stl/2blks per game, not bad for $2.8mil.
                              That's just it, when we compare Johnson to other Raptor players (who aren't exactly standouts themselves), he comes across as as serviceable player.

But instead, we should be comparing Johnson to starters on good teams.

We wouldn't be able to get much for Amir/Gray either, and I'd be very surprised if even Calderon nets us anything worthwhile.

This seems to a rude awakening for us Raptor fans. We over-achieved quite a bit last season, but the individual parts have very little value.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                I'm not a cap guy but I'm 98% percent certain your deal is about 10million off from being allowed
                                Prior to the JJ trade, the Raps were pretty much right on the salary cap line (excluding any remaining cap-holds and remembering that Gray hasn't yet been officially re-signed, to my knowledge).

1. JJ out --> frees up $2.8M cap space
                                2. Calderon out --> frees up $10.6M cap space ($13.4M total cap space)
                                3a. Davis out ---> frees up $2.2M cap space ($15.6M total cap space)
                                3b. Iguodala in --> eats up $14.7M cap space ($0.9M total cap space)

This would be dependent on the Calderon trade bringing back no more than $0.9M net salary. Carter's contract in non-guaranteed ($2M buyout), so if Toronto got Carter and waived him, they'd have enough cap space to simply trade Davis a 2x 2nd round picks to Philly for Iguodala.

Comment

Working...
                                X