Life after Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thead wrote: View Post
    2.) If we are willing to pay Bargnani 5 years 50 million.... 5 years 55-60 million for Lowry won't break the bank or our flexibility.
    Reminder that it was BC that signed AB to that stupid contract in the first place. And now that MU is at the helm, he will be much more reasonable and let him go if he asks for money in that range. Plus lowry deserves the 50 mil. Bargs was just lucky to have a guy give him money for unlimited primo pasta.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      Too late for that.
      This year - yes.

Next year - no.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        couple points...

1.) Lakers would want to do the sign and trade to get out from under the final year of Nash. Which would allow them to spend the cap money on any number of other players.

2.) If we are willing to pay Bargnani 5 years 50 million.... 5 years 55-60 million for Lowry won't break the bank or our flexibility.
        When you consider DeRozan's deal, cap holds for free agents, first round pick guaranteed money, and extensions in combination with a possible $10M extension for Lowry, I disagree, I think Toronto's flexibility is pretty much shot with the exception of the summer of 2015.

Comment

Not to ruin the discussion or anything but he won't leave. No I don't have proof of that but there have been signs that point me strongly to believe he is going to be our PG for years to come. Lowry & Co have proved to Masai that they can be winners. Masai will want to keep Lowry around at all costs. Speaking of costs, Leiweke just threw down $100 million on two soccer players. What makes you think that he isn't going to spend another 10 million to keep Lowry around? Leiweke has said that we will go into the Luxury tax if we have to do so.

This isn't the same management who let Bosh walk or gave Bargnani a contract he didn't deserve. This is the management who shipped out the crap contracts and improved the team. This isn't the team who was stuggling to squeeze into the playoff picture or get 30 wins. This is the team that is playing plus .500 ball and who has the reins to the team in his hands? Kyle Lowry. What makes you think he is ready to just quit on a team with a future of contending for a championship?

So show a little optimism for once in the guy. Believe in what the team, the coaching staff, and Masai, are building towards.

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
            The NBA salary landscape has changed, and continues to, since the new CBA, as has Gordon's value, so I don't think you can use him as an example of value on the market. Steph Curry,,,,,, so much more valuable than him, more recently signed for an avg. of $11M. That would likely be a better benchmark in the world we live in now.
            Steph Curry only got $11m a year because the year before he signed that extension he only played 26 games and there was serious concern that his ankles were debilitated.

Comment

I don't believe Lowry is the long term solution at PG for the Raptors and if they pay him this off-season they will get burned. I appreciate how he's playing right now and props to him but I hope he gets paid elsewhere.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                I don't believe Lowry is the long term solution at PG for the Raptors and if they pay him this off-season they will get burned. I appreciate how he's playing right now and props to him but I hope he gets paid elsewhere.
                And what would be the solution for the PG spot? If you have one of the better PG's in the league right now and the draft is thin of quality PG's who can contribute right away, then what is the plan?

Comment

I'm really interested in Tyler Ennis. Everyone is saying that he is the player that the raps should go for in the draft but our pick might be a bit too high to land him. I would love to have some Canadian talent on our team. But what do you guys think would happen if somehow we did manage to draft him and kept lowry? We would most likely have to part with vasquez am i right?

Comment

One thing that's probably for sure is that there is not a single scenario involving Lowry leaving that will make this team better now. Which without a real plans set regarding the future of the point guard position on this team makes letting him leave such a god damn risky thing to do.
                    I trust Masai to make the right move though.
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                      Steph Curry only got $11m a year because the year before he signed that extension he only played 26 games and there was serious concern that his ankles were debilitated.
                      Lowry hasn't been injury free throughout his time in Toronto either. Plus he's a bit older. I think Salmon is right.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        I'm a huge lowry fan, but this should be our position as a team. Because we are stuck with Derozan's contract, we really can't take the risk of paying Lowry 10+ million and then hoping that they both play like this every year. Our starting backcourt for the next 3 years would be 2 slightly above average players taking up $20 million + for 3 to 4 years.

There is no reason to think, based on Lowry's whole career, that he will stay healthy or sustain this play after he gets a contract. We have to remember that, except for this year, he has not really improved our team anymore than Calderon did during the previous years.

That being said, we should go into the negotiation basically telling lowry that we want to pay him 5-7 million, or any other number where it would be a steal. If he doesn't sign, no problem. If he does, great.

I would rather have lowry leave for nothing than pay him 10+ million a year

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                          I'm a huge lowry fan, but this should be our position as a team. Because we are stuck with Derozan's contract, we really can't take the risk of paying Lowry 10+ million and then hoping that they both play like this every year. Our starting backcourt for the next 3 years would be 2 slightly above average players taking up $20 million + for 3 to 4 years.

There is no reason to think, based on Lowry's whole career, that he will stay healthy or sustain this play after he gets a contract. We have to remember that, except for this year, he has not really improved our team anymore than Calderon did during the previous years.

That being said, we should go into the negotiation basically telling lowry that we want to pay him 5-7 million, or any other number where it would be a steal. If he doesn't sign, no problem. If he does, great.

I would rather have lowry leave for nothing than pay him 10+ million a year
                          As another option to consider, would you pay Lowry $10M per season and trade DeRozan?

I agree that paying those two players $20M (1/3 total cap space) limits the team's potential and financial flexibility. If no better PG options are available, I'd strongly consider rolling out a Lowry/Ross backcourt, while looking to upgrade the SF spot. DeRozan is a valuable trade chip, while the team would essentially transfer the ~$10M cap space from DeRozan to Lowry. Just a thought for consideration...

Comment

JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
                            Not to ruin the discussion or anything but he won't leave. No I don't have proof of that but there have been signs that point me strongly to believe he is going to be our PG for years to come. Lowry & Co have proved to Masai that they can be winners. Masai will want to keep Lowry around at all costs. Speaking of costs, Leiweke just threw down $100 million on two soccer players. What makes you think that he isn't going to spend another 10 million to keep Lowry around? Leiweke has said that we will go into the Luxury tax if we have to do so.
                            IMO money isn't really the biggest problem here. With his injury/personality/everything else history, front office has to try and gauge whether he'll keep this kind of play up once he gets a fat contract. That's a huge decision.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              As another option to consider, would you pay Lowry $10M per season and trade DeRozan?

I agree that paying those two players $20M (1/3 total cap space) limits the team's potential and financial flexibility. If no better PG options are available, I'd strongly consider rolling out a Lowry/Ross backcourt, while looking to upgrade the SF spot. DeRozan is a valuable trade chip, while the team would essentially transfer the ~$10M cap space from DeRozan to Lowry. Just a thought for consideration...
                              I agree on the DD trade possibility. But BallaBalla's proposed 5-7 Mil is cray cray. He's earning 6 and change at the moment. So he takes a paycut? As for the concerns of future health and shape of Lowry, I pulled this nifty nugget on Mr. Larry Sanders via Wikipedia:

On August 20, 2013, Sanders signed a four-year, $44 million contract extension with the Bucks. In December, Sanders was sidelined for 25 games after sustaining a torn ligament in his thumb in a night club altercation. Sanders was fined for the two municipal citations of disorderly conduct and assault and battery charges, but police did not pursue further criminal charges.

How's Sanders' season so far?

$44 million doesn't buy any team in any sport future guarantees.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

If we keep Lowry I'd pray for him to take somewhere around $8M per season, but I'm a realist. I don't see how he gets less than 10 per (here or elsewhere) if he stays healthy and plays like this for the rest of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X