Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Harden trade make Gay more getable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granger in my view is not a good choice....injury/knee issues. I hear he is out of the opener.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
      The previous Memphis owner, Michael Heisley, has a net worth of approximately 1.4 billion. I am not sure that the new ownership can match that in resources.
      The previous owner made it clear that he was not in the business of paying luxury tax. The new owners have not made that declaration.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Memphis has new ownership led by Pera but with backers like Justin Timberlake and Peyton Manning. Not sure money will be a reason anymore but we'll soon find out.
        Money will be a reason for every team starting next season when the new luxury tax penalties kick in. Memphis is right at the luxury tax level. If they want to make any changes to their roster they need to free up cap space. The two obvious players to free up space are Randolph and Gay.

Gay may be gettable because nobody wants Randolph on his huge contract, and Memphis will need to shed salary somehow. Keep in mind, Gay will make $19.3M in 2014-15, which will probably make him one of the highest paid players in the league.

I'm not sure the Raptors have the best package though. We could offer either Derozan/Ross with Davis and Calderon. If they got Ross, Davis, and Calderon, it would save Memphis $12M next season. With Derozan, Davis, Calderon, it'd probably be closer to $6M in savings after they re-sign DeRozan.

Maybe if DeRozan made a big enough leap this season Memphis would rather have him at half the price of Gay. Still seems like other teams with draft picks could put together a more attractive package for a team looking to shed salary.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
          Money will be a reason for every team starting next season when the new luxury tax penalties kick in. Memphis is right at the luxury tax level. If they want to make any changes to their roster they need to free up cap space. The two obvious players to free up space are Randolph and Gay.

Gay may be gettable because nobody wants Randolph on his huge contract, and Memphis will need to shed salary somehow. Keep in mind, Gay will make $19.3M in 2014-15, which will probably make him one of the highest paid players in the league.

I'm not sure the Raptors have the best package though. We could offer either Derozan/Ross with Davis and Calderon. If they got Ross, Davis, and Calderon, it would save Memphis $12M next season. With Derozan, Davis, Calderon, it'd probably be closer to $6M in savings after they re-sign DeRozan.

Maybe if DeRozan made a big enough leap this season Memphis would rather have him at half the price of Gay. Still seems like other teams with draft picks could put together a more attractive package for a team looking to shed salary.
          I'm well aware of Memphis' cap situation and I understand the reasons why he might be traded.

However, old ownership was dead set against going in to the luxury. Who is to say the new ownership takes the same stance? I've not yet read or heard anything to suggest that the views of Heisley are the views of the new ownership group.

If Heisley was still the owner, I'd say Gay was as good as gone sometime this year but Heisley is no the owner. Anything and everything about Gay being traded is pure, unfounded speculation. The situation in Memphis has changed.

Comment

Lets say we made a trade for Gay with Bargnani and someone else (like a Calderon for example), would you guys be okay with Amir/ED as our 4's?

I would be perfectly fine with Amir/ED/Acy as our 4's. It would be our weakest spot but the thought of a Lowry, Derozan, Gay, JV combo is tempting to say the least.

Comment

Why would we trade Bargs for Gay, it doesn't make any sense.

Calderon + Davis + (one of DeRozan and Ross) should be good, personally i think dealing with DeRozan shall suffice, we get Rudy Gay + Darrel Arthur.

Comment

Would Bargnani be a good fit in the Grizzlies front line with Gasol and Randolph? They're deep at point guard also.

Comment

i think we should go after Wheeelsoonn Chandlarrrr! he would fit very nicely in our starting lineup. But idk if we wanna be paying landry 6.3 mill a year to sit on the bench.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                    Would Bargnani be a good fit in the Grizzlies front line with Gasol and Randolph? They're deep at point guard also.
                    Yeah I am not saying it is a valid suggestion, I am just speaking hypothetically.

Im interested in how valuable people see bargs, and whether or not he is worth trading if we dont get a decent PF back.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                      Why would we trade Bargs for Gay, it doesn't make any sense.

Calderon + Davis + (one of DeRozan and Ross) should be good, personally i think dealing with DeRozan shall suffice, we get Rudy Gay + Darrel Arthur.
                      Darrel Arthur doesn't address the log jam at the 4 position. Overall needs will be to re-tool the point guard depth if Jose is traded, not to mention a centre behind Gray and Valanciunas could create some type of pure depth a every position.

PG - Lowry/Lucas/3rd Guard
                      SG - Fields/Ross/Anderson
                      SF - Gay/Kleiza/Mcguire
                      PF - Bargnani/Johnson/Acy
                      C - Valanciunas/Gray/3rd Centre

EDIT: It's a choice of the asset BETWEEN the 3rd guard, or the 3rd centre. Unless, the cap matches to allow another asset. Although, would prefer to have Gay + one asset for roster flexibility.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                        Lets say we made a trade for Gay with Bargnani and someone else (like a Calderon for example), would you guys be okay with Amir/ED as our 4's?

I would be perfectly fine with Amir/ED/Acy as our 4's. It would be our weakest spot but the thought of a Lowry, Derozan, Gay, JV combo is tempting to say the least.
                        IMO, Amir would be a temporary answer at PF. We'd still need somewhat of a front court offensive presence just to keep guys like Boozer, West, KG, Gasol, Randolph, Stoudamire, etc. from having easy nights defensively. We need to make opposing front courts work hard.

Comment

Pera, a 34-year-old technology entrepreneur, closed this week on a $377 million deal to buy the Griz. That much is known. Pera's vision for the team and his commitment to winning remains a mystery.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...h/?partner=RSS
                          I still would love the Raps to land Gay. Just don't see it happening - especially with a team like Cleveland who has expressed interest in the past loaded with cap space, expiring contracts, and draft picks.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            If Gay is "ungettable", I still like the idea of Wilson Chandler.

Maybe even Danny Granger, or Derrick Williams.
                            Whoaaaaaa just looking at some old posts, can't believe people here really wanted gay and then hated on him so much later saying bc made a bonehead move.

And derricks Williams went from being a 2nd overall pick to a bench player for the kings damn his career really fell
                            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Oh my god.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                                Oh my god.
                                Rightttttttt
                                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X