Game-Time: Raptors vs. Heat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    if he starts hitting 60% of his threes. i think that the other teams 4 has to respect his shot. one less guy to clog the lane on demar/lowry/gay.

aa is performing well in his role. why take it away from him to allow bargs to do what he wants?
    Do you even watch the games?

Comment

• If Bargs can be like Novak, then sure, I'd be pretty happy with that. Hit a few big shots a game, come off the bench.

That being said, AA needs to take a back seat. JL3 needs to take a back seat. If your shots aren't falling, stop shooting. You don't shoot yourself out of a slump, if you're AA/JL3.

Also, the Raps, played well first half. But the Heat, dominated with their defence and everything in the second half. Raps threw the game away, but the Heat also took it from them when they saw an opening.

Raps played well. I really like what Gay's doing alongside DeRozan.

Amir was nowhere to be found, but hey, we all know he's inconsistent like that sometimes. I think we need to slowly easy JV back into it, but lets not forget, these are defending champs, they're the Heat. We hung them for a while, I Don't think we need to be screaming and panicing? What did people expect?

With a Gasol-like, or Gasol in this game, I think we would've pulled through. But hey, we'll just have to wiat and see what happens at the trade deadline!

Comment

• As Rudy gets more comfortable and as they get more comfortable with him as a player…man. Rudy is a very good player. He's a guy who can get his shot off at any point. He does a good job of mixing it up inside outside and they're getting even more athletic.

This team right here is one of those teams that's going to continue to get better, especially if they get their confidence going in the second half of the season. It'll be tough for the next time we play them. We'll have to come with our hard hats again.
        A vote of confidence from D Wade.

Comment

• Did anyone notice how many free throws Demar got today? Is this the Rudy Gay effect taking place?

Stern (makes a call to the referees): I see dollar signs with the Raptors now. You know what to do.
          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Today's game was really telling, this team needs an overall talent upgrade.

We have our options filled. We have our guy in Rudy Gay, we have our secondary scorer in Derozan. Although, when your team struggles down the stretch of a game, and all of your players are struggling not named Derozan, Gay, it means this team needs another upgrade.

Usually, we've had inconsistent scoring leaders. Days it would be Bargnani, Lowry, Derozan, Anderson, Amir, Ed, Jose, etc. Now, Gay is going to be the guy, with Derozan the likely second to follow.

Lowry is still an if, but he's done a nice job putting in a balance, but I'd rather see a little bit more control with his aggressiveness. We need a CONSISTENT bench threat - likely to be Bargnani when back from injury - a TRUE low post scorer, and a back-up point guard that slows the tempo down, and looks to create for others. Two scoring minded point guards isn't always an answer for success. Look at Detroit, that's why they wanted Jose so badly.

This team played really hard, but when your best guys start going cold, you need guys to step up, not guys to chuck up; - Lucas, Anderon, Ross - and rotations in terms of lineups need to be consistent (Yes Coach Casey, I am speaking to YOU).

I'm pretty sure we all sound like broken records, but we really need a guy like Gasol (a guy LIKE Gasol, not him exactly, tempo will hurt his production), maybe Milsap, Jefferson, West. Than a back-up point guard like Udrih (expiring contract), or Ridnour.

I mentioned in another thread, if worst comes to worst, I would definitely take a Williams + Ridnour for Bargnani + Anderson type deal and run. Williams would really fit in this system. Tweener who can play inside and out, athletic, underrated defensively, 6'10 (which is almost typical range for a power forward), and contains a lot of potential. Ridnour brings the pass-first type play, and veteran experience/leadership this team will need now that Jose is gone.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
              Did anyone notice how many free throws Demar got today? Is this the Rudy Gay effect taking place?

Stern (makes a call to the referees): I see dollar signs with the Raptors now. You know what to do.
              Demar got calls he would never get calls for. He drove on 'Birdman' once, and barely got bumped - Derozan over-exaggerated - and he got a call.

Rudy and Demar really help one another out.

Comment

• DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                peoples opinions of this team changes faster then delonte wests moods... is raptor nation bi-polar? seasons are full of ups & downs for every team...some people just need to chill with the knee jerk reactions to games...

it was a tough loss, raps came out flat in the second half & good teams see that & go for the kill.. we need better movement on offence.. obviously we need better production from Lowry/JL3, & Anderson needs to take a back seat for a bit, & we need a legit post threat.. we seen today how a defence can sufficate the passing/driving lanes when theres no offence comming from the post.

i think they fought back nicely in the first half considering the slow start..but like DC said this is a process & i dont think thats changed since rudy got here...if anything the process has kinda been reset a bit since we need to adapt the game plans & sets a bit with rudy here

bottom line is this team is better now then it was tuesday.. we just need to ajust our rotations & set plays a bit & ratchet up the energy level closer to the way it was against the Clippers
                +1

I watched the game but had people over and was away from the computer.. came back and read all posts on this thread and this is the only one I felt like responding to..

again, +1

Comment

• Once everyone is healthy:

Lowry/Lucas
                  Derozan/Ross
                  Gay/Fields/Anderson/Kleiza/Pietrus
                  Johnson/Bargnani/Acy
                  Valanciunas/Gray

I'm expecting something of this in the next couple of weeks:

Lowry/Vet-PG/Lucas
                  Derozan/Ross
                  Gay/Fields/Pietrus
                  Johnson/Prospect-PF/Acy
                  Valanciunas/Gray

Comment

• Three things. Heat knew they could sag off Gray (though he managed to score a bit) and they were able to close off the passing lanes. Their team defence was really quite good yesterday. They were able to double Demar, Gay and Lowry every time either one of them had the ball, and have the help defender still get back in time to defend their own man. This stifling defence clearly exhausted Gay who had no legs left in the fourth. I think the Heat came into this game a little embarrassed that the Raps took them to overtime last time they played.

Early fouls on Amir took the teams only really good big out of the game and allowed Bosh to operate effectively. No way Bosh gets 19 or 20 with Amir or an injury recovered Val covering him.

The Raps haven't had time to integrate Gay into their defensive team rotations. He was periodically out of position, so the rotations were screwed up and the Heat got some wide open lanes to drive to the basket.

Okay, maybe a fourth thing. That guard Val is wearing is really screwing up his game. He seems really uncomfortable with it and a bit tentative.

Not going to comment on JL/AA because they were a part of the big win on Friday night. With those guys, they are going to help sometimes and hurt others. It is what it is. With the Heat defending with double teams like they were, both Derozan and Gay needed time to rest. Fields was out, LK was out, Pietrus was out, early fouls on Amir meant time at the four for Gay...you have to play AA and JLIII for 10 - 12 minutes each.

I am still FREAKING PUMPED.

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                      Did anyone notice how many free throws Demar got today? Is this the Rudy Gay effect taking place?

For sure at least partly. The D loads up less on him, this means when he's making his move, he runs into less help and so has more opportunities to attack, and may not feel the need to pull up and take jumpers as much. We'll see if it's a trend that continues

Comment

• I still like AA's ability to break people off the dribble. He gets by people with ease. The problem is he often runs into trouble and hasn't been making the right choices. He has had nights where he made a bunch of great passes and I'm sure he can do well once the team gets a few more practices. He can also get off his shot at any time, even with a defender right on him.

During the win streak he was hot and now he's slumping. I think once he gets used to Gay he can start making some passes after breaking his man down and be useful part of the rotation.

I hadn't seen much of Gay before and all the talk was that his defense isn't too good but he was clearly the best at hindering James. Pleasantly surprised.

Also, I like what I've been seeing from Gray recently, anchoring the defense. Hope that rumored trade for Howard doesn't happen.

Comment

• AlienOverlord wrote: View Post
                          I still like AA's ability to break people off the dribble. He gets by people with ease. The problem is he often runs into trouble and hasn't been making the right choices. He has had nights where he made a bunch of great passes and I'm sure he can do well once the team gets a few more practices. He can also get off his shot at any time, even with a defender right on him.

During the win streak he was hot and now he's slumping. I think once he gets used to Gay he can start making some passes after breaking his man down and be useful part of the rotation.

I hadn't seen much of Gay before and all the talk was that his defense isn't too good but he was clearly the best at hindering James. Pleasantly surprised.

Also, I like what I've been seeing from Gray recently, anchoring the defense. Hope that rumored trade for Howard doesn't happen.
                          The things that bug me about AA's game are related to your points here. He is a very good role player when he is in fact, doing his job. His focus should always be knocking down open 3s, and playing D. I love that he can drive off a couple of moves, but he really has been making piss poor decisions recently, going back well before the trade.

I also despise the amount of shots he takes that are contested. As a bench/role player, he should pretty strive to never take a bad shot, even when he was the designated bench scorer. He takes way too many shots with someone right in his face where you know the shot doesn't have a chance....

Comment

• What We Saw Yesterday Against Miami

(note: I never posted a new thread before, and have no clue if I am going this right...so sorry if I am violating some form of Etiquette here)

Yesterday, unlike 11 days ago when they were clearly sluggish for 3 quarters, I saw a Miami team who came ready to play. They came out hard on an 8-2 run, clearly thinking that they would turn it up from the beginning and blow us away early.

What we saw as a response by the Raps (after the DC timeout), was not only that they matched the intensity, but that the Heat for the rest of the game, required the big 3 to score 81 points to win.

We were good enough yesterday to force the Heat to play at a playoff caliber level. They exposed us in the 4th for exactly what we are: a young team trying to gel, with little depth at the 4 position, playing against the returning champs. I think that there's no shame in losing the way we did yesterday.

Just think how good we can be with more than one practice together. I truly believe that we are looking at a 6th seed next year at a minimum.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Unless you want to get blow out every game then starting bargs along side DeMar and Rudy is a recipe for disaster on both ends. Off the bench chucker should be his role, i'd rather him chuck than AA.
                              i've been firmly on team "Trade bargs"... BUT...

unless they pick up another PF who's a 3 pt threat..... i think you have to start bargs with demar, rudy, and lowry..

they shot an abysmal 20% or something like that last night from 3 pt range... that's effing UNACCEPTABLE when you have 3 players who thrive on creating their own shots and dribble penetration...

if you have three guys who're going to take it in the paint and attack the basket... you NEED somebody camped out on the 3 pt line...

you need somebody to kick it out to when the lane gets crowded..

you need somebody to draw the defending bigs out of the paint..

or else you're just throwing your mosquitos at the windshield.

and if we're intent on starting lowry, demar, and gay together... the outside threat has to come from our bigs...

or else the blueprint for defending the raps is simple, crowd the paint, because they aren't going to do a damn thing from the outside

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                Today's game was really telling, this team needs an overall talent upgrade.

We have our options filled. We have our guy in Rudy Gay, we have our secondary scorer in Derozan. Although, when your team struggles down the stretch of a game, and all of your players are struggling not named Derozan, Gay, it means this team needs another upgrade.

Usually, we've had inconsistent scoring leaders. Days it would be Bargnani, Lowry, Derozan, Anderson, Amir, Ed, Jose, etc. Now, Gay is going to be the guy, with Derozan the likely second to follow.

Lowry is still an if, but he's done a nice job putting in a balance, but I'd rather see a little bit more control with his aggressiveness. We need a CONSISTENT bench threat - likely to be Bargnani when back from injury - a TRUE low post scorer, and a back-up point guard that slows the tempo down, and looks to create for others. Two scoring minded point guards isn't always an answer for success. Look at Detroit, that's why they wanted Jose so badly.

This team played really hard, but when your best guys start going cold, you need guys to step up, not guys to chuck up; - Lucas, Anderon, Ross - and rotations in terms of lineups need to be consistent (Yes Coach Casey, I am speaking to YOU).

I'm pretty sure we all sound like broken records, but we really need a guy like Gasol (a guy LIKE Gasol, not him exactly, tempo will hurt his production), maybe Milsap, Jefferson, West. Than a back-up point guard like Udrih (expiring contract), or Ridnour.

I mentioned in another thread, if worst comes to worst, I would definitely take a Williams + Ridnour for Bargnani + Anderson type deal and run. Williams would really fit in this system. Tweener who can play inside and out, athletic, underrated defensively, 6'10 (which is almost typical range for a power forward), and contains a lot of potential. Ridnour brings the pass-first type play, and veteran experience/leadership this team will need now that Jose is gone.

We are only 2 games in with Gay, we really don't know what we need, until we play a bit more. I knew the first game was going to go to peoples heads, lets give it ten games and let the players get comfortable with their new teammate.

We looked good, Miami looked much better. Could you tell which team played together longer? Miami is going to be tough matchup for this roster to begin with, I don't reallly think its fair to assess team needs after after losing to Miami, lets see how we do against more realistic opponents.
                                Last edited by BasketballCrush; Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X