Cap Eating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap Eating?

We've all been talking about the free agent class, right? Well here's one for you. The Raptors could have upwards of around $22M if they chose to use the amnesty clause. Without that they're still looking at like $12M. They're set to take on JV and possibly a top five lotto selection. They're going to get a big influx of talent at to key positions right there. They can add another guy, maybe good enough to be a starter in his own right, by sending Ed or Amir packing. So, we could be looking at a suped up core(addition of three young guys good enough to start) without even putting the keys in the ignition during summer free agency. If that plays out and the Raptors enter free agency how would you feel if instead of becoming "buyers" it turns out they become "eaters" by facilitating a cap dump trade by another team? Typically these sorts of trades don't lead to great players coming back but a lot of times 1st rounders are tossed in to sweeten the pot for the eater. I'll give you an example of a scenario and I am not endorsing this play, but I'm just trying to paint a picture for you of how one of these deal could work.

Houston enters free agency at around $30M in guaranteed contract and whole lot of team options on players. If they were to find a taker for Kevin Martin that would allow them to be power buyers in the summer to totally revamp their squad overnight. Who know's maybe they see what the Heat did and they decide to replicate it on a lower level. What if the Raptors and Rockets got together and did this:

Kevin Martin, 1st rounder for Solomon Alabi(team option)?

I know it sounds crazy but keep in mind in this scenario the Raptors have added two starters via high lottery picks and a third via an Amir Johnson or Ed Davis trade and the Rockets are looking to get rid of K-mart a year early so that they can be big players this summer. For the Raptors by adding a vet with only a year left on the books and a 1st rounder they've essentially done two things. Shored up their wing scoring, added another kick at the can in the 2013 draft and opened up options in 2013 free agent class should the free agent class of 2012 be uninterested in Toronto as a destination. Thoughts? There are other possible plays like this, this is just a hypothetical scenario.

I would love something like that.

I've been saying all along cap space is for more than free agents.

I assume you went with Martin due to his benching of late?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I would love something like that.

I've been saying all along cap space is for more than free agents.

I assume you went with Martin due to his benching of late?
      You assumed correct. You can even click his name to read about it.

On top of that the Rockets look primed for a major retooling now that they have new cooks in the kitchen and the means to make drastic positive changes to their current situation.

Comment

Interesting but wouldnt acquiring Martin for Alabi be not possible because the transaction puts us over the cap? Is this permissible under the new cba...I have amnesia after the summer....unless of course you are advocating doing the deal after amnestying Jose. I am all for getting another first rounder and Houston's would not be too bad.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          Interesting but wouldnt acquiring Martin for Alabi be not possible because the transaction puts us over the cap? Is this permissible under the new cba...I have amnesia after the summer....unless of course you are advocating doing the deal after amnestying Jose. I am all for getting another first rounder and Houston's would not be too bad.
          So insert another name that works or amnesty Kleiza. This is a minor detail given the magnitude of the trade.

Comment

As long as the contract is only for one year more and the player is not a cancer (ie. Stephen Jackson, Metta World Peace)

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              To make this happen before the trade deadline, the Raptors could send along expiring contracts (Barbosa and Bayless, for example).

They could also make it happen July 1st. At that time Alabi would be guaranteed for 2012-13 season though. If Toronto moved another million or so, they could make the trade outright with as a little as a top 55 protected 2024 2nd round pick going out.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                So insert another name that works or amnesty Kleiza. This is a minor detail given the magnitude of the trade.
                Totally off topic but......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

I would take Kevin Martin in a second.

Comment

Ya, Klieza should stay with the team. He's very versatile and I love his attitude. The smirk he gets on his face is awesome!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Totally off topic but......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
                      Peeeeople, I'm easy to get along with. So maybe it's somebody else or maybe it's a three way dance to add even more flexibility to the trade. Work with me here.

Comment

haha, it's an example, but what if it was Luke Walton. Would you still take his contract for a first rounder?

Comment

Or a Salmons or Biedrins? Longer contracts, and possibly one of the most over paid.
                          Last edited by saints91; Wed Feb 15, 2012, 07:32 PM.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                            Or a Salmons or Bierdins? Longer contracts, and possibly one of the most over paid.
                            For Sacramento's pick, I would take Salmons.

GSW pick is top 7 protected to Utah but for 7 or higher, I'd take Biendris too.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Peeeeople, I'm easy to get along with. So maybe it's somebody else or maybe it's a three way dance to add even more flexibility to the trade. Work with me here.

Alright, alright. I'll calm down.

Is this idea coming originating from Seattle/OKC and their acquisition of Kurt Thomas plus 2 first round picks?

Comment

Working...
                              X