No announcement yet.

My problem with Raptors broadcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt Devlin seems to be at his best with Jack, they have a chemistry. Leo always seems to insult Matt in a way.

Also, Matt seems to be better in big games. i.e. On TNT during the playoffs.

The only problem I have with the broadcasting, is Leo Rautins. Please, oh PLEASE, sit him in the TSN booth all day. I would rather have Sherman Hamilton the colour guy.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I have to say that (except for the singing) I've always appreciated Jack. And I took another look at Matt ( who I thought was too smarmy America), when the NBA had him for some of the high profile playoff games. He's considered one of the best and it's little things like that that can change the perception of the league. Still miss Chuck...that one hurt.

Comment

gman wrote: View Post
        i have to say that (except for the singing) i've always appreciated jack. And i took another look at matt ( who i thought was too smarmy america), when the nba had him for some of the high profile playoff games. He's considered one of the best and it's little things like that that can change the perception of the league. Still miss chuck...that one hurt.
        hate leo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
          First off, during last night's game. Matt and Leo didn't announce that Ross is out till midway thru the 1st quarter. What's up with that? total bush league in my opinion. Ross is one of the most important bench player on this team.
          A) It was no big secret that ross was hurt.
          B) the first cut sequence before the game was of ross in street clothes. without a tie. You wanna bitch about something? Join me in bitching about millionaires who cant dress properly. Everyone should be taking lessons from JV. Hes a lady slayer no doubt.

Comment

I hate Rod Black much more than Matt/Jack/Leo combined.

He once referred to a reverse dunk as a "back-handed jam" :|

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
              I have to say that (except for the singing) I've always appreciated Jack. And I took another look at Matt ( who I thought was too smarmy America), when the NBA had him for some of the high profile playoff games. He's considered one of the best and it's little things like that that can change the perception of the league. Still miss Chuck...that one hurt.
              Me too.....

the problem with our broadcasts is that these guys come off far too much like they are fans who travel with the team..i.e. that they're emotionally invested with the players. I think that is the truth, don't get me wrong, but that means we will usually get either a string of whining when we're not playing well, or complete over the top excitement for basic plays like rebounding (like when matt devlin uses a raspy voice to go "ANDREA WITH THE REBOUND")

I think this is acceptable if you are fun to listen to like Chuck was (and I always loved how leo was jealous of his catch phrases)

But I would like some more objectivity in my broadcasts, similar to the way they have it on TNT. The one announcer with a former player or coach like Reggie Miller, or JVG is always much better to listen to because they know the game, and they speak about things realistically.

We spend all day talking to our friends about the games, we don't need another fan's perspective. Let's get some real knowledge from these people

P.S. no more changing the camera angle when we have a fast break....they ruined T-ross' windmill this year

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                P.S. no more changing the camera angle when we have a fast break....they ruined T-ross' windmill this year
                Wow, I COMPLETELY agree with this. The viewers can't appreciate a player's elevation/vertical leap while watching from the floor's point of view (we can't notice how far his feet are off the ground).

Stick to the main camera for live action, and use the baseline camera for replays.

Comment

Devlin is horrible. Every basket is announced with a gutteral DEROZZZZZAN or JOSEEEEE or (insert player name here). Without fail. It's horrible. He misses blocked shots. He lacks critical knowledge of the game. He uses the term "upfake". He says "bang on". For a miss he says "no". He calls players by their first name.

Leo is a cocky clown. All he does is complain and lecture like a know it all with 32 NBA games to his credit.

I'd rather listen to Jack do the games by himself - not necessarily doing play by play, but just commenting. That would be awesome.

Comment

Listen and cry.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Dislike Leo

The only one I can't stand I Coach Leo. He is condescending and insults the viewer's knowledge. The raps are not a new franchise anymore and the viewers have been watching basketball for a while and don't need him telling us/coaching us the basic rules of basketball.

He also uses hindsight to always be right.
                      * shot missed * "Oh he shouldn't have taken that shot."
                      * shot hit from same spot, same player * "Perfect use of the offence"

Amazing how no one likes him and he still has a colour job. Can't we test drive someone else, or even better just let Jack handle all broadcasts?

As far as Chuck, "Salami and Cheese" was always the ultimate jinx. "NBA facial"-did he not know the other use of the word facial??!?! I may be the only one, but I prefer Devlin.

Comment

robert parrish 00 wrote: View Post
                        As far as Chuck, "Salami and Cheese" was always the ultimate jinx. "NBA facial"-did he not know the other use of the word facial??!?! I may be the only one, but I prefer Devlin.
                        There were very few people loving Swirsky while he was here. He was embarrassingly over-the-top with his calls, came up with lame nicknames for the most inconsequential players (since when does Lonny Baxter deserve a nickname?), and the ultimate joke was Swirsky being the lone person voting Bargnani as rookie of the year, while the remaining 120 voters chose Brandon Roy. Swirsky was the king of homers.

Bell/Rogers should just shell out the cash and get Dan Shulman back to Canada.

Comment

Swirsk was a fake. Devlin is much more outgoing with fans. Once the camera was off, Swirsk would not give you the time of day.

I don't want to see shtick. That is all Chuck was. He also ruined Roys unianimous nomination by throwing Andrea's name in there, it was embarrassing.

Then he bolts to the USA because the medical system is so much better, then after his wife leaves him comes grovelling for his job to BC. I don't like slicksters and Chuck was one.

(I did like his radio show though, thought that worked very very well)

Comment

Leo and Rod Black need to F%$K RIGHT OFF. Rod Black is just spoon feeding Leo softball questions and giving him too much of a forum to run his mouth. I don't think he has ever really watched a basketball game either.

Leo spends the whole game trying to coach and tell every player what they should have done, as if his shit don't stink and he's never made a bad decision. When you get fired as coach of Canada's team, you shouldn't be giving anyone coaching advice you numptie. The Raptors should take a cue from Basketball Canada and dump this putz.

Another guy that needs to go is Paul Jones on radio. He knows a lot, and his play by play isn't that bad, but he try's way to hard to come up with some saying that might become a catch phrase of his. I also find he gets way to excited for the opposing team. Not to mention his excitement just doesn't sound genuine.
                            Deadallus

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Stop bitching. There are worse commentators around trust me. Although i do agree on Leo Rautins sucking monkey balls. They need to bring back Swirsky and put him on sportsnet with Matt
                              You cant have two play-by-play commentators on the same broadcast..

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                There were very few people loving Swirsky while he was here. He was embarrassingly over-the-top with his calls, came up with lame nicknames for the most inconsequential players (since when does Lonny Baxter deserve a nickname?), and the ultimate joke was Swirsky being the lone person voting Bargnani as rookie of the year, while the remaining 120 voters chose Brandon Roy. Swirsky was the king of homers.

Bell/Rogers should just shell out the cash and get Dan Shulman back to Canada.
                                Never liked Swirsky either. Dan Shulman would be terrific

Comment

Working...
                                X