Resign Telfair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resign Telfair

The guy isn't ever gonna do anything spectacular, nor will he be anything more than a back up point guard, but heres what I've noticed about him and about the Raptors in general.

Our starters generally get us a lead in the first quarter, only to have the bench come in and blow it in the first 4 minutes of the second quarter.

Cue Telfair. A pass first, controlled, patient pg replaces the erratic JL3 and all of a sudden we can hold our leads. Maybe they give up 2-4 points when they sub in, but its not the old JL3-run bench that goes -12 in 6 minutes.

If he will resign for like 3-4 million a year for a couple years I'd pull the trigger. He is exactly what we need as a back up guard who can go in when Lowry is struggling or just needs a breather, and you can count on him to protect the ball and not make rash, annoying decisions.

As well, when it's time for the starters to go back in, it's obviously a way better situation for them when they're still up 4-5 points and not down 3 after all their hard work from the first quarter. I think it goes a long way when your backup pg is just a fundamentally solid, nothing spectacular, nothing flashy, type player.

What do you think? Do you guys agree that he makes a much bigger impact that the score sheet lets on?

I thought he had some very questionable decisions and poor shot selections.

I agree he did play well overall.

$3-4M? Per Year?

Definitely not.

$2M max. That is still generous imo.

Comment

Is it me or did JL3 look pissed tonight? Hes a good trade chip with the bulls... Just saying.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I thought he had some very questionable decisions and poor shot selections.

I agree he did play well overall.

$3-4M? Per Year?

Definitely not.

$2M max. That is still generous imo.
        I'm thinking Telfair has been pretty solid in his time so far. A little early to be talking any kind of numbers, but if he keeps up this kind of play $3M isn't out of the question.

Comment

Im a fan of Telfair using the full court press on every possession. Sometimes to be a good defender you just have to be annoying.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            Im a fan of Telfair using the full court press on every possession. Sometimes to be a good defender you just have to be annoying.
            +1
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

colef5 wrote: View Post
              Our starters generally get us a lead in the first quarter, only to have the bench come in and blow it in the first 4 minutes of the second quarter.

Cue Telfair. A pass first, controlled, patient pg replaces the erratic JL3 and all of a sudden we can hold our leads. Maybe they give up 2-4 points when they sub in, but its not the old JL3-run bench that goes -12 in 6 minutes.

If he will resign for like 3-4 million a year for a couple years I'd pull the trigger. He is exactly what we need as a back up guard who can go in when Lowry is struggling or just needs a breather, and you can count on him to protect the ball and not make rash, annoying decisions.
              I agree that he has been an improvement over Lucas when it comes to maintaining leads. When Lucas plays back-up, the fear of losing leads is always there but with Telfair you feel more comfortable.

However:-
              -He is not a primary back up PG IMO. For the low cost and the fact that he can score when the team is behind, I prefer Lucas as a '3rd stringer'.

-Telfair is worth not more than 1.5 mil per season.

-There's a reason he has not made it big in the NBA. Let's not get carried away by a couple of games.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

He is quite good at the back-up role wherever he has gone. I'm willing to re-sign him this off-season, he's been solid in sample time this season.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                  He is quite good at the back-up role wherever he has gone. I'm willing to re-sign him this off-season, he's been solid in sample time this season.
                  I am not in favour of him being the back up but if he's signed as a 3rd stringer in favour of Lucas, I won't complain. I think Raps. should have a much better 2nd string(back up) PG.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I would be OK with Bassy as the back up PG for a year or two if we get a good young prospect waiting in the wings.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                      I would be OK with Bassy as the back up PG for a year or two if we get a good young prospect waiting in the wings.
                      Trey Burke.

I love that guy.

Comment

Should be noted Raps have Early Bird Rights on Telfair and can only sign him to a 30% raise over his $1.6M salary for this season.

$2.08M is the max Raps could offer.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Should be noted Raps have Early Bird Rights on Telfair and can only sign him to a 30% raise over his $1.6M salary for this season.

$2.08M is the max Raps could offer.
                          Well, that is if he deserves a raise. Nothing more than a veteran's minimum for me. Two years max.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            Well, that is if he deserves a raise. Nothing more than a veteran's minimum for me. Two years max.
                            Agree. The minimum possible over a couple years to be the 3rd PG is fine. Rather see JL playing that role though.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                              Agree. The minimum possible over a couple years to be the 3rd PG is fine. Rather see JL playing that role though.
                              I don't like JL3 as a backup. His defense is suspect and cannot run an offence.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                              X