Raptors future in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karl Marx. wrote: View Post
    I agree. Refs tend to help the "big" teams against "smaller" teams.
    While we have been hit by some of the rules created to make Toronto and Vancouver less comparative, I do not believe refs were part of it.
    There were some rules against them when the franchises started.

However there have been some rules brought in to help them moving forward.

"The fined if you publicly seek a trade" rule was brought in due to Carter antics causing Toronto to get nowhere near fair value for him.

Restricted free agency was a direct result of McGrady.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      There were some rules against them when the franchises started.

However there have been some rules brought in to help them moving forward.

"The fined if you publicly seek a trade" rule was brought in due to Carter antics causing Toronto to get nowhere near fair value for him.

Restricted free agency was a direct result of McGrady.
      In what way did those rules helped the Raptors?
      Not to mention Francis blackmailing the Grizzlies to trade him.
      I am not sure he could have done that if they were an American team.

Comment

Gotta agree with this, those rules don't really help the Raptors, they help teams that will be in the same predicament we were in, in the future.

Let's be real, most rules instituted have screwed us at the time lol.

1996 NBA Draft: We win the draft lottery, but Stern says that expansion teams can't pick #1, so we get Camby instead of Iverson

2006 NBA Draft: We win the draft lottery, but it was decided earlier that no high school players could be drafted, which made the class relatively weak. Instead of deciding between Oden and Durant, we pick Il Mago

Comment

The didn't help the Raptors in the past, relative to the Grizzlies, but they will help the Raptors (all teams) avoid those negative situations in the first place.

Absolutely it could have happened to an American team. In fact, it has. Kobe did it to the entire league and forced Sacramento to trade him to LA, after many other teams had purposefully passed on him because they knew he wouldn't play for them. Remember, Vancouver didn't have to draft him (they really should have known that after holding pre-draft interviews with him), nor did they have to trade him; they bet on false hope and then capitulated.

Xixak wrote: View Post
          Gotta agree with this, those rules don't really help the Raptors, they help teams that will be in the same predicament we were in, in the future.

Let's be real, most rules instituted have screwed us at the time lol.

1996 NBA Draft: We win the draft lottery, but Stern says that expansion teams can't pick #1, so we get Camby instead of Iverson

2006 NBA Draft: We win the draft lottery, but it was decided earlier that no high school players could be drafted, which made the class relatively weak. Instead of deciding between Oden and Durant, we pick Il Mago
          It's unfortunate that the Raptors getting burned is what helped convince the league to change rules, but it's all just coincidence. I don't think there was ever any malicious intent or even bad karma directed towards the Raptors... more of perfect storm (and I know you weren't implying otherwise).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            It's unfortunate that the Raptors getting burned is what helped convince the league to change rules, but it's all just coincidence. I don't think there was ever any malicious intent or even bad karma directed towards the Raptors... more of perfect storm (and I know you weren't implying otherwise).
            Neither do I, I think we just have terrible luck lol

Comment

Working...
            X