Pistons interested in Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sig wrote: View Post
    Yeah all that cap space would be great. We would totally use it, just like last year.
    the cap space wouldn't really be the point, so much as not having a team built around a decent player making superstar money, as well signaling a rebuild.

Sig wrote: View Post
    We wouldn't even be that bad considering how bad other teams have gotten.
    that's a legitimate concern but i'd prefer taking a shot to the treadmill.

Comment

The Raps could work a deal with Detroit, where they would receive Detroit's 2014 1st round pick, if it falls in the top-8 (it goes to Charlotte if outside top-8). Toronto would need to give Detroit their 2015 1st round pick, so Detroit has 2 1st round picks in 2015, allowing them to complete the Charlotte trade in 2015 (only top-1 protected in 2015) - if Detroit has 2 1st round picks in 2015, they can surrender one to Charlotte without being considered trading 1st round picks in back-to-back years. Maybe Detroit includes another future 1st round pick to Toronto (ie: 2018), so Toronto still nets out getting an extra 1st round pick.

To Toronto
      - Stuckey
      - Villanueva
      - 2014 1st round pick (top-8), or else 2015 1st round pick
      - 2018 1st round pick (if they give their 2014 1st round pick to Toronto)

To Detroit
      - Gay
      - 2015 1st round pick (if they get Detroit's 2014 1st round pick)

A deal like that would allow Toronto to get a top-8 pick in the loaded 2014 draft, while working around the conditions of Detroit's previous trade with Charlotte. Of course, if Gay is added to Detroit's roster, they could very well become a playoff team in an incredibly weak Eastern Conference, full of tankers next season.
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 3, 2013, 02:50 AM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        The Raps could work a deal with Detroit, where they would receive Detroit's 2014 1st round pick, if it falls in the top-8 (it goes to Charlotte if outside top-8). Toronto would need to give Detroit their 2015 1st round pick, so Detroit has 2 1st round picks in 2015, allowing them to complete the Charlotte trade in 2015 (only top-1 protected in 2015) - if Detroit has 2 1st round picks in 2015, they can surrender one to Charlotte without being considered trading 1st round picks in back-to-back years. Maybe Detroit includes another future 1st round pick to Toronto (ie: 2018), so Toronto still nets out getting an extra 1st round pick.

To Toronto
        - Stuckey
        - Villanueva
        - 2014 1st round pick (top-8), or else 2015 1st round pick
        - 2018 1st round pick (if they give their 2014 1st round pick to Toronto)

To Detroit
        - Gay
        - 2015 1st round pick (if they get Detroit's 2014 1st round pick)

A deal like that would allow Toronto to get a top-8 pick in the loaded 2014 draft, while working around the conditions of Detroit's previous trade with Charlotte. Of course, if Gay is added to Detroit's roster, they could very well become a playoff team in an incredibly weak Eastern Conference, full of tankers next season.
        I want no part of that. You're trading away a good, albeit very overpaid player, for crap (a bit of flexibility) and the chance at a good player in a strong draft.

Seriously, if Monroe and KCP aren't in this deal, fuck Detroit. THey want to make a trade so that they don't lose a single good player-asset. No good deal to be had here. IT's just Dumars making it look like he's trying to do something.

I mean, I trust Masai and his history of trades. Don't think he pulls a deal with Detroit unless he gets at least one of Monroe or KCP, as well as a couple of picks.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I want no part of that. You're trading away a good, albeit very overpaid player, for crap (a bit of flexibility) and the chance at a good player in a strong draft.

Seriously, if Monroe and KCP aren't in this deal, fuck Detroit. THey want to make a trade so that they don't lose a single good player-asset. No good deal to be had here. IT's just Dumars making it look like he's trying to do something.

I mean, I trust Masai and his history of trades. Don't think he pulls a deal with Detroit unless he gets at least one of Monroe or KCP, as well as a couple of picks.
          Detroit has no picks and are not ideal trading partner without monroe or Drummond on table.

Any deal would have to include right to swap, one first available pick, knight, and kcp.

If not, good night Joe.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Detroit has no picks and are not ideal trading partner without monroe or Drummond on table.

Any deal would have to include right to swap, one first available pick, knight, and kcp.

If not, good night Joe.
            Oh yeah, doesn't surprise me in least if this was leaked to increase/gauge interest in gay and possibly even DeRozan.

Comment

The only Detroit deal I'd be okay with where they don't give up a major player-asset (in terms of one who's hit the NBA hardwood).

Det sends: Rights to KCP and Tony Mitchell, Jonas Jerebko, a 2014 1st (protected), and 2 2nd rders....and then whatever it takes to fill out the deal, except Charlie V. Stucky, maybe. At least Stuckey should be able to earn some minutes. Also they have cap space, so I don't know how they feel about using money and throwing a TPE our way.

Tor sends: Gay, and the right for Detroit to swap picks with us in 2016 if we get their 2014 pick.

Toronto totally fleeces Detroit in this deal, but that's fine with me. Would Detroit do it? I don't want to say no in regards to a man who gave Ben Gordon, Rodney Stuckey and Charlie V lucrative long-term deals.

Comment

If not, good night Joe.
                Right, keep forgetting that. Without a 2014 first rounder, I'd want for sure a 2015 first rounder, only top 3 protected, and a 2017 first rounder, lottery protected. No more second rounders if they can't offer us a 2014 1st.....Ok, maybe some second rounders, but they'd have to sweeten the deal as much as possible....Maybe if they offer a TPE instead of a Stuckey's expiring contract. I don't know why, I also trust Ujiri to actually use a TPE if he gets a decently-sized one.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jul 3, 2013, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Can't see MU doing this deal. If the idea is to tank, then surely we can get better than expiring deals for Gay (picks, prospects, etc).
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

If Pistons trade Drummond they'd be idiots, no one would pass up such a physical specimen with the potential to dominate centres for the next 10 years for some run of the mill shooting guard.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                      If Pistons trade Drummond they'd be idiots, no one would pass up such a physical specimen with the potential to dominate centres for the next 10 years for some run of the mill shooting guard.

There's no way they trade Drummond. I'm not convinced they're as high on Monroe. He suffers from what I am going to start calling "classic tweener syndrome". He cannot defend either position he plays very well. He's still a bit slow footed and lazy to guard PFs. And he's a much worse defensive C than Drummond. And as a big man, his help D is quite unspectaculer. Is he a talent? For sure. He can rebound, and score in multiple ways, and has a very good feel for the game. So did Derrick Coleman, though.

And Brandon Knight has this same problem in the backcourt.

In fact, I don't even want Monroe, but he's a high-quality asset right now, and we could easily flip him again within a couple of years and get a player that fits better.

The players I want on Detroit...are none (I mean, assuming Drummond is untouchable, because if he's not, Dumars needs to stop trying to outdo Ford on the crackpipe). I want their 2 drafted players from this year, KCP and Mitchell. Both were players I would've been happy enough with if Ujiri had gotten into the draft.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        There's no way they trade Drummond. I'm not convinced they're as high on Monroe. He suffers from what I am going to start calling "classic tweener syndrome". He cannot defend either position he plays very well. He's still a bit slow footed and lazy to guard PFs. And he's a much worse defensive C than Drummond. And as a big man, his help D is quite unspectaculer. Is he a talent? For sure. He can rebound, and score in multiple ways, and has a very good feel for the game. So did Derrick Coleman, though.

And Brandon Knight has this same problem in the backcourt.

In fact, I don't even want Monroe, but he's a high-quality asset right now, and we could easily flip him again within a couple of years and get a player that fits better.

The players I want on Detroit...are none (I mean, assuming Drummond is untouchable, because if he's not, Dumars needs to stop trying to outdo Ford on the crackpipe). I want their 2 drafted players from this year, KCP and Mitchell. Both were players I would've been happy enough with if Ujiri had gotten into the draft.
                        If you could get KCP and Monroe (and filler) for Rudy, I think I take that. Forget 2014 picks or future picks.

Honestly, I don't know much about Monroe other than watching games versus Raptors and stats. Pistons have hardly been worth watching since the AI-Billups trade. Not sure about his work ethic or potential moving forward either. But based solely on need, flexibility, and future competitiveness, I take this.

Comment

I can't do this deal straight up for expiring contracts. I think a Monroe, JV front court is an interesting prospect. I'd do Charlie V, Monroe, Picks (any year), Cash for Rudy, but not two expiring contracts straight up
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

If you could get KCP and Monroe (and filler) for Rudy, I think I take that. Forget 2014 picks or future picks.

Honestly, I don't know much about Monroe other than watching games versus Raptors and stats. Pistons have hardly been worth watching since the AI-Billups trade. Not sure about his work ethic or potential moving forward either. But based solely on need, flexibility, and future competitiveness, I take this.
                            If they also give us Tony Mitchell, I'd be willing to settle for maybe just a couple of 2nd rders. I don't know. It's hard now, after Ujiri somehow got 3 draft picks (if it goes through) for the leaning tower of Primo.

I was fairly big on KCP and Tony Mitchell though. Mitchell has lottery talents, but is a bit of a project. KCP should be able to contribute right away. I think Mitchell was on the Raps board somewhere too (remember reading that).

Comment

This is actually pretty cool.. if I've learned anything already from Ujiri is that he's full of surprises. Detroit showing interest in Gay could mean that Ujiri is waiting for another team to call him so that he can create a bidding war.

For example, the Suns came out of left field in the Bledsoe rumours.

I would be willing to get rid of Gay if we could get a solid core piece, a young asset, and picks. If Detroit does land Gay I don't really see them as a lottery team, at least not in the bottom 8. So that Charlotte pick will look pretty bad.

I wonder if the Suns would be interested? Dragic (or Gortat), Scola, and 2014 first (or Minny's 2014 first but that's protected)? If I recall, they were one of the teams interested in Gay last year.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                I can't do this deal straight up for expiring contracts. I think a Monroe, JV front court is an interesting prospect. I'd do Charlie V, Monroe, Picks (any year), Cash for Rudy, but not two expiring contracts straight up

Good lord no.

That report was either leaked by:

Toronto to let people know they are accepting offers for Gay,

or

Detroit to create a very low value/starting point of any Gay discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X