No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirilenko scares the hell out of me. He's 31 and will be playing a lot of minutes in the Olympics and Euro ball in the summer. He has a history of being injured quite often and I can see him asking for big bucks to be lured away from his home country.

Mayo is quite interesting.. and I think it can create some awkwardness for DeMar (which I think he needs). I'm not sure what kind of package Memphis would be looking for in a sign and trade, or how much it would take to get Mayo without Memphis matching. He'd be worth it for about $6M a year, but that might be too low.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      If his actually healthy. He would be the perfect fit on this team. He guards, he can shoot the 3, he a good athlete. His been in big playoffs game and he would come at a good market value. I think MLE would get him here and that would be a steal for the old Jeff Green. It would also be such a good story too.
      His defense is inconsistent at best. Hè shoots the 3 on a below average% (30% last year) and he shoots a lot of them. In Oklahoma he played a lot at pf and rebounded worse than Bargnani (better let that one sink in...).

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        Mayo > DD, but I like the idea of Mayo being able to be a better sparkplug/scorer off the bench as the 1st scoring option on the 2nd unit, which would also help balance the starters/backups. Even in the 6th man role as technically the backup SG, I could see Mayo easily being top 4/5 in minutes played.
        You can like that idea all you want. Mayo has no interest in being anything but a starter. Hence his annoyance in Memphis and that he likely won't be there after this season.
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          If it's a choice between Mayo or DeRozan as my starter, it's Mayo 100%.
          +1
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
            His defense is inconsistent at best. Hè shoots the 3 on a below average% (30% last year) and he shoots a lot of them. In Oklahoma he played a lot at pf and rebounded worse than Bargnani (better let that one sink in...).
            5 - 6 boards is all you are really looking for from your 3...anything more than that is bonus. He was 37% from three as a starter. Bench roles really mess with a players production. (see Bayless)

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
              You can like that idea all you want. Mayo has no interest in being anything but a starter. Hence his annoyance in Memphis and that he likely won't be there after this season.
              Fair enough. Personally speaking, I'd be happy with the Raps signing Mayo as the starting SG and trading DeRozan for another lottery pick. I think Mayo and AK47 would both bring the veteran leadership and outside shooting that BC/DC crave. If DeRozan could be flipped for MKG/Beal, in addition to their own lottery pick landing Marshall, then I would be a happy boy!

Comment

Fair enough. Personally speaking, I'd be happy with the Raps signing Mayo as the starting SG and trading DeRozan for another lottery pick. I think Mayo and AK47 would both bring the veteran leadership and outside shooting that BC/DC crave. If DeRozan could be flipped for MKG/Beal, in addition to their own lottery pick landing Marshall, then I would be a happy boy!
                I'd like a AK47 and Mayo wing tandem with Wilson Chandler as the 6th man....excuse me while I put some ice on this basketboner

Comment

I'd like a AK47 and Mayo wing tandem with Wilson Chandler as the 6th man....excuse me while I put some ice on this basketboner
                  haha Amir for Chandler works financially, if Denver wants some PF depth... pass the ice, please.

Unfortunately Denver already has Faried and Harrington at PF, with Mozgov, Andersen, Koufos and McGee at C, so I doubt they'd be interested in Amir. We'd need a third team involved that wants Amir and has something to offer Denver (or just more TPE)... and hopefully they'd be able to get us that ice we need.
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Apr 30, 2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    If it's a choice between Mayo or DeRozan as my starter, it's Mayo 100%.
                    What if you don't need to choose? DeRozan's main off-season focus is going to be defense. Slide him to the 3 and start Mayo at the 2. Problem solved.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      What if you don't need to choose? DeRozan's main off-season focus is going to be defense. Slide him to the 3 and start Mayo at the 2. Problem solved.
                      Or perhaps DeRozan's weaknesses would be less glaring in the 6th man role, where he would theoretically thrive playing against oppenent's second unit. I worry that DD's defensive shortcomings would be magnified when asked to defend against bigger/stronger SFs. He could play behind Mayo, with some lineups having both of them on the court.

Even if the Raptors were to target multiple wing upgrades, I could see AK47 and Mayo starting with JJ/Kleiza and DD off the bench. JJ might even become trade bait, along with Ed Davis, to either upgrade their own lottery pick or to add an additional lottery pick.

Comment

Or perhaps DeRozan's weaknesses would be less glaring in the 6th man role, where he would theoretically thrive playing against oppenent's second unit. I worry that DD's defensive shortcomings would be magnified when asked to defend against bigger/stronger SFs. He could play behind Mayo, with some lineups having both of them on the court.

Even if the Raptors were to target mutliple wing upgrades, I could see AK47 and Mayo starting with JJ/Kleiza and DD off the bench. JJ might even become trade bait, along with Ed Davis, to either upgrade their own lottery pick or to add an additional lottery pick.

Not many SF's are playing heavily in the post in this day in age. DeRozan would be fine. The difference between the wing positions has been blurred in the modern era. If you worried about his size please see eight time defensive award winner Bruce Bowen as a case study of what can be accomplished. Also Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace are two more examples off the top of my head. Those guys wanted it and they were tough. DeRozan has the right coach to bring that out in him. If Casey can't do that then the failure in DeRozan's. We will see in the next year or so. In the meantime it doesn't hurt to play him there and see what happens. I think he's better suited for the 3 personally.

Comment

5 - 6 boards is all you are really looking for from your 3...anything more than that is bonus. He was 37% from three as a starter. Bench roles really mess with a players production. (see Bayless)
                          Again: he played pf for most of his minutes, not sf. I don't know where you are basing that 37% on, on his 2 games as a starter with Boston? Last year, he started all the games he played for the Thunder, 49 in total, and hit only 56 of his 184 threepoint attempts for 30,4%. Evidently it has nothing to do with starting or not, he's just not that good.

Comment

• Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
                            08-09 OKC 78 78 36.8 0.446 0.389 0.788 1.5 5.1 6.7 2.0 1.0 0.4 2.22 2.59 16.5
                            09-10 OKC 82 82 37.1 0.453 0.333 0.740 1.4 4.6 6.0 1.6 1.3 0.9 1.65 2.70 15.1

There you go 39% and 33% and his starting numbers as a stretch 4

Comment

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
                              08-09 OKC 78 78 36.8 0.446 0.389 0.788 1.5 5.1 6.7 2.0 1.0 0.4 2.22 2.59 16.5
                              09-10 OKC 82 82 37.1 0.453 0.333 0.740 1.4 4.6 6.0 1.6 1.3 0.9 1.65 2.70 15.1

There you go 39% and 33% and his starting numbers as a stretch 4
                              That's not "there you go." You said 37% as a starter; is that number wrong or where does it come from?

Now you give two years of his stats and leave out the worst years, including last year. I'd say the last year normally should be the most important so why leave that one out?

The fact is that he is a career below average threepointshooter (even shooting 30% last year) while, during his time in Oklahoma he took over 3,5(!) per game. That's just terrible when you shoot them that bad.

Comment

Wait, so you want to trade a 4th year Derozan for another rookie Derozan to teach all over again?
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X