No announcement yet.

Reggie Evans wants to stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see any team out there offering Reggie a 3 or 4 year deal. The guy turns 31 in a month and has had two back to back seasons with huge time missed due to injury. If he wants a longer term contract he will sign for cheap so that he can stick around the league for a few years, if he want a 1 year deal at 4 mil he may find a team to give it to him, but not the Raptors.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
      At some damn point and time you have to stick with some of your best players and not just hopeful talent. We cannot have an entire lineup filled with potential. At some positions must be the kind of veteran leadership that can bring about more consistency. And when struggles happen in games, it is often the veterans that allow a team to get through it easier and quicker.

I am a fan of Amir. He's only 23. With him really only in his 3rd season of actual playing time. We know Ed Davis is not going anywhere. Does this mean there is no spot for Evans? He has connected with Raptors fans in a unique way. He brings a "force of nature" kind of game to the floor that is rare around these parts. One of the reasons for his popularity. It is not unreasonable popularity. Fans KNOW that he is doing the right thing.

Look at our team. We have a Centre that can play the PF position. With certain lineups Davis can continue to get minutes at Centre. We have the room to make this situation work. And it gives us some needed depth at one position. But if we let him walk away we are assuming that he will continue to break down. A few less minutes might add to longevity. And a player wanting to come back is worth quite a lot.
      And just to add to that, it was the veterans, on both our team and the Suns team, that kept the game alive, when we played them. We gotta remember that the importance of having a few vets on your team is that, for one, they KNOW the refs a bit better, they know the players on other teams (that are sometimes vets, too) better and how they play. A man like Jose, Barbosa and Reggie can tell you how to guard the All-Star players a bit better than a Rook' who's guessing and trying to figure it out. The vets know the tricks other veteran players do to get calls, too, and THAT is key when playing the likes of Pierce, Kobe, Stephen Jackson, Wade, LBJ and others that will hook your arm while doing a lay-up or shot, thus, getting the call because it looked like a foul. I've seen that MANY times, over the years, to rookies and sophs and I've seen them lose courage during a game because of it. It's called Mental Toughness. A roster full of rooks and sophs, will not succeed if they don't have that. It could take years for a whole team to develop that. Especially, if EVERY year we blow up our roster. Jus sayin.
      The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
      Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
      www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
      http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
      http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

It's nice to hear a player say they want to stay in toronto but c'mon guys. He's not that good.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
          Keeping Reggie makes little to no sense unless he can be signed for cheap and used primarily as a practice player to teach / toughen up the young bigs. Reggie Evans is, at best, a 3rd or 4th big on a playoff team. His lack of offense would ruin any team that would play him significant minutes in a 7-game series.

I love his hustle and his heart, but signing him to a 4-year contract at this stage of his career would be a mistake.
          Sorry but you don't make much sense....Reggie Evans in a 7 game series would kill the opposing PF! Imagine having to battle with Reggie for 7 games!!! and seriously, a practice player??? get outta here...come on man the dude is one of the best rebounders in the game right now!! he plays good D, and wears out the opposing player...practice player...you're retarded

Oh and one last thing....3rd or 4th big on a playoff team?....pretty sure he would be the starting PF on Orlando, or Atlanta(move Smith back to SF), or Miami (move bosh to the 5), and I'm sure there are others....Not all playoff teams have 5 all-stars! some actually don't have a good PF!
          Last edited by Scarsville; Fri Mar 25, 2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

of course he does, its going to be impossible for him to find another job after the lockout, what team wants a guy who is just a rebounder

Comment

For a veteran contract (2M or less) I'll keep him. He is important in the locker room for the younger
              Let's go Raptors!

Comment

Scarsville wrote: View Post
                Sorry but you don't make much sense....Reggie Evans in a 7 game series would kill the opposing PF! Imagine having to battle with Reggie for 7 games!!! and seriously, a practice player??? get outta here...come on man the dude is one of the best rebounders in the game right now!! he plays good D, and wears out the opposing player...practice player...you're retarded
                Evans' last playoff series (08/09) - MPG: 7.2; FG: .222; RPG: 2.0; PPG: 1.4. Dude couldn't even get off the bench.

Ed Davis, next year, will be a much better player than Evans - I could make a case he's already better. Amir is a much better player. In any case, it isn't a big deal - if you want Evans you'll get him for whatever the vet minimum is next year.

Comment

As a 4th or 5th big, the best rebounder in the game, the most favourite locker room player and the toughest player on the squad. Where do I sign-up?
                  -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                  -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

[QUOTE=slaw;72973]Evans' last playoff series (08/09) - MPG: 7.2; FG: .222; RPG: 2.0; PPG: 1.4. Dude couldn't even get off the bench.[QOUTE]

How are these stats even relevant? That was 3 years ago man and you know that he wasn't being used correctly in Philly. Toronto tells him to go out there , focus on playing D and rebounding. Philly just saw his lack of offense and simply didn't play him.

Comment

I'm not retarded, just realistic. Rebounding is only one aspect of the game, and while it's an important aspect, one dimensional players kill teams. I'd value him as a practice player/mentor exactly because he brings the qualities you mention; toughness, energy, work ethic. He does NOT play good D though. He plays hard, but he's usually out of position and isn't effective as a help defender. Sorry, but you're wearing rose coloured glasses on this one.

Oh and one last thing....3rd or 4th big on a playoff team?....pretty sure he would be the starting PF on Orlando, or Atlanta(move Smith back to SF), or Miami (move bosh to the 5), and I'm sure there are others....Not all playoff teams have 5 all-stars! some actually don't have a good PF!
                      And I stand by my claim that he'd kill his team in a seven game series. No amount of rebounds can make up for the fact that opposing defenses would funnel the ball to Reggie and force him to make plays. Good luck winning a series that way. There's a reason Orlando likes stretch 4s around Dwight Howard instead of giving Bass heavy minutes. There's a reason the Heat don't play Joel Anthony 40 minutes a game despite providing FAR better defense than Evans. As for Atlanta, Reggie at the 4 would mean Smith would have to go back to jacking up shots from distance to spread the floor. Remember how that was working out for Atlanta?

One dimensional players hurt their teams in the playoffs, plain and simple.

Comment

bahahaha!!! please stop! The guy is a good rebounder and suddenly he's an integral part of a playoff team? Go watch more basketball

He's at best the first big off the bench on SOME play off teams.
                        Last edited by nubreed000; Fri Mar 25, 2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                          bahahaha!!! please stop! The guy is a good rebounder and suddenly he's an integral part of a playoff team? Go watch more basketball

He's at best the first big off the bench on SOME play off teams.
                          So he's a good first big off the bench for some playoff teams, but we do not have a spot for him? That makes no sense. No one here has been advocating he starts. But 16-20 minutes. Large boards and steals. Presence. And high energy.
                          “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

I wish I was half the man Reggie is.

So should you.
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
                              One dimensional players hurt their teams in the playoffs, plain and simple.
                              Who was the starting PF for the last 3 bulls titles? All he could do is rebound and play defense.
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Do you really believe Reggie would start ahead of Brendan Bass and Anderson on the Magic (remember they have Howard for rebounding) or Josh Smith or Horford (who wants to be moved to pf)? What anyone suggesting Reggie should be a starter would want the team to essentially play a 4 man team on offense while it also plays 4 men on defense with Bargnani. Doesnt make sense to me...if you want this to be an improving team.

Reggie is a ferocious rebounder with a lot of intangibles like heart and toughness and mentoring skills but is quite limited (nevermind he has been injured a lot the last 2 yrs.) in other bb skills. A good guy to have around.

Comment

Working...
                                X