Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo Looking To Hire An Established GM?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo Looking To Hire An Established GM?

The Raptors are in the market for a new executive.

The only catch, and it’s a doozy, is that experience is required — serious experience. While Bryan Colangelo, the Toronto president and general manager, said the title and role of his new hire is yet to be determined, he acknowledged the ongoing reorganization of his front office could even involve bestowing his GM title on someone else.

“I’m thinking about bringing in a high-level basketball person to strengthen our management team,” Colangelo said. “If I brought someone in and a GM title was part of it, it would be a fairly high-calibre person, probably someone with GM credentials already to their name. It’s all in development right now ... I could bring in one, I could bring in several new people.”

Colangelo was speaking on Thursday after CBSSports.com reported that the Raptors were seeking a replacement for Maurizio Gherardini, the vice president of basketball operations whose contract expires June 30. Colangelo disputed the report, saying that while he has yet to address Gherardini’s future — “I’d like to have (Gherardini) back,” he said — the search for new blood isn’t a push to fill a soon-to-be-empty office.

The idea is to bolster an executive team that remains a man short since the August departure of assistant general manager Masai Ujiri, who left to become GM of the Denver Nuggets. Ujiri, who has since impressed with his deft unloading of Carmelo Anthony, was seen by club insiders as a skilled talent evaluator whose contributions are missed.
    Source: The Star

This is pretty fantastic idea actually. I really like this.
    Anything to bring more brain into the mix is a good thing.

With BC as President, and maintaining that title, I'd be more willing to look at a guy like Kevin Pritchard.
    Still not a fan of the guy, but you know his name is going to come up at least 23 times in this thread.

Comment

I think this provides an opportunity to take a chance on a guy in a well established program.

Comment

I was thinking about Cho (who was let go in Portland) and whether he might be a good hire here and this popped up today. Dont know too much about Cho other than he came from the Spurs org. and did fine I thought in Portland especially the Wallace acquisition for pretty much expendables and low numbered picks with the team doing well.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          I was thinking about Cho (who was let go in Portland) and whether he might be a good hire here and this popped up today. Dont know too much about Cho other than he came from the Spurs org. and did fine I thought in Portland especially the Wallace acquisition for pretty much expendables and low numbered picks with the team doing well.
          Great point. He's on the rebound. (no basketball pun intended)

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Great point. He's on the rebound. (no basketball pun intended)
            It's funny, that Portland franchise. First, Cho wanted Roy suspended for complaining about his playing time. Then, the franchise axes him and now, they're trying to convince Roy to retire for cap space purposes. What a weird franchise. Personally, I like Cho. He's a Sabermetrics guy and was Presti's assistant in OKC. I think he clashed with the owner too much. The owner is weird anyway.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

what is the most probable to happen? getting a new coach or new gm

Comment

HuskyRaptor wrote: View Post
                what is the most probable to happen? getting a new coach or new gm
                See this is interesting, because I guess it does start the whole "who's our next GM" talk again.

Well BC sounded more commited to hiring a new GM-type than he has ever been about replacing Triano. So my guess is new management. Which I'm fine with. I respect Triano enough to see why they would want to keep him.

Comment

If he brought in a GM what would happen in the case of a disagreement on a trade etc?

Comment

j bean wrote: View Post
                    If he brought in a GM what would happen in the case of a disagreement on a trade etc?
                    I would imagine the same thing that happens everywhere else in the world, the subordinante gives in to his superior or the subordinante starts looking for a new job.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      See this is interesting, because I guess it does start the whole "who's our next GM" talk again.

Well BC sounded more commited to hiring a new GM-type than he has ever been about replacing Triano. So my guess is new management. Which I'm fine with. I respect Triano enough to see why they would want to keep him.
                      Or, he gets in a new gm and have him choose the new coach or retain JT.

Comment

I've heard nothing but good things about Cho. Apparently he just didn't mesh well with Allen, the owner. Not many do.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

lol watch its going to be Gheradini.

Comment

I could see Jay being brought up to this position if they can convince the likes of Adelman to coach the team.

Comment

Kevin Pritchard, please.
                              You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X