2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maleko wrote: View Post
    Minny wants to unload their pick because they do not want more young players (as they have stated repeatedly) having stockpiled young talent over the last few years, so they would not be looking for the #5 in return. They have also said they expect Rubio to come over for next season, potentially signing by the end of this month, and that they want a vet PG in return for their pick. This is not rumour, they said this directly.
    As a rumour to follow that up, Calderon has been mentioned as a potential vet PG to mentor Rubio, speaks spanish, has connections to Minny management, and of course Rubio from the national team. He would help with the culture shock of coming to the US as well. The rumours are not so out to lunch as some would have you believe.

I couldn't agree with you more; The Wolves don't want to get younger, they need a vet PG, and I've also read that they want to upgrade their frontcourt (Bargnani).
    If the Raps could shed the contracts of Caldy and Bargs, plus pick up a good young PG in Flynn and the #2 pick, that would definetly change the culture of the team. Bring in 2 defensive-minded players (Kantor/Biyumbo/Willams/Faried/Leonard) and pairing them with Amir/Davis/Bayless/JJ would be a tough young core for the future.
    This is not a trade that could happen, this is a trade that should happen.

Comment

• But thats the one problem, is making the assumption that they agree adding Bargnani is 'improving' their front-court.

Comment

• I agree MIN's pick is definitely there for the taking. Calderon has to be seen as a pretty decent option for MIN, all things considered. Whether or not he's a better option than what other teams might be offering, I couldn't say.

I do, though, think that Flynn shouldn't be the target, I think it should be Ridnour. Think about it: if the Wolves want Rubio, and also want Calderon to mentor him, etc..., then it makes no sense to also keep Ridnour. His contract is both larger and more expensive than is Flynn's, and I just can't see Ridnour being happy as a 3rd string. Flynn is still a prospect - one who was injured most of last season. That's a much better option as your 3rd string PG. Ridnour would be a great option for TO to back up Bayless. He's a sharpshooter from deep (last season shot 44%) and is a quality vet.

Only problem here is that it would be difficult to argue that Calderon for Ridnour isn't a fair deal in itself, especially considering the cost of Calderon's contract vs. that of Ridnour (Calderon's is a year shorter, but is more than twice as expensive). That is, it would be hard to argue that MIN ALSO give up its pick in such a deal.

EDIT: Unless, of course, the 'Wolves packaged Ridnour AND Flynn for Calderon. Then I could see some movement for their pick. In this case, Ridnour, Flynn and the 2nd pick for Calderon and the 5th pick. This gives them Calderon and clears their PG logjam without damaging their cap space. You might say it's unbalanced, and the Raps come out the bigger winners here, but it gives the Wolves something intangible: a clearer rebuilding direction. Now, definitively, it's Rubio at the point, and they go full on towards ensuring his development. The 'Wolves franchise above all else needs direction, and this gives them a semblance of such.
        Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Wed May 18, 2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
          Yes, he has size, he's clutch, he's athletic and he's only 19. He needs to improve his passing but I think with his clutch shooting and scoring ability he can turn into a franchise player.
          A PG that needs to learn how to pass and run an offense. That doesn't sound so bad. Next we can draft a center who needs to learn how to rebound and play defense. Oh, wait...
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            But thats the one problem, is making the assumption that they agree adding Bargnani is 'improving' their front-court.
            You forget, we'll be dealing with David Kahn. We can sell him on Bargs.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              But thats the one problem, is making the assumption that they agree adding Bargnani is 'improving' their front-court.
              ...A Bargnani-Love-Beasley frontcourt would literally be the worst defensive frontcourt of all time.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                A PG that needs to learn how to pass and run an offense. That doesn't sound so bad. Next we can draft a center who needs to learn how to rebound and play defense. Oh, wait...
                I think Tim you are focusing on the wrong part of Knight's game, or perhaps not seeing where he does have good value: as 6th man combo guard. A Bayless-Derozan-Knight rotation is solid (Bayless/Derozan, Knight/Derozan, Bayless/Knight), particularly as you can go small with Bayless, Knight and Derozan at the 1, 2 and 3 and still keep a good balance on the floor.

If you've got Knight, basically he's a Barbosa replacement, with the following differences: he's cheaper and younger, and in place of Barbosa's speed you've got Knight's defense. Knight's also a much better shooter. But both are 1/2 hybrids that are better as scorers than they are as a pure point.

I wouldn't mind actually drafting Knight at 5 as it allows the Raps to move Barbosa for a better piece. He's a better compliment to Bayless than Barbosa is, given the different look he brings (shooting, defense). Barbosa and Bayless are too similar to effectively play next to each other.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  He's not a terrible passer or a good passer. If we draft him it'd be on the principle that he has all the physical tool and will develop. Worst case scenario we could always stick him at SG as he's a very good shooter.

Comment

• WhatWhat wrote: View Post
                    ...A Bargnani-Love-Beasley frontcourt would literally be the worst defensive frontcourt of all time.
                    Without question. I can't think of 3 worse players to group together to "protect" the paint.

Comment

• WhatWhat wrote: View Post
                      I agree, but I think that Kahn, who wants to run a fast-paced team, is going to favor offense over defense, and we can sell him on Bargs' ability to run with Rubio and take passes from Love.

Also, if I were Minny, I would start Darko and Love, and have Bargs be the first big off the bench, a guy who can play with either of those forwards.

Comment

• When rose came out of school he wasn't known for being a very good passer...
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• He still isn't, really.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• jk1m wrote: View Post
                            Would it work on paper if we trade Bargnani + Calderon + TPE for Flynn + 2nd Pick???
                            Only on rolling papers....

But seriously, The Raptors have one of the most difficult off-seasons in the NBA ahead of them. The majority of the team is on the block. The pg position, centre position and small forward position are completely uncertain. Derozan, Ed and Amir seem to be the only certainties on the roster and I think BC would trade any of them under the right circumstances (though I'd ask for his head if it's DD). The draft is a complete crapshoot. I love Kanter's toughness and versatility, but his athleticism is a big question mark on this team as it is currently built. Kemba has heart, but is way undersized. Knight showed promise..... as a chucker. Vesely is a terrific slasher, but has a tonne of development to do before he can become a valid rotation player.

I can't even fathom where BC and the gang go with this draft. My big focus is on FA this year. A lot of people want Gasol, and I completely agree with that pipe dream. I would love to see DeAndre Jordan. He is on his way up, a great shot blocker with major hops and a developing touch around the rim. I see him fitting very well with our current roster. I can see him being a Tyson Chandler type, a guy we all wish that we had last year. He is an RFA, so it may be the same situation presented with Gasol. At SF, I might take a flyer, at the right price, on Josh Howard. Though injured for the past few seasons, he doesn't have a lot of recent mileage and has shown the toughness and grit that a lot of our players (cough, cough, Derozan, cough) could get in their game to get to the next level.

Tough times in RapsLand, tough times indeed.

Comment

• Getting 5th really sucks. The Raptors really need a center, and outside of Kanter I don't see one at least in this years draft (I really don't like Valanciunas). 2012 is even worst. I really don't see the Raptors acquiring a good center via FA or through trades. There just aren't too many. For a young team this is the perfect opportunity for them to draft and mold a center for the future.

So I think the number one priority for BC should be to try and swap the 5th pick with Minnesota's 2nd pick or Cleveland's 4th (which seems unlikely) and choose Kanter.

Walker and Knight are good, but not great. If the rumors are still true, and Minnesota wants to trade Flynn for Calderon then we don't need Walker or Knight. I could see Flynn winning an MIP award if he switches teams. I seriously think that the triangle is what has killed his game. Also if Jay comes back, then I think Jay would be a great coach for a PG like Flynn.

Personally I feel that if we can't get Kanter then we are going to be keeping Bargnani for another year.

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                                I think Tim you are focusing on the wrong part of Knight's game, or perhaps not seeing where he does have good value: as 6th man combo guard. A Bayless-Derozan-Knight rotation is solid (Bayless/Derozan, Knight/Derozan, Bayless/Knight), particularly as you can go small with Bayless, Knight and Derozan at the 1, 2 and 3 and still keep a good balance on the floor.

If you've got Knight, basically he's a Barbosa replacement, with the following differences: he's cheaper and younger, and in place of Barbosa's speed you've got Knight's defense. Knight's also a much better shooter. But both are 1/2 hybrids that are better as scorers than they are as a pure point.

I wouldn't mind actually drafting Knight at 5 as it allows the Raps to move Barbosa for a better piece. He's a better compliment to Bayless than Barbosa is, given the different look he brings (shooting, defense). Barbosa and Bayless are too similar to effectively play next to each other.
                                The Raptors won 22 games and have very little starting level talent. You think they should be drafting a combo guard whose future is as a 6th man with the 5th pick?

And a DeRozan-Bayless-Knight backcourt is one without a player that has any idea of how to run an offense. That doesn't excite me at all.

This reminds me of the argument over Avery Bradley, last year. It's not that I didn't like him as a player. It's that I didn't like him as a lottery pick. Brandon Knight might end up being a good rotation player, but at 5, I'd want to aim a little higher than that, and I see his game as too flawed to be that guy.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X