No announcement yet.

Is Iverson in Toronto a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say yes, for sure. I mean why not? Are we really going to compete this year? Giving Iverson a chance in Toronto would be nice to watch, hey, it's still Allen Iverson, a.k.a. The Answer, a.k.a. Bubba Chuck! Even if he's old, bad, even if he got 2 broken legs, I don't care. I'm all for it. Let's give it a try!

Comment

er1csh3n wrote: View Post
      Since when has anyone thought rationally, and if its a joke to you, other people will treat it as a joke, but they still vote for the player they like, scrub or no scrub.
      When Yi almost starts for the All-Star team, there's something wrong with either the voters, the voting or both. I respect the game far too much to vote for some scrub who doesn't deserve to be there.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
        I'd say yes, for sure. I mean why not? Are we really going to compete this year? Giving Iverson a chance in Toronto would be nice to watch, hey, it's still Allen Iverson, a.k.a. The Answer, a.k.a. Bubba Chuck! Even if he's old, bad, even if he got 2 broken legs, I don't care. I'm all for it. Let's give it a try!
        Hell, why not give Marbury a call, as well. And bring in Derrick Coleman! Screw good role models and playing time for the young players. Right on!
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

anybody who's for this should have their basketball viewing rights revoked.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            Hell, why not give Marbury a call, as well. And bring in Derrick Coleman! Screw good role models and playing time for the young players. Right on!
            You are so right! Hey, it's Iverson, not Marbury or Coleman. I think it's a level ahead, not you? Screw playing time? Do you think he'd play a whole lot of minutes? Uh, me neither. Fifth guard option off the bench, not more. But hey, AI. No Starbury.

Comment

You are so right! Hey, it's Iverson, not Marbury or Coleman. I think it's a level ahead, not you? Screw playing time? Do you think he'd play a whole lot of minutes? Uh, me neither. Fifth guard option off the bench, not more. But hey, AI. No Starbury.
              If he's going to be the fifth guard, and thus play less than 20 mpg, then what exactly would be the point of signing him? Would he be playing less than 20 mpg? History suggests he wouldn't. So you're signing a volume scorer who's never shot well, and who's never shown to be mature, and who's past his prime.

My point is that Iverson, Coleman and Marbury all had All-World talent, but for various reasons, are definitely NOT guys you want hanging around young developing players. Unless you want them to learn how not to behave professionally.
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

My point is, I think Iverson could be as good in a bench role as any of our possible options. As for the hanging with the guys fact, look at the Grizzlies or Sixers lastly, I don't think that his presence has been that much bad for them. In fact, Iverson can't be worst than he was two years ago in the maturity category. And just to have the presence of a guy like him in a gym (heart player, can't argue with this fact, hall of famer caliber player, multiple all-star, great scorer, basketball icon, etc...) could be really positive for this team, for this franchise and could be fun to watch for the fans too. He would sell some jerseys and tickets too, for sure.

Comment

My point is, I think Iverson could be as good in a bench role as any of our possible options. As for the hanging with the guys fact, look at the Grizzlies or Sixers lastly, I don't think that his presence has been that much bad for them. In fact, Iverson can't be worst than he was two years ago in the maturity category. And just to have the presence of a guy like him in a gym (heart player, can't argue with this fact, hall of famer caliber player, multiple all-star, great scorer, basketball icon, etc...) could be really positive for this team, for this franchise and could be fun to watch for the fans too. He would sell some jerseys and tickets too, for sure.
                  He lasted 3 games in Memphis, complained about his role and left. Then he lasted 25 games in Philly before leaving for "personal reasons". Then no other team wanted to touch him. Great. That's what you bring up in defense of signing him?

More to the point, though, what exactly would BE the point of signing him. He's not exactly mentor material and the Raptors HAD a Hall of Fame player the players could look up to in Alex English. Didn't seem to help much, did it? You think his presence alone is going to do anything? You want them to see someone with heart, hire the guy from Rudy. At least he also worked hard in practice!

The problem is that no matter what happens, it's not good. If he regains some of his form and keeps his head on straight, he'll win a few more games for the team, which at this point actually hurts them. Plus, he would take playing time and shots away from players who the team needs to develop. And it's not as if he'd be in the long term plans of the team, anyway. If he doesn't regain his form, he'll sit on the bench and probably sulk and create a bad atmosphere.

No thanks. Not for the gamble of selling a few more tickets and jerseys. That's the kind of thing badly managed teams do.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    When Yi almost starts for the All-Star team, there's something wrong with either the voters, the voting or both. I respect the game far too much to vote for some scrub who doesn't deserve to be there.
                    Regardless of the sport, I've always hated wide open fan voting for all-star players. Even when you listen to 'experts' and sportscasters, they almost always give credit to players for the quality of their career, not just for the current season... which is what each annual all-star game is supposed to reward.

For me, I think there should be certain criteria which gets used to filter the options available for fans to vote for. Some of my criteria would be:
                    - minimum # of games played (no injured player being voted in on reputation alone)
                    - ranked in top half of relevant statitiscal category at the position played, with mimimum games/minutes played qualifier... ie: top half of conference in PPG for SG or top half of conference in ASG for PG (to reward good play in the current season alone, not big name players having horrendous season or in twilight of their career)

Comment

Working...
                    X