Will Yao Hit the Market This Summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Yao Hit the Market This Summer?

Though it has long been assumed Rockets center Yao Ming's foot injury and extensive surgery would prevent him from opting out of his contract after this season, Yao said Saturday he was “not sure” if the uncertainty with the NBA's labor negotiations would lead him to become a free agent this summer.

Yao, 29, said he has not considered his options, but was noncommittal about whether he might opt out of his contract.

“I'm sure I'm not sure until after we discuss (it),” Yao said. “We have not started (to) discuss it yet, so I'm not sure, either way. I have to talk to my agent first before we start to decide where I need to go. If you ask my agent, he will say, ‘I have to ask Yao and we will start discussing it.'”

Yao's agent, John Huizinga, had no comment.

If Yao does not jump into the deep pool of 2010 free-agent talent, he is due to earn $17.7 million next season in the final year of his contract. The next collective bargaining agreement is expected to reduce the number of years and value of a maximum contract, making a contract signed this offseason potentially worth more than one signed in 2011.

But Yao is not expected to choose to become a free agent before making his comeback from his surgery or to seek to leave Houston.

But if the new collective bargaining agreement was to lead to a decision to become a free agent this summer, it could alter the Rockets' strategies this summer by unexpectedly moving the Rockets under the salary cap with a right to retain Yao by exceeding the cap.
    Houston Chronicle

If the Rockets wanted Bosh and they were offering up Yao, would the Raptors do a double S&T with the Rockets?

Pros:
    Yao paired with Bargnani would eat up all the paint on defense and on offense the Raptors would have strong back to the bucket post presence. Bargnani would shift to PF where he may be more naturally suited given his talents. A guy like Turkoglu would probably work better with Yao as they could run some of the stuff he saw in Orlando. Calderon and Jack both seem better suited to the half court and half court would be a must with Yao in the picture.

Cons:
    Health is a major issue with Yao. He wouldn't be a max money guy if he hit the market. The Raptors would be taking a large gamble in betting all their chips on Yao fully recovering. He is only 29 though so there's hope. Beyond that, the coach would have to revamp the play books and move completely to a half court system. It would be a change in philosophy for Colangelo. Yao may be a little too old for a complete ground up rebuild project so this would have to be a rebuild on the fly. Those sorts of things can go two ways, see the Knicks from 2002-present and the 2008 Celtics.
    Last edited by Apollo; Mon Mar 29, 2010, 09:47 AM.

There is another pro...bargnani could be an all-star....lol thanks to chinese fans...lol

anyways...if yao is in the market we get him for
    Chris Bosh and Turk for Yao, Battier and Jordan Hill

Comment

I don't think (1) Houston will part with a cash cow like Yao Ming (2) that Yao will opt out this summer (3) that Houston will take bad contracts back in addition to giving up Yao for Bosh.

That said, if this situation did happen, then yes, I would be happy to take back Yao Ming in a Chris Bosh sign and trade. Yao carries a huge injury risk but he is also a legitimate All-NBA talent and the Raptors are overwhelmingly unlikely to be offered any player/prospect that comes anywhere close to talent level. And since the Raps would have to rebuild otherwise, I'd be happy taking a punt on Yao's health.

If the Raptors did acquire Yao for Bosh, I would still like the Raptors to get rid of Bargnani + I'd be more inclined to dumping Turkoglu + more inclined to keeping Jose Calderon. Finding a legitimate second scoring option, preferably on the wing, would be the Raptors first priority. The second priority would be finding athletic defensive minded players to put around Yao to make up for his lack of quickness/mobility.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

I think Battier is the kind of player where his own team values him more than what his "market value" would be. He's such a great defender, leader and teammate. Landing him would be a big time step in the right direction. Keep in mind the Rockets traded the rights to Gay to get him. Not sure they would be willing to move him for that. I would be very happy with that deal though.

Dave wrote: View Post
        I don't think (1) Houston will part with a cash cow like Yao Ming (2) that Yao will opt out this summer (3) that Houston will take bad contracts back in addition to giving up Yao for Bosh.
        Letting Yao walk would hurt. They get cap but they would not be maximizing their assets. A S&T gives them access to the MLE and BAE. I think there is much more potential for him to hit the market than you think. What he gets out of free agency could be a lot more than what he can get after the players get hosed in the CBA renegotiation. No doubt he would have to take a pay cut next year if he chose to go that way but long term we're talking six years guaranteed as opposed to maybe three year not guaranteed(based on articles about what the owners will be pushing for) and a much lower per year salary.
        Last edited by Apollo; Mon Mar 29, 2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Hedo Turkoglu worked well in Orlando because (1) he had the ball in his hands for a large portion of the game, and, (2) was given full freedom as a playmaker and scorer.

The reason he was allowed to have so much of the basketball was because Dwight Howard had a limited offensive repertoire + Rashard Lewis doesn't have a go-to scorers mentality + Jameer Nelson is a scoring PG ... which left plenty of touches/shots for Turkoglu ... and the reason he had the freedom was because of his Head Coach Stan Van Gundy.

Those are the principal causes for Hedo Turkoglu's success in Orlando and his lack of success in Toronto.
          nbaroundtable

Comment

I think there's more to it than that. He doesn't work hard here. Having the ball in your hands has nothing to do with defense or moving on offense or hitting open shots or selecting good shots. When he's had the ball he's not been better this season.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I think there's more to it than that. He doesn't work hard here. Having the ball in your hands has nothing to do with defense or moving on offense or hitting open shots or selecting good shots. When he's had the ball he's not been better this season.
              Shot selection = same as it ever was

Scoring efficiency = right at his career average

Defense = Hedo only plays committed defense for coaches that demand it from him and Triano doesn't. Same throughout his entire career. Change the coach, change the result. Even then, Hedo is still a lackadaisical defensive player, but he'll do more than he currently is.

Work rate = has always been poor ... that has been the reason for him underperforming most of his career, for posting lousy rebounding numbers for a player of his size, and for him taking multiple defensive possessions off every game throughout his career.

I also disagree with the final sentence, I think Hedo Turkoglu has been just as effective as he was last season when he has been allowed to play his game. That just hasn't happened regularly enough. Neither Jack or Calderon are allowing him to be the lead playmaker.

Also, Triano should be using Turkoglu alongside the second unit early in the second and fourth quarters allowing Turk to be the main offensive threat on the floor for the Raptors for several minutes. SVG did to great effect while Hedo was in Orlando. It ensured that even if Hedo went a few minutes without heavy touches that he could regain his rhythm then and therefore ensure that Hedo is in the flow of the game late in the fourth quarter. Not cold. Not suddenly asked to take over after barely seeing the ball for most of the game. And never asked to create in an isolation. He is a playmaker off the pick and roll who's primary value is his passing and not his scoring.

I fully believe the reasons for Hedo Turkoglu's decline in performance are role-related.
              Last edited by Dave; Mon Mar 29, 2010, 11:42 AM.
              nbaroundtable

Comment

can we keep bosh and get Yao?

Comment

yao cant come here. heres why.

he will no doubt, be miscast into a spot up shooter who rarely sees the ball.
                  when he passes to a wide open wing, the player will make the shot at a 15% rate.
                  he will be benched in favor of crap players.
                  his teammates will ignore him and act as if he doesnt exist.
                  he will be ripped unmercifully by fans and mediots alike.
                  when he plays well, no credit will be given.
                  when he is sick, fans and mediots will create conspiracies.
                  when he goes out to eat, his every move will be reported to colangelo and he will be disciplined unjustly.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                    Shot selection = same as it ever was

Scoring efficiency = right at his career average

Defense = Hedo only plays committed defense for coaches that demand it from him and Triano doesn't. Same throughout his entire career. Change the coach, change the result. Even then, Hedo is still a lackadaisical defensive player, but he'll do more than he currently is.

Work rate = has always been poor ... that has been the reason for him underperforming most of his career, for posting lousy rebounding numbers for a player of his size, and for him taking multiple defensive possessions off every game throughout his career.

I also disagree with the final sentence, I think Hedo Turkoglu has been just as effective as he was last season when he has been allowed to play his game. That just hasn't happened regularly enough. Neither Jack or Calderon are allowing him to be the lead playmaker.

Also, Triano should be using Turkoglu alongside the second unit early in the second and fourth quarters allowing Turk to be the main offensive threat on the floor for the Raptors for several minutes. SVG did to great effect while Hedo was in Orlando. It ensured that even if Hedo went a few minutes without heavy touches that he could regain his rhythm then and therefore ensure that Hedo is in the flow of the game late in the fourth quarter. Not cold. Not suddenly asked to take over after barely seeing the ball for most of the game. And never asked to create in an isolation. He is a playmaker off the pick and roll who's primary value is his passing and not his scoring.

I fully believe the reasons for Hedo Turkoglu's decline in performance are role-related.
                    common sense? kudos good sir.

Comment

Raffy15 wrote: View Post

he will no doubt, be miscast into a spot up shooter who rarely sees the ball.
                      when he passes to a wide open wing, the player will make the shot at a 15% rate.
                      he will be benched in favor of crap players.
                      his teammates will ignore him and act as if he doesnt exist.
                      when he plays well, no credit will be given.
                      when he is sick, fans and mediots will create conspiracies.
                      when he goes out to eat, his every move will be reported to colangelo and he will be disciplined unjustly.
                      Raffy, if they traded for Yao I think it's safe to assume that the offensive scheme would be changed to center on him and that would be drilled daily in practices and team meetings. They would get him the ball. It's a matter of getting the guys to get it into him and when he kicks it out to re-set, getting it back to him for a second chance if need be.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Raffy, if they traded for Yao I think it's safe to assume that the offensive scheme would be changed to center on him and that would be drilled daily in practices and team meetings. They would get him the ball. It's a matter of getting the guys to get it into him and when he kicks it out to re-set, getting it back to him for a second chance if need be.
                        with bosh, bagnani, and calderon on the team? not happening. yao wouldnt have nearly enough time and space to be consistently great. sounds like someone thats on the team right now.

Comment

Raffy15 wrote: View Post

He doesn't care.
                          The Chinese community here is probably the best of its kind outside China. They'll support him no matter what.

EDIT: Bosh also doesn't want to return to Texas.
                          http://www.hoopsnotes.com/2009/11/no...or-chris-bosh/
                          Last edited by Prime; Mon Mar 29, 2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X