No announcement yet.

Calderon's Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derrick Rose scores 18 points per game by taking 16.5 field goal attempts + 3.7 free throws (TS% of 49.7%). Jose Calderon scores 11.7 points per game by taking 8.8 field goals and 2 free throws. So, by taking 7.7 shot attempts + 1.7 free throw attempts more than Calderon ... Derrick Rose scores an additional 6.3 points. 7.7 FGA + 1.7 FTA for 6.3 points? That's lousy.

Derrick Rose is a terrific prospect who has the potential to be a top five point guard in the NBA in the near future but in terms of current ability he simply isn't a high quality player. He is a fairly mediocre player overall (average defender, average rebounder, below average passer relative to his position, and a decent scorer) who is a below average starting point guard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of my list ... I'd consider Devin Harris and Monta Ellis as debatable choices.

Devin Harris more so than Monta because he's shown the capacity to be a very good scorer + very good defender, although not at the same time, nevermind that, he's clearly capable of producing both --Monta hasn't shown anywhere near as much defensive ability, but, to a lesser degree, has shown more rebounding ability.

Side Note: Monta Ellis is almost as inefficient a scorer as Derrick Rose is. His 25.5 points per game come on 21.6 shots + 6.6 FTs (TS% of 52%) + a gargantuan 4.3 turnovers.

Anyway, I rated them lower than Calderon because I don't think they put their teammates in a position to succeed offensively which I view as the primary responsibility of a point guard. I think they're below average at that while I'd rate Calderon as very good.
    nbaroundtable

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
      I am unconvinced that he's as good as people make him out to be, I think he's a system-guy and needs good defensive players around him and an offense which uses his limited skill accordingly. The triangle would be perfect.
      I think the Triangle offense would be a poor fit for Jose. It would turn him into Steve Blake. He'll still be a good player and have a solid impact on the game but I think it limits him. The Triangle doesn't give the point guard enough responsibilities as a floor general which is Jose's best talent.

I think Jerry Sloan's + Gregg Popovich's + Flip Saunders' + Larry Brown's offenses would all be ideal fits for Jose Calderon. They all run heavily structured offenses which allow the point guard to make a large amount of the team's decisions offensively (the main difference between them and the Triangle as Jose is concerned).

That's the type of offensive system that I think Jose would do best in.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
        I think the Triangle offense would be a poor fit for Jose. It would turn him into Steve Blake. He'll still be a good player and have a solid impact on the game but I think it limits him. The Triangle doesn't give the point guard enough responsibilities as a floor general which is Jose's best talent.
        I think Steve Blake sounds about right.

Comment

Scoring efficiently is only a part of player efficiency. PER is a better measure of overall efficiency. This season Jose's PER is 18.2, and he allows his opponent 23.6, making his net PER -5.4. Derrick Rose's PER is 17.4 but he allows his opponent 15.7 PER, netting +1.7.

You are right about Rose being an average defender and a slightly above average offensive player. And Jose is a more efficient offensive player. But because he is such a shitty defender Rose, Ellis, Harris (and many others) are much better players.
          Last edited by NewRapCity; Sun Jan 3, 2010, 02:56 AM.

Comment

NewRapCity wrote: View Post
            @dave

can i be in your fantasy league?
            What does fantasy value have to do with who you'd want on a real team?
            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

NewRapCity wrote: View Post
              Scoring efficiently is only a part of player efficiency. PER is a better measure of overall efficiency. This season Jose's PER is 18.2, and he allows his opponent 23.6, making his net PER -5.4. Derrick Rose's PER is 17.4 but he allows his opponent 15.7 PER, netting +1.7.

You are right about Rose being an average defender and a slightly above average offensive player. And Jose is a more efficient offensive player. But because he is such a shitty defender Rose, Ellis, Harris (and many others) are much better players.
              Rose is not an effective player this year no matter what the "per" says.
              The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                Rose is not an effective player this year no matter what the "per" says.
                Rose struggled early in the season due to an ankle injury. But he has been turning up the jets recently:

Dec. 29 vs. Indiana: Posted 28 points, five rebounds, six assists and one block in a 104-95 win over the Pacers.

Dec. 31 @ Detroit: Scored 22 points to go along with four rebounds, four assists and two blocks in a 98-87 win over the Pistons.

Jan. 2 vs. Orlando: Tallied 30 points, six rebounds and seven assists in a 101-93 win over the Magic.

It's no coincidence that up until last night the bulls were riding a 3 game win streak.

Comment

Working...
                X