Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo Just Interviewed In The Tunnel By Rod Black

For those not watching the game...

- He struggles with the losing but the young guys are getting a chance to grow.
    - He said they're rebuilding/retooling. He called them one in the same.
    - In the past they built around one player, Chris Bosh but now they're building around a core group of guys.
    - He said that they have no All-star and that hurts. Bargnani is the closest thing they have and it's going to be nice to see DeMar in the rookie/sophomore game.
    - He emphasized the importance of the draft and free agency.
    - He mentioned the flexibility they'll have in the summer. To paraphrase, with the uncertainty of the new CBA, it's great to have the flexibility we have.
    - He then mentioned the trade deadline but did not sound too committed to getting a deal done besides saying he's always proactive on the trade front.

I kind of got the feeling that he's not fond on the idea of moving the TPE or Peja's expiring contract. It sounds like he's focused on:
    A.) Getting the young guys experience this season.
    B.) Using the two 1st rounders to bring in more young talent.
    C.) Use their flexibility in summer free agency
    D.) Maybe get some sort of trade done before the trade deadline but in my opinion, nothing involving the TPE or Peja.

It sounds like a real deal rebuild and he said it was. Sounds like lots more losing to come this season but lots of excitement this summer.

Apollo wrote: View Post
    For those not watching the game...

- He struggles with the losing but the young guys are getting a chance to grow.
    - He said they're rebuilding/retooling. He called them one in the same.
    - In the past they built around one player, Chris Bosh but now they're building around a core group of guys.
    - He said that they have no All-star and that hurts. Bargnani is the closest thing they have and it's going to be nice to see DeMar in the rookie/sophomore game.
    - He emphasized the importance of the draft and free agency.
    - He mentioned the flexibility they'll have in the summer. To paraphrase, with the uncertainty of the new CBA, it's great to have the flexibility we have.
    - He then mentioned the trade deadline but did not sound too committed to getting a deal done besides saying he's always proactive on the trade front.

I kind of got the feeling that he's not fond on the idea of moving the TPE or Peja's expiring contract. It sounds like he's focused on:
    A.) Getting the young guys experience this season.
    B.) Using the two 1st rounders to bring in more young talent.
    C.) Use their flexibility in summer free agency
    D.) Maybe get some sort of trade done before the trade deadline but in my opinion, nothing involving the TPE or Peja.

It sounds like a real deal rebuild and he said it was. Sounds like lots more losing to come this season but lots of excitement this summer.
    I watched it as well. It seems like he covered every possible angle, a true poker player. He is not giving any real indication of anything IMO. After the Charlotte fiasco and watching Melo play out, you can't blame the guy.

Comment

I don't think it's that he doesn't want to make a trade, i think he's just careful what not to say on the air so nothing gets blown out of proportion. He kept all of the options open.

He also mentioned that DeRozan may or may not participate, he doesn't know. He thinks DeRozan deserves it though.

Comment

There's really not too many guys in the FA market I see being a great fit for the Raps and their team as is... I'm hoping he makes a trade before the deadline or around draft time to get a true impact player or two.

As far as his interview, he basically said what he always does... nothing!

Comment

Its not that I dont believe that BC is rebuilding, they obviously are...but there are a couple of things that bug me:

1) How do you explain signing David Anderson and chasing Dampier? How is that consistant with rebuilding? Does that mean he actually came into this season with a plan other than rebuilding?

To a lesser extent signing Kleiza too (though that might be explained by they have a legitimate hole at SF) still that move doesn't sit well wit me. But can someone offer any explanation about the other moves?

2) Also I am 100% POSITIVE I heard Triano say in an interview, when Ed Davis was starting the season "we're not going to play Ed Davis if he's making mistakes out there at the expense of other guys' minutes". The head coach said this!!!!!

I will find the interview if there is a demand to do so....but how do you explain such inconsistancies with the signings/head coach and rebuilding?
          Last edited by Ruuuuu; Fri Jan 14, 2011, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
            Its not that I dont believe that BC is rebuilding, they obviously are...but there are a couple of things that bug me:

1) How do you explain signing David Anderson and chasing Dampier? How is that consistant with rebuilding? Does that mean he actually came into this season with a plan other than rebuilding?

To a lesser extent signing Kleiza too (though that might be explained by they have a legitimate hole at SF) still that move doesn't sit well wit me. But can someone offer any explanation about the other moves?

2) Also I am 100% POSITIVE I heard Triano say in an interview, when Ed Davis was starting the season "we're not going to play Ed Davis if he's making mistakes out there at the expense of other guys' minutes". The head coach said this!!!!!

I will find the interview if there is a demand to do so....but how do you explain such inconsistancies with the signings/head coach and rebuilding?
            I don't see that they are saying anything different. The PFs on this team are all young and need time to shine, Ed is the youngest so he has time to recover from being buried, Amir and Bargs don't. Special Ed is a part of the future for the next 3 years at least. Drea and Amir have to show their value now, either to the Raps going forward or to another team.

You're right about the Kleiza signing, there's a legit hole he needed to patchand at the price LK ain't all bad. I don't know what people expected but he's exactly as advertised: an offensive minded forward who tries to do too much at times, brings some physicality and is a slow footed defender.

David Anderson is a deep bench player, not sure why that matters at all to this topic. Damp was the best available Centre and to be honest, I thought he'd look great in a limited role beside AB. He'd clog the lane and shore up our interior D while clearing space for Drea, DD and Sonny to attack the rim. He wasn't a long term solution and no one was thinking of him as a critical piece but he might've been able to help the current squad grow.

If you ever thought for a nano second that this team was coming into the 10-11 season doing anything other than rebuilding then you must be drinking the kool-aid. This whole season, and likely the next 2 or 3, are all about rebuilding. We've no crippling contracts, some decent young talent and a bunch of upcoming draft picks and cap space, what do you think is going on?
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

we acquired david anderson via a TPE to houston. it saved them some tax implications and they paid most of his salary.

why did we make the move? b/c you can't combine a TPE with players in making a trade. b/c we got david anderson...we were able to pair him with jarret jack to get bayless + wright. if no david anderson, we would still have a $2 mil TPE but can't use it and the bayless deal would not have happened.

Comment

the way I see it is , during the summer BC wasnt rebuilding (that why we tried to get chandler and diaw.) but once that deal fell through "retooling" wsout and "rebuilding" was in.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                  the way I see it is , during the summer BC wasnt rebuilding (that why we tried to get chandler and diaw.) but once that deal fell through "retooling" wsout and "rebuilding" was in.
                  Even if we'd gotten TC and ED we'd still be rebuilding, we'd just have one of 5 spots covered. Do you really think Chandler is taking us to the promised land? If so I have this bridge in Brooklyn for sale you might be interested in.
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Ok if the David Anderson thing was a weird contract thing, then ok accepted

Still dont understand Dampier though. Was this before/after Ed Davis got hurt over the summer?

See I think the way they handle Ed Davis says a lot about the attitude of the organization. Its a classic situation: lottery pick, who is not polished (ie. going to have growing pains), but is pretty much guaranteed to at least be a solid pro if you stick with him.

Raps already had Bargs and AJ signed and guaranteed to play. Reggie was signed and a good bet to regain his old form. Any other big man pushes Davis to 5th in the rotation (thats basically not playing). ie. right now Dorsey is 4th big in the rotation, and he even barely plays.

So even if Dampier would be a "good fit beside Andrea", I dont think you could sign him and say you're having a rebuilding year, when now you're benching your 9th pick.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                      This is what I am kind of getting at.

In the off season, I actually think he was not in rebuild mode.....which is seriously crazy

Comment

Maybe he was trying to do the impossible... rebuild and compete for the playoffs. They do play in the Eastern Conference. = 0

Comment

Chandler had a one year contract and we have a glaring hole in the roster at center at SF. Chandler would allow for them to experiment with Bargnani as a PF with a legitimate center to take his place at the 5. That's probably why they were thinking Dampier too. 1 year contract and nothing in the future.

Diaw would have been the SF but we got Kleiza instead, which was the other glaring hole in the roster.

Just because he's rebuilidng the team doesn't mean he's going to leave gaping holes in the roster. He didn't want to tank the season he wanted to be able to experiment with what he had and give us a temporary experimental phase. Nothing more.

Comment

Let say the Raps had signed Dampier for this season....
                            How many minutes would Ed Davis be getting per game? Thats what does not make sense to me.

Comment

So even if Dampier would be a "good fit beside Andrea", I dont think you could sign him and say you're having a rebuilding year, when now you're benching your 9th pick.
                              **13th pick
                              Let say the Raps had signed Dampier for this season....
                              How many minutes would Ed Davis be getting per game? Thats what does not make sense to me.
                              I don't think if he had gotten Dampier it necessarily puts Davis on the Bench. He'd most likely have gotten the minutes that Dorsey is playing, and step in when Amir is in foul trouble, which tends to happen. The team needs interior defense. If he didn't inquire then everyone would have been flipping over that.
                              At the time Davis was already injured and out for a little while more.
                              But I agree that NOT getting him is best for everyone. Davis is a stud and Dampier is a tool.
                              Last edited by Joey; Sat Jan 15, 2011, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X