What would YOU pay Lowry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Front Loading hurts resigning Paterson. Backloading starting year 3 frees cap space when we need it for Ross, JV and Amir all need to extended next two years. Also cap space increases every year so by back loading his cap hit would be consistently spread out. Also 2017 there will be a new CBA so if Lowry's contract is an albatross we could amnesty his biggest years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Frontloading does not hurt re-signing Patterson. We have his Bird Rights. Same goes for GV, NDC. Your point about the cap increasing with time is just another reason to frontload - that means you are freeing up loads of cap space for down the road.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Personally, I offer 5 years and 50 million, gladly (less, obviously, if negotiations suggest it can be done). Frontloaded for sure. No player or team options.

If he pushes for more per year, I'm trying for a 4 year deal with an unguaranteed 5th year. Say at 11 or 12 M per year (frontloaded, again). I wouldn't go higher than 12M per year.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Cap Space is at a premium next season until Fields and Hayes expire hopefully we can fill out the roster this off season and next. Opening cap space in 3 - 4 years is less important than fill the roster over the next two depending on what timetable you think. I think we should mount a serious championship run over the next 2-3 going into the luxury in year 4 if necessary.

Comment

id offer him whatever he wants

not my money

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            Front Loading hurts resigning Paterson. Backloading starting year 3 frees cap space when we need it for Ross, JV and Amir all need to extended next two years. Also cap space increases every year so by back loading his cap hit would be consistently spread out. Also 2017 there will be a new CBA so if Lowry's contract is an albatross we could amnesty his biggest years.

It would not impact Patterson in the slightest. Raps have bird rights on him

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              50 frontloaded can't be quite as frontloaded as you hope (although it is close). Best you can do is:

45/5 is a little more problematic.

I think you make a good point about frontloading - though it should be noted, that in the 2015 offseason, frontloading his contract versus backloading it costs the team about 1.6 M in cap space. If you take the same approach with Patterson as well, that adds up to over 2 M in cap space. In 2016, when the Durant rumours suggest we would make a big splash, it's moot whether you backload, frontload, or evenly distribute the contract.
              The important part with front loading is that even though the cap hit will be the same in 2016, the cap hits in 2017 and 2018 will be less, leaving more room for Durant's deal (hypothetically obviously).

Comment

If Toronto isn't going after any free agents then they should use any remaining cap space and frontload Lowry and PPat but having the largest cap hit and a mid level cap hit at the same time could allow another mid contract to squeeze in between Raptor could add 28 mil in salary backloaded this season if they had a target otherwise use all the space to Front load Lowry and Patterson

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  50 frontloaded can't be quite as frontloaded as you hope (although it is close). Best you can do is:

45/5 is a little more problematic.

I think you make a good point about frontloading - though it should be noted, that in the 2015 offseason, frontloading his contract versus backloading it costs the team about 1.6 M in cap space. If you take the same approach with Patterson as well, that adds up to over 2 M in cap space. In 2016, when the Durant rumours suggest we would make a big splash, it's moot whether you backload, frontload, or evenly distribute the contract.
                  What I was thinking.

I was looking for the exact percentage on raises but I got lazy when I didn't find it and winged it... close enough! lol

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    I am sure MU is going to do some work on who the competition for Lowry is going to be and work off that. If Lowry feels like being loved and in effect has his own team here he may not go with the richer offer (if there is one).....
                    Realistically, that doesn't happen very often with player sin their prime outside of "sure thing" championship runs. Or vets at the end of their careers looking for a ring.

Comment

My preference would be $20M for 2 years (the Millsap contract). Not going to happen but if he balled out because of a contract year why not create another one in a couple of seasons? That's probably unrealistic though.

It all comes down to market value. I don't think MU will give the BC $55M/5yr contract and I don't think Lowry will settle for $8M a year (although I think that should be his market value).

So somewhere in the middle of $8-10M and hopefully for 3-4 years is what I hope will happen. So something like 4 years / $38M.

Comment

So somewhere in the middle of $8-10M and hopefully for 3-4 years is what I hope will happen. So something like 4 years / $38M.

Agree... I like 3/36 with team option in the 9-10 range for the 4th year

Comment

Oops 3/27, not 36!

Comment

He's worth a max, if we are talking current play.
                            Considering risks, I would give up to 13 mil a year.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                              Realistically, that doesn't happen very often with player sin their prime outside of "sure thing" championship runs. Or vets at the end of their careers looking for a ring.
                              To clarify I really meant a "minimally" richer offer...I am thinking maybe 3-4 mill. over life of contract....and eg Bucks vs Raps choice.

Comment

Someone will offer at least 12-13 M/year.

I could live with 12/year. I mean, how many other point guards in the playoffs would you rather have right now? It's not that long a list. He's out performing a lot of guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X