DeRozan's Long Term Future With Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozan's Long Term Future With Raptors

The newest league proposal to the players got me thinking. Essentially, the League is saying Sign & Trades will no longer be allowed in two years time. DeRozan's contract runs out in two year's time and so his restricted free agency falls within the window. This means he has an out if he wants to take it. That said, how confident do you feel that DeRozan wants to be here long term?
    Yes
    68.75%
    No
    12.50%
    Undecided
    18.75%

The poll is expired.

Good question, but might be tough to answer at this point. If next season (whenever it happens) sees the Raptors make noticeable improvements, and DeRozan develops a strong camaraderie with other up-and-comers on the roster (as well as Coach Casey), we might have a chance of keeping him long term.

Being the cornerstone of a growing team, with your boyz by your side, seems like a good deal to me.

Comment

The 2 years for sign and trades would only affect DeRozan if he chose to sign with a luxury tax team. Sign and trades can still be done with non-tax payers in 2 years.

The benefit for signing with Toronto (or executing a S&T) versus another team would the extra 1 year guarantee and 5.5% raises instead of 3.5%.

As for his future with Toronto, I think it depends on what happens with BC and Casey in 2 years time. The off-season of 2013 is going to be very interesting for the direction of the team.

Personally, I think he stays as he has always discussed his fondness of Toronto. BC will also make a mockery of the nay-sayers with a clean slate starting last summer when Bosh left.

Comment

Players almost always go where they can get the biggest pay check. Guys in their thirties looking for a ring will play for less than max, but not many others. Why would they. They live out of hotels. they get to hang with their buddies during the off-season. One luxury condo is much like another. Trips from the underground parking of their condo to the underground parking of their practice facility mean they are more or less immune to whatever the weather is. They would have to hate their coach and the other players to not want to stay, as long as they are getting max money, and they can mostly start sulking and demand a trade if things get really bad.

Let's not fall into the trap of thinking that they are going to develop some kind of love or loyalty to whoever drafted them. It's a business (and really it's just a game).

Puffer

Comment

I would love for him to stay, but historically, players like him dont stay too long with a team like the Raptors.

i dont know Demar that much but the way i know him through interviews, tweets and FB posts, he seems like a very loyal compton man, so if he doesnt land a spot with the lakers, im pretty sure he'll try to go to a team as close to his hometown as possible. he values family and friendship very much, so the closer he is to home, the better.

Comment

That begs the question: Do you think Demar will be a star or minor star player in two years?

Several Raptors have shown glimpses of their potential but I think it's far too early to worry about whether one of those players will leave in two years before management can assess how likely these glimpses become frequent occurrences in a serviceable future.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
              I would love for him to stay, but historically, players like him dont stay too long with a team like the Raptors.

i dont know Demar that much but the way i know him through interviews, tweets and FB posts, he seems like a very loyal compton man, so if he doesnt land a spot with the lakers, im pretty sure he'll try to go to a team as close to his hometown as possible. he values family and friendship very much, so the closer he is to home, the better.
              The last two stars made it past their rookie deals though.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

lmao i said a few months back demar will be kobe's heir apparent in la and ppl on here dismissed it. Look at my avatar
                "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

I think he'd stick around if only because he's over-valued here. I don't see a significant difference between him and a player like Nick Young, but Toronto treats him like he's the next coming of Vince Carter. I like him (even though his game could use some work) and I'm willing to bet that Colangelo would offer him $1-2M a year over what he could get elsewhere just because the hometown really likes him. Especially with all of the criticism about the lack of roster consistency during Colangelo's tenure, I think making a priority out of keeping DeRozan around would be the management's logical first step in building a true team, rather than a rotating cast.

Comment

deebee wrote: View Post
                    I think he'd stick around if only because he's over-valued here. I don't see a significant difference between him and a player like Nick Young, but Toronto treats him like he's the next coming of Vince Carter. I like him (even though his game could use some work) and I'm willing to bet that Colangelo would offer him $1-2M a year over what he could get elsewhere just because the hometown really likes him. Especially with all of the criticism about the lack of roster consistency during Colangelo's tenure, I think making a priority out of keeping DeRozan around would be the management's logical first step in building a true team, rather than a rotating cast.
                    DeMar is also a very well like and popular player among his peers around the league. I think it is very important to keep him if he continues to show improvement in his game - in particular on the defensive end.

Comment

When the season starts back up, we'll see how DeRozan plays. If he hasn't developed that 3 point shot - even a long range jumpshot, it's time to seriously look at entertaining trade offers for him. I know he's enamoured with the city, but what good is a swingman if he can't hit a long range jump shot to keep defenses honest?

Comment

Based on all reports during the off-season he's put a lot of work into his jumper and it has greatly improved. I personally want to see him become a world class slasher. An team with a guy who can get to the line close to ten times per game is a team who more than likely has an edge on both sides of the court in the dieing minutes once the fouls pile up.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          When the season starts back up, we'll see how DeRozan plays. If he hasn't developed that 3 point shot - even a long range jumpshot, it's time to seriously look at entertaining trade offers for him. I know he's enamoured with the city, but what good is a swingman if he can't hit a long range jump shot to keep defenses honest?
                          YOu mean like Dwyane Wade and Richard Hamilton?

WHile I do think that DeRozan needs to work on extending his range, the notion that he needs to develop a 3 point shot is nonsense. It would certainly be helpful to have a 3 point shot, but to say he needs one I don't agree with at all. As long as he's got enough of a jumper to allow him to slash to the basket without his man sagging off him, that's enough. Whether that jumper is 15 or 20 feet it doesn't matter. You simply space the floor accordingly.

What DeRozan needs to improve the most on is his defense. That should be his number one priority. DeRozan can become an All-Star and help his team win without a 3 point shot. I don't see that happening without become, at least, a decent defender.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            YOu mean like Dwyane Wade and Richard Hamilton?

WHile I do think that DeRozan needs to work on extending his range, the notion that he needs to develop a 3 point shot is nonsense. It would certainly be helpful to have a 3 point shot, but to say he needs one I don't agree with at all. As long as he's got enough of a jumper to allow him to slash to the basket without his man sagging off him, that's enough. Whether that jumper is 15 or 20 feet it doesn't matter. You simply space the floor accordingly.

What DeRozan needs to improve the most on is his defense. That should be his number one priority. DeRozan can become an All-Star and help his team win without a 3 point shot. I don't see that happening without become, at least, a decent defender.
                            Right. Rip might have been a poor example. He's actually a very decent shooter from long distance. Even Wade has shot 36% or better in 4 of his 7 seasons. My point wasn't insomuch that DeRozan needs a 3-point shot, but he needs to increase his range. His shooting has always been suspect. It was in his scouting report from the get-go. Sure, he's got crazy hops and athleticism, but if the kid can't hit a jump shot when his role is essentially a swingman, it's somewhat discouraging. Teams will slag off on his and force him to shoot.

As for him being a good defender, he's got the tools. His athleticism and work ethic should help him to be a better defender.
                            Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Nov 15, 2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                              Right. Rip might have been a poor example. He's actually a very decent shooter from long distance. Even Wade has shot 36% or better in 4 of his 7 seasons. My point wasn't insomuch that DeRozan needs a 3-point shot, but he needs to increase his range. His shooting has always been suspect. It was in his scouting report from the get-go. Sure, he's got crazy hops and athleticism, but if the kid can't hit a jump shot when his role is essentially a swingman, it's somewhat discouraging. Teams will slag off on his and force him to shoot.

As for him being a good defender, he's got the tools. His athleticism and work ethic should help him to be a better defender.
                              A 3 point shot is one of the easiest skills to learn in basketball. It's simply repetition and something you can learn by spending time alone in a gym for a couple of hours a day.

Athleticism and a work ethic are nice, but instincts and fundamentals are what is going to turn DeRozan into a good defender. Does he have those? I don't know. He's shown some decent instincts at times, but it's not something you can practice.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X