Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The art of 'hitting the ground running': What realistic piece would help HTGR? (39)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    I know. I don't understand why ppl are freaking out. I think a second rounder is much better than expected. I mean its not like we went after Gerald Wallace and gave up a first rounder for him (sorry New Jersey). Also, as for the playoff talk, that's absolutely nonsense. What, they sneak in and then be blown out of the water in 3 games? Wonderful. Besides, I want to see Forbes more. Didn't the team went after him and gave him another two years? He was rotting at the end of the bench until recently.
    The people freaking out are the ones who play Yahoo! fantasy sports leagues and assume real life operates in the same fashion.
    Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:12 AM.

Comment

When Bob McCown asked Colangelo what the maximum cap space the Raptors could have this summer, Colangelo didn't hesitate to answer "$20 million".

That $20 million can really only be obtained if Calderon is amnestied. Wonder if Colangelo realistically has any plans of doing so (if he has a specific free agent in mind who he desperately wants).

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Sorry, not drinking the BC kool-aid anymore.

This all sounds great in theory but implicit is the assumption that Colangelo will make the correct decisions. I have no confidence in that. Even granting that, cap space is only good if free agents will take your money and/or their are trades available to get elite talent back. Not only are those unknowns right now but I have real questions about whether this team has any assets that can be moved for a good return.

You can be optimistic about the position Toronto has put itself in but this talk about "hitting the ground running" or "the rebuilding is over and we're building", "the future is bright"... sorry. The rebuilding hasn't even started yet, they're still tearing it down. The rebuilding willl begin next year when JV and the 2012 pick arrive and whatever other young talent Colangelo finds to put around them. The financial position Toronto is in gives them opportunities but the future is only going to be bright if those opportunities are capitalized on in a meaningful way. This management team had a lot of opportunities in the summer of 2006 and it blew. Let's hope it has things figured out this time.
        Colangelo has every right to have non-kool-aid drinkers among the followers. I can't blame you for that.

Will Colangelo make the right decisions and will those opportunities be available? Who knows? But it is at least a possibility. If the trade wasn't made there would be no possibility whatsoever. Despite what one thinks of Colangelo, there is at least a chance versus the alternative prior to the trade. I did attempt to phrase all of this as a possibility - not a given, sorry if I failed at that.

Regardless of the stage of the rebuild, it takes time to clear the roster of players (and more importantly their contracts). Considering the Raptors are just a little over a year and a half removed from 'starting from scratch' (i.e. centre piece left), I like where we are.

In the bolded section, the whole point of the post was to highlight the opportunities you mention as a result of the Barbosa trade. The possibilities are there which is why the Barbosa trade was made. It does remain to be seen what happens. You don't have faith - I can respect that.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
          I don't know... I thought it sounded like maybe someone younger. I mean, Nash would certainly be a "replacement" for Calderon, but not a long-term one. They still need that young PG, unless Colangelo thinks Nash has 4-5 good years left in him to stay with the current core of youngsters through their development to contenders. They'll need to either sign a young guy who can start now and into the next 4 years or so, or sign a temporary solution like Nash along with drafting or signing a guy who can understudy Nash/Calderon. If the 2nd is the way they plan to go, then I'd personally just stick with Calderon unless Nash is coming cheap.

In my opinion, Bayless is already written off as a potential replacement to Calderon by management. That's just a guess. I do think he still has a chance to grab the Barbosa, off-the-bench scorer role down the stretch here if he really proves he's worth more than $4M/year in that role, but even that's no sure thing. Colangelo keeps drilling the "flexibility" angle, so tying up over $4M in a QO for Bayless on July 1 doesn't seem like it will be in the plans...

I really like the interview; shows they have been planning for this summer for the past 2 years with the moves they've been making. Strategy and exceution have been sound. The groundwork has been set. Now, as Slaw says, it's time to see if they can make the "right" decisions...
          I think the qualifying offer is dependent upon what they do prior to the draft or on draft night. If they have made a trade and are close to/at/above the salary cap, I think he gets qualifying offer.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            When Bob McCown asked Colangelo what the maximum cap space the Raptors could have this summer, Colangelo didn't hesitate to answer "$20 million".

That $20 million can really only be obtained if Calderon is amnestied. Wonder if Colangelo realistically has any plans of doing so (if he has a specific free agent in mind who he desperately wants).
            I wouldn't read too much in to it. McCown asked him what the max was and the max is around $20M. You are absolutely right it would mean Calderon (or Bargnani) was amnestied. But the question asked was answered with fact. Now if McCown followed up with, "Are you going to avail of the maximum amount of cap space you could have?" and BC answered, "Yes." Then i would read a lot more in to it.

Comment

Apart from the good points made in the op re: the return for LB being not enough I would make the point that this presupposes that the Raptors did not have a conversation with EVERY team and finally deemed that this was the best return all aspects considered (in the op). I would also point out that BC would have been working on a LB deal for at least a couple of months...and possibly a Calderon one as well.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I wouldn't read too much in to it. McCown asked him what the max was and the max is around $20M. You are absolutely right it would mean Calderon (or Bargnani) was amnestied. But the question asked was answered with fact. Now if McCown followed up with, "Are you going to avail of the maximum amount of cap space you could have?" and BC answered, "Yes." Then i would read a lot more in to it.

Hey Matt, I think I read somewhere that the Raps can only deal with non playoff teams and then with teams as they are eliminated from the playoffs. Is that correct? I know that this would not impact draft night but wonder what type of players are available or desirable from non playoff teams etc.

Comment

Personally, I applaud BC for this move, even if it doesn't work out and we dont capitalize on the cap space created ( I fully expect us to by the way). Nothing is ever guaranteed, but you have to applaud him for thinking out of the box and trying to get a head start on some moves before July 1st. One thing Colangelo has never been shy about is taking a risk, and I think this is what has the naysayer's worried. However from hearing BC talk since the end of last year, I think he is looking at this rebuild from a different perspective compared to 2006. I for one am excited to see what the next months have in store

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
                    Hey Matt, I think I read somewhere that the Raps can only deal with non playoff teams and then with teams as they are eliminated from the playoffs. Is that correct? I know that this would not impact draft night but wonder what type of players are available or desirable from non playoff teams etc.
                    That is my understanding on post season trades prior to July 1st. I could be wrong and if I am I hope someone sets me straight.

I don't know who might be available. I check HoopsHype.com daily to find out the latest gossip on who might be available.

I would imagine:

- anyone on a bad contract would be available (Ben Gordon, Charlie V in Detroit or Blatche on Washington, for example) but obviously you wouldn't want them.

- any team facing salary cap or luxury tax issues would also be a possibility.

- any team looking to clear a contract to make a run in free agency.

(and remember any unrestricted free agent or restricted free agent cannot be traded).

Wesley Matthews is a player I'd have interest in and he was reportedly available at the deadline.

Comment

Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
                      Personally, I applaud BC for this move, even if it doesn't work out and we dont capitalize on the cap space created ( I fully expect us to by the way). Nothing is ever guaranteed, but you have to applaud him for thinking out of the box and trying to get a head start on some moves before July 1st. One thing Colangelo has never been shy about is taking a risk, and I think this is what has the naysayer's worried. However from hearing BC talk since the end of last year, I think he is looking at this rebuild from a different perspective compared to 2006. I for one am excited to see what the next months have in store
                      +1

Comment

With the new cap space maybe BC can steal Aaron Brooks from Phoenix, using the same logic in trying to sign Wilson Chandler. The Suns are currently capped out and Brook is RFA. So if the Suns don't want to pay luxury tax BC can sign Brooks to a contract of 8-9mill per season. The roster may look like this next year

C - Jonas
                        PF- Bargs
                        SF -MKGilchrist / H. Barnes (2012 pick)
                        SG- Demar
                        PG- Aaron Brooks

Comment

gmforce74 wrote: View Post
                          With the new cap space maybe BC can steal Aaron Brooks from Phoenix, using the same logic in trying to sign Wilson Chandler. The Suns are currently capped out and Brook is RFA. So if the Suns don't want to pay luxury tax BC can sign Brooks to a contract of 8-9mill per season. The roster may look like this next year

C - Jonas
                          PF- Bargs
                          SG- Demar
                          PG- Aaron Brooks
                          If it takes overpaying all over again don't want it. We could use the money for something even bigger.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Just say no to Aaron Brooks
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

gmforce74 wrote: View Post

C - Jonas
                              PF- Bargs
                              SG- Demar
                              PG- Aaron Brooks
                              PHX gave up a lot to get him, I doubt they let him walk away that easily. I feel like they could dump salary if they needed to to keep him.

Comment

Plus he's a selfish chucker that doesn't play defense and we want nothing to do with him
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X