No announcement yet.

Trade effects Mock Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, at least they won't be as bad as last year .... (captain obvious)

Washington will draft Bradley Beal. It makes the most sense. Their problem will be shooting, but as far as defense goes, they should be solid. But if injuries get in the way, then they screwed themselves i n d a b u m h o l e

Washington had talented no - IQ basketball players last year & I think they are trying to filter out that image. Shipped McGee, Young & looks to be Blatche is up next, and switched it for solid veterans who are a bit overpaid. Maybe it's too soon for Washington to make such a move. They have essentially tied themselves up for the next 2 years. Barring a John Wall meteoric rise, I don't see them any better than a 1st round team.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
      Well you sure are optimistic...

I'd literally eat my own shit if we drafted MKG
      me too ... where is the hot sauce?

anyhow this post assume that there is no more moving up or down or out of the draft by either team - which could again change the draft.
      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

1. I hate this trade for the wiz. They basically said goodbye to all their cap space for a couple middling players.

2. GODDAMMIT BC DO SOMETHING COOL ALREADY THE STUPID WIZARDS ARE CMON MAN
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Yeah this trade screams Bradley Beal to me. Would be a perfect fit in Washington after the trade. I don't know how much this really changes who will be available at 8 though. MKG won't slip past Sacramento (and probably not even past Cleveland, although I can see them biting on Barnes, they did reach for Thompson last year at 4 after all). That being said, I think it does effect us insofar as it increases the chances of Drummond slipping past 5, in which case Portland would have to seriously consider him, thereby increasing the likelyhood of Lillard being around at 8.

Ultimately, after getting the PER low-down on Waiters and Lillard, as long as one of them is still on the board when we're on the clock, I'll be one happy camper.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            1. I hate this trade for the wiz. They basically said goodbye to all their cap space for a couple middling players.

What good is cap space if the team is in the situation Washington is/was in?

This is the owner's take from his blog:

We added two vets to our team today in exchange for a late second round pick and a player who we were intending to buy out.

All in all, we will enter next season with possibly nine players on their rookie contract, as we have two picks in this coming draft – a high first and a high second round pick.

We will now have the opportunity to surround the young players with five to six seasoned vets. We added Nene last season, and now we have added Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza. All three will play in our rotation next season and are experienced, tough and talented. They are “team first” in attitude kinds of players that have had championship successes – one in college (UConn) and one in the pro ranks (Lakers).

They are all high character people as well and provide us a deep front line. They will also be able to mentor our young players in a positive fashion – and they are all happy to be in DC!

I also am happy that we were able to add these two players because their coming to our team is guaranteed, while playing free agency is a bit more of an unknown outcome. In free agency, you can bid on and recruit players, but since they are unrestricted free agents, they can choose to go wherever they feel is best for their careers and their family life. And to sign them, you must make a long term commitment that could affect your team in the out years of their deals.

These two new players are not signed for the long term – so we can manage our team, retain players and add players in the mid to long term the right way. We still have the draft coming up – and I bet we have some more moves to make before next season.

Stay tuned.
            I am happy we were able to turn an expiring contract into very productive players for us next season. Two players with high character, high basketball IQ, winning attitudes and they are both still young players even though they are considered to be seasoned vets. Please help us to welcome them both to Washington, DC!

http://www.tedstake.com/
            Assuming Blatche is now amnestied, they are at about $52M for a complete roster minus a backup PG. They have a great balance of youth and veterans. The timing of the expiration of veterans contracts coincide with expiration of rookie deals. We've seen what throwing 40mins a night does to rookie development and the culture of the team.

I really do think this is a great deal for WSH and the media is in a serious case of group think of after little thought being put in to the trade. The key is Okafor is healthy.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              I'm not seeing playoffs for the Wiz.. granted Okafor was injured most of the year, but he hasn't really ever been a part of a winning team (well.. I guess when he had Paul on his team). Nene didn't do anything to help the Wiz last year.. and Ariza is just a serviceable player.. those two guys are decent, but their not superstar/allstar type players.. unless their #3 pick is gold, I still see them in the lottery next year.. probably going to be better than 3rd worst.. but probably more in the 8/9/10 range.

Also they still have Blatche on their team.. he's good for at least 10-15 losses
              Keep in mind that New York had Melo', Amare and Chandler and still can't get past the first round. You don't need stars to make the playoffs, just solid players and good team chemistry. Washington will be an exciting team to watch next season especially if they get MKG or Beal. I like MKG on that team for his leadership, but I like Beal for his ability to stretch the defense which will allow Nene space to work in the post.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                This seems like a panic trade from Washington. They're trying way too early to show Wall they can put a playoff team around him and they're killing their ability to add more meaningful pieces until some of their contracts are up. That's the only reason I don't like it. They're gonna need a lot more than they're currently got if they want to make the second round, so what's the point?
                Wall checked out mentally last season, and if the losing continues he won't resign. I agree it was a panic move, but also that it was cruicial to their future.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

Totally agree with comment #2. BC needs to step up and start making some moves instead of just talking the good talk all the time. I don't want to hear about how flexible we are I want to see that flexibility in use.

Comment

The move may not have been to please Wall, but to develop him. Yes, he was a #1 pick, but he hasn't been all that impressive yet. Having some seasoned, no-nonsense veterans around him could be just what the doctor ordered for Wall's career to take the next step.

Comment

My initial reaction was that New Orleans won this trade hands-down, being able to unload 2 bad contracts for 1 bad (but expiring) contract, AND they got a 2nd round pick. However, after sleeping on it, I actually think it will benefit both teams.

New Orleans
                      - they can go into full-blown youth movement rebuilding mode, by building a team around Gordon, Davis and whoever they take with their #10 pick
                      - they will suffer through another terrible season in a tough Western Conference, which should result in another top-8 pick in the 2013 draft
                      - after a year of development for their 3 young core players, they will have only 1 player under guaranteed contract for the 2013-14 season (Jason Smith @ $2.5M), with Lewis' $23.8M contract and Jack's $5.6M contract coming off the books, while holding team options for 4 other players (Aminu @ $3.8M, Henry @ $3.2M, Ayon @ $1.5 and Vasquez @ $2.2M)... meaning they will have HUGE amounts of cap space to add to their core group of Eric Gordon, Anthony Davis, 2012 #10, 2013 1st round pick

Washington
                      - for a team that looked even more messed up than Sacramento less than a year ago, they have done a great job changing the personnel, to bring in some character veterans (ie: Nene, Okafor, Ariza) that will change the team's culture and hopefully draw more fans and ensure their young talent develops the 'right' way
                      - similar to Sacramento, they have lots of raw young talent (ie: Wall, Vesely, #3 pick), but now have a much better internal support system to mentor the group
                      - who knows what else they may have gotten for Lewis, but Okafor/Ariza are making $3M less than Lewis this season and only have 1 additional year on their contracts (Ariza's is a player option), so it's not as though Washington is really that much worse off (plus the 2 expiring contracts will suddenly become assets next offseason and/or that season's trade deadline)
                      - although they will be improved next season and might be in the mix for the last playoff spot, I expect they'll be a lottery team for one more season, which will allow them to add another piece to their core group, giving them HUGE amounts of cap space to add to their their core group of Wall, Vesely, Nene, #3 2012 pick and 2013 lottery pick, after they've had a year playing together

2012 Draft
                      - I think Raptors fan can now officially kiss Beal goodbye, as he would seem to me to be the perfect fit for Washington @ #3 (if Charlotte doesn't take him @ #2)
                      - of the consensus top-7, I think the only players that have even the slightest chance of being available for the Raptors @ #8 are Lillard and Drummond
                      - my expected draft order, with options (my expected pick is the first name listed)

1. Davis
                      2. Robinson or MKG or Beal
                      3. Beal or Robinson
                      4. Barnes
                      5. MKG or Drummond
                      6. Lillard or MKG or Drummond
                      7. Drummond or MKG or Robinson or PJII or Sullinger (if deemed healthy enough) or Henson

* if Portland doesn't draft Lillard @ #6, I expect he'll be available for Toronto
                      * I can see MKG falling out of the top-4, but he will NOT fall to #8
                      * Drummond could go as high as #5, or drop all the way out of the top-7

Comment

We all talked about the proverbial treadmill last off-season and I think New Orleans had a treadmill sale and Washington bought it. Their new lineup will sell tickets because they won't be a terrible team anymore, but they're not going anywhere with this lineup and personally I would have preferred just waiting out a year and being freed of Rashard's contract and opening tons of cap space. By then, they would had a full year of development for either Beal or MKG, and have an offseason with massive cap space and likely another lottery pick to boot.

This is still not a contending team and they've now extended their average winning ways by about 2 more years because both Okafor and Ariza will almost certainly pick up their player options. And it's not like Okafor has been known for his durability. He has virtually no offensive game.

Personally for Washington I would have preferred the cap and roster flexibility in return for one more year of losing but growing, much like we had with Toronto this past season. And they probably would still get another lottery pick which they could either make another choice, or flip for a veteran. I would only make moves like that if you're bringing in guys who will lock you in on a playoff spot, and I don't think Okafor and Ariza do that necessarily. Tough call for a GM who has had a bit of bad luck lately.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          New Orleans just made a brilliant trade with the Wizards

They dumped Ariza and Okafor to Washington for Lewis and the 46th pick

New Orleans will now have 23 million in cap space next summer to do some serious upgrades around Davis and their pick...not to mention a fair amount of losing this season for a good pick next year...

anyway how this effects the mock

Washington no longer needs a 3....between Ariza and Jan Vesely which means they will likely take a two or 5 of the future...i.e. Drummond or Beal

NO - Davis
                          Charlotte - Thomas Robinson
                          Washington - Andre Drummond
                          Cleveland - Dion Waiters
                          SAC - needs a center will probably trade down
                          PORT - Damian Lillard
                          GSW - Harrison Barnes or MKG
                          TOR - Harrison Barnes or MKG

Looks like some Mocks may need an update

Why is cleveland picking waiters?

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            We all talked about the proverbial treadmill last off-season and I think New Orleans had a treadmill sale and Washington bought it. Their new lineup will sell tickets because they won't be a terrible team anymore, but they're not going anywhere with this lineup and personally I would have preferred just waiting out a year and being freed of Rashard's contract and opening tons of cap space. By then, they would had a full year of development for either Beal or MKG, and have an offseason with massive cap space and likely another lottery pick to boot.

This is still not a contending team and they've now extended their average winning ways by about 2 more years because both Okafor and Ariza will almost certainly pick up their player options. And it's not like Okafor has been known for his durability. He has virtually no offensive game.

Personally for Washington I would have preferred the cap and roster flexibility in return for one more year of losing but growing, much like we had with Toronto this past season. And they probably would still get another lottery pick which they could either make another choice, or flip for a veteran. I would only make moves like that if you're bringing in guys who will lock you in on a playoff spot, and I don't think Okafor and Ariza do that necessarily. Tough call for a GM who has had a bit of bad luck lately.
                            I disagree.

Washington has been one of the poster children for the perils of going strictly with a youth movement. Giving young, talented players 40 minutes per night is akin to throwing a very young child in the deep end of the pool: some are going to make it out but the majority will drown. I think that has been evident in Washington as big minutes to Mcgee, Young, Blatche, and Crawford did little. Even John Wall had a bit of a set back this year.

Washington has been stuck in the mud because they have not been able to acquire that elusive franchise talent in the draft and the talent they did have were given PT with a silver spoon in their mouth. They also had few respectable veterans to show them the ropes. The question for the Wizards (and Raptors) is do they continue to make the lottery year in and year out hoping they get the next Durant or LBJ?

I really do like the path WSH has taken. The Wiz now have proven veterans that are still young enough to contribute and lots of young talent to fill reserve roles while watching established veterans show them the ins and outs of managing the NBA life. Once guys like Okafor and Ariza are off the books, rookie contracts will be up. Those players worth keeping will be kept, those not worth keeping will not be kept. Without established veterans who are still productive on the roster, those players on rookie contracts most likely contribute to a losing culture/team/environment/mentality - whatever you want to call it - because guys who have experience and talent are not their to make them better NBA players/professionals on and off the court.

As for the flexibility lost, well, free agency is irrelevant when you are losing. As for the trade route, the Wizards just did it. Solid veterans on good contracts are not being given away by teams. WSH just got 2 solid veterans who are overpaid by using their cap space. Considering their #3 pick will be the 8th - 8th! - player on a rookie deal, I think youth is well represented at all positions on their roster.

With Ariza and Okafor on board (and healthy) at least when they are off the books Washington will (hopefully) be able to recruit free agents as a playoff team with some decent talent entering their prime and youth still with potential to tap. I think this is a better opportunity and sell than the current state of the franchise which is not a guarantee to change by adding more youth and another year of losing.

I guess where we disagree is with the impact Okafor and Ariza will have. Personally, I think their contributions (if healthy) combined with growth from Wall/Crawford/Serephin/Booker gets them in to the playoffs. Given until last season Okafor played the previous 4 years and only missed 10 games, I don't think it is fair to label him damaged goods. From my interpretation of many of the comments last year from Williams, Okafor could have played. They were extremely vague on what exactly was wrong with the knee.

Comment

I mean if it doesn't work next year, I'm pretty sure another team will be very happy to take on expiring contracts for 2013-2014 season. So I guess in that sense, it can't be too bad.

I still think they need a coach ... And I'm not sure how I feel about Trevor Ariza being the role model.
                              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Many things ..

First of all, the thought that SAC NEEDS a 5 is and gonna trade the pick if they cant get one makes no sense. To me, Cousins is arguably a top 10 post player in the league (or at least could be soon) .. so Im not sure 5 is even their greatest need - let alone that they would trade the pick if MKG is starring at them! MKG would be a great fit with Tyreke and Counsins - both of whom want to score only .. MKG slides in and does the intangibles.

Next - the trade is brutal for Wash. Its exactly what we were trying to do with JO and others (except we were much better at the time than the wiz are now. Overpaid vets are the LAST thing you want in the league today with the new salary cap rules. I dont disagree that the Wiz could use vets .. but there have to be better value options for them.

In the Raps context, if we would have done something like this, Id lose my shit. Its one thing to take an overpaid vet thats actually good and could arguably be a first scoring option (ie Gay) .. its totally another for one that is a journeyman at best (Okafor)....

Comment

Working...
                                X