Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brandon Knight's stock is dropping/Calipari attempting to raise stock (post #18)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Knight's stock is dropping/Calipari attempting to raise stock (post #18)

He's reluctant to workout against other top PGs:

As if the lottery landscape wasn't unpredictable already, Brandon Knight might be muddying these waters even more than before.

While it remains likely that Cleveland will take Duke point guard Kyrie Irving at the top spot and (insert team name here, since Minnesota continues to spread the word that it would like to move down) will take Arizona's Derrick Williams at No. 2, sources say the Kentucky point guard could be risking his chance to go third overall to Utah by refusing to work out against competition. Knight has an open invitation to join Connecticut's Kemba Walker, BYU's Jimmer Fredette and UCLA's Malcolm Lee in a June 15 workout with the Jazz, but sources close to both sides said he has yet to decide whether to take part.
    What's more, there are rumblings that Utah is less than thrilled at the notion that Knight would even consider dictating the terms with the No. 3 pick (although Turkish center Enes Kanter already did just that in his Jazz workout in Chicago in which Toronto also took part). It's unclear whether the Jazz would take a hard-line stance and refuse to take Knight unless he worked out against other top-line competitors, but that appears to be a possibility.

I attended Knight's workout in Sacramento on June 2 and walked away convinced that Knight saw the Kings as his so-called first-round floor at No. 7. The problem there, predictably, is that the one-on-none approach wasn't well received by the Kings' brass either. As if separating the talent in this crop wasn't tough enough, Knight's tactic appears to have thrown a subtle wildcard into the process.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1P1uI4uvd

Interesting. Kemba was quite thrilled to be included in the group workouts with Fredette if I remember correctly.

Before Utah came into the picture with the rumour of being interested in Knight, I remember it was pretty common to see his name out of the Top 5. Not sure he should be pushing his luck. No.3 would be a gift for him, if he indeed was selected there. I don't believe he is a Top 3 talent, and I'm sure there are alot of people that agree. He's walking on thin ice with this one it seems.

Comment

Don't like to hear that as it means Utah is not as likely to take him at 3, which means Kanter is less likely to drop to 5.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

You know it's funny, I read this shortly after I read Holly MacKenzie's take on the interview Knight did for the Raps:

Loved how Brandon handled the questions about the “scheduling conflict” that meant he and Kemba wouldn’t be working out against one another. Rather than get rattled or stumble over excuses, he simply said he shows up where his agent tells him to be and allows him to worry about everything while he focuses on basketball. Smart answer. Easy answer. And he stayed with it, despite repeated questions about whether he would have liked to compete against Kemba.

Just funny how each media member sees their own angle to take. Not taking sides either way, just an example of how much you can trust what you read from sports media in general.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Don't like to hear that as it means Utah is not as likely to take him at 3, which means Kanter is less likely to drop to 5.
          But the article points out that Kanter did the exact same thing as Knight to Utah, in dictating the process of individual workouts. So I can't see them viewing it any differently.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            But the article points out that Kanter did the exact same thing as Knight to Utah, in dictating the process of individual workouts. So I can't see them viewing it any differently.
            Yes word is Utah was quite unhappy with Kanter's group.

Comment

Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
              You know it's funny, I read this shortly after I read Holly MacKenzie's take on the interview Knight did for the Raps:

Loved how Brandon handled the questions about the “scheduling conflict” that meant he and Kemba wouldn’t be working out against one another. Rather than get rattled or stumble over excuses, he simply said he shows up where his agent tells him to be and allows him to worry about everything while he focuses on basketball. Smart answer. Easy answer. And he stayed with it, despite repeated questions about whether he would have liked to compete against Kemba.

Just funny how each media member sees their own angle to take. Not taking sides either way, just an example of how much you can trust what you read from sports media in general.
              Same way I read the situation.
              Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

I don't blame him for not wanting to go up against Kemba Walker. He's kind of damn if he does, damned if he doesn't. If he felt he could handle Kemba you know he would do it to silence the critics instead of being boxed into a corner like this.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Interesting. Kemba was quite thrilled to be included in the group workouts with Fredette if I remember correctly.

Before Utah came into the picture with the rumour of being interested in Knight, I remember it was pretty common to see his name out of the Top 5. Not sure he should be pushing his luck. No.3 would be a gift for him, if he indeed was selected there. I don't believe he is a Top 3 talent, and I'm sure there are alot of people that agree. He's walking on thin ice with this one it seems.
                  Just a crazy talk here but from the interview I saw of him after the workout in Toronto, he seems like he enjoyed it here. He is friends with DD as everyone seems to be and he chose to come workout here in case his stocks drops as it has right now. Thoughts on this but do you think that maybe he wants to play in Toronto and is making his stocks drop? Call me crazy but just a gut feeling here.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    I don't blame him for not wanting to go up against Kemba Walker. He's kind of damn if he does, damned if he doesn't. If he felt he could handle Kemba you know he would do it to silence the critics instead of being boxed into a corner like this.
                    These individual workouts are lame. What do these players have to hide? Lame. Spoiled. Lame. Agents, even lamer.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Is Irving going up against Knight or Walker in workouts? Don't see Knight not going up against Walker as an issue. Fingers crossed his stock drops and he falls into our lap at 5. That would be three years in a row BC gets spoon fed draft day and I have no problem with that at all.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                        Is Irving going up against Knight or Walker in workouts? Don't see Knight not going up against Walker as an issue. Fingers crossed his stock drops and he falls into our lap at 5. That would be three years in a row BC gets spoon fed draft day and I have no problem with that at all.
                        Nor do I. I would love that. GO Raps GO!

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                          Irving is only working out for Cleveland, so he is probably not at any workouts with either Knight or Walker

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            These individual workouts are lame. What do these players have to hide? Lame. Spoiled. Lame. Agents, even lamer.

Some players do really well in individual workouts, others do well in a game setting. I would figure based on that each agent makes a decision if the workouts are going to help or hurt. If the players stock is already high due his scholastic success, it may be better to just leave it at that.

Even one on one workouts don't tell the full story, lots of aspects can't be tested this way. Court vision, positioning when 5 on 5. So I can see a bit of logic for those that feel they have already proven enough.

I also wonder if in a group of 6 kids working out, unfair attention is paid to the one highest on the draft order, and if its a combination workout where players oppose each other, the top draft pick may face more gambles by the other players than say someone lower on the pecking order. This is a mute point with me, but I can see some agents not seeing this risk as necessary for their top guys. Imagine getting injured in one of these... if you don't need to do it, you don't risk the money before you drop some ink.
                            Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sun Jun 12, 2011, 06:27 PM.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                              Some players do really well in individual workouts, others do well in a game setting. I would figure based on that each agent makes a decision if the workouts are going to help or hurt. If the players stock is already high due his scholastic success, it may be better to just leave it at that.

Even one on one workouts don't tell the full story, lots of aspects can't be tested this way. Court vision, positioning when 5 on 5. So I can see a bit of logic for those that feel they have already proven enough.

I also wonder if in a group of 6 kids working out, unfair attention is paid to the one highest on the draft order, and if its a combination workout where players oppose each other, the top draft pick may face more gambles by the other players than say someone lower on the pecking order. This is a mute point with me, but I can see some agents not seeing this risk as necessary for their top guys. Imagine getting injured in one of these... if you don't need to do it, you don't risk the money before you drop some ink.
                              Without being privy of course to BK's agent's knowledge of certain team's already professed strong interest/promise to draft I would think that only a couple of the very best/shoo-ins can have the attitude of not competing with peers in a workout....or risk falling in the draft as a result. It could cost him a couple of million. I expect the decision was not made lightly. His agent also knows that K Walker outplayed BK in their last 2 meetings. Having this happen again in a single workout with possibly a Fredette or someone else do the same would be disastrous.

Comment

Working...
                              X