National Post: Raps troubles all too familiar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    If you look at our roster going in to next year, there is no reason why we wouldn't be making the playoffs, at around the 6th seed. It all just happened too late this year
    I week ago, I would've agreed with you. But 5 straight losses (prior to the Phoenix game) has sucked away any faith I had in this roster going into next season. I think we're a long way from a .500 club, let alone the 6th seed.

There's enough individual talent, but I just don't see a cohesive team.

Comment

Good article and very much captures the Raps situation. People may not like the ominous read, but the fact is we are one of the worst teams in the league consistently and of all the teams that are at the bottom of the standings (Kings, Bobcats, Wizards, Cavs), I'd say our future is only better than the Kings. Bobcats have some nice young pieces and the flexibility to trade for more. Wizards have a dynamic young back-court. Cavs look poised to make a step with some significant young pieces. The Raps? Our future is tied to players not on rookie deals, or players who aren't really contributing yet (Ross & JV).
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        What exactly does the alternative do?

"Don't worry fans, there's always next year" has gotten us nowhere.
        Well it's gotten us to another weak late lottery selection that, if we luck out, may end up in OKC anyway. That's... somewhere? haha
        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I week ago, I would've agreed with you. But 5 straight losses (prior to the Phoenix game) has sucked away any faith I had in this roster going into next season. I think we're a long way from a .500 club, let alone the 6th seed.

There's enough individual talent, but I just don't see a cohesive team.
          While I tend to agree, it's a small sample size at the moment and a major part of this team going forward (at least perceived major part) is the role of 2 rookies. Lots of unknowns, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I truly think a different coach could bring out the best in this bunch. Need to run more and have more movement on O. Iso ball next year would guarantee missing the playoffs. It doesn't work now and won't work then.
          There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
            While I tend to agree, it's a small sample size at the moment and a major part of this team going forward (at least perceived major part) is the role of 2 rookies. Lots of unknowns, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I truly think a different coach could bring out the best in this bunch. Need to run more and have more movement on O. Iso ball next year would guarantee missing the playoffs. It doesn't work now and won't work then.
            Yup. Part of my reasoning is directly attributable to Casey being our coach.

Comment

Hmm. I still think you stick with Casey until the team loses more games than it should. As the author notes, this team is still flawed and we need to keep building. Standing pat now and then firing Casey will likely lead to the next guy getting fired a couple years later too. To me it just makes no sense to keep replacing head coaches when the real flaw is in the roster.

While I believe there probably is a better answer out there, currently to me the reality is that "super motivator" guy still isn't going to take this team far, not the way it has been constructed.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                Bruce Arthur is awsome....

But I'm not sure that there was a point to this article.

If you look at our roster going in to next year, there is no reason why we wouldn't be making the playoffs, at around the 6th seed. It all just happened too late this year
                The point is that the sports editorial board at the paper decided to make it clear that they're anti-Colangelo (kind of like how newspapers choose a party or candidate to back in an election). And kudos to them for taking a stance; I think, at this point, they're the first paper to really pick a side.

This article reminds me of when Feschuk used to cover the Raps for the Star. Man, he was so depressing, and I was happy when they moved him off ball. But I wish he was covering the team now, because he had no fear of ripping anyone apart, and that's what's needed right now.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                X