Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will happen if the Raptors trade for an elite talent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

someone make a tshirt that says "No, unless it's for Po"
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I wonder if they'd take Amir, Vasquez, and the NYK pick for Po. They tend to get really, really stupid with their win-now attitude- a couple months of JJ for Harris (who is killing it in Orlando! 14.5 and 7.5 per game, get it son) was a terrible trade, I wonder if they'd be willing to do another one
      @Boymusic66

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        so in short, no, unless its for Po.
        Who the hell is Po?

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
          Who the hell is Po?
          Is that a serious question? Giannis Antetokounmpo. The Greek Freak.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
            Is that a serious question? Giannis Antetokounmpo. The Greek Freak.
            ohhhhhhh....I always hear people call him Giannis, I've never heard the Po nickname.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
              ohhhhhhh....I always hear people call him Giannis, I've never heard the Po nickname.
              Its Po because whatever the hell that last name is, is impossible to pronounce/remember.
              "Bruno?
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Lots of talk about trading for elite talent. Threads on Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, and trading up to get Wiggins (who is unproven, of course).

But what would it take to do that?

S&T Lowry? Maybe - unlikely
                DeRozan? Likely for salary purposes if nothing else
                Ross? If not DeRozan
                JV? Maybe
                Amir? Possibly
                cap relief in Salmons?
                2014 pick?
                2015 pick?
                2016 pick?
                2016 DEN/NY pick?

I get nervous when I hear about possibly trades like this. What happens if that player comes and eventually leaves because they feel there is no room for the team to get better?

Personally, I hope the Raps don't do anything rash - yet. I would continue looking to accumulate assets and takie advantage of the draft with players on rookie deals.

So, in conclusion, if the Raptors give up legit starter/All-Star (DeRozan), solid role player (Amir), prospect (JV/Ross), draft picks, where exactly does that leave the Raptors? Quite possibly the New York Knicks with Carmelo Anthony?

Patience and asset accumulation, please!

What do you think?
                I see your point about accumulating assets, but at what point do you pull that trigger? Right now you could argue that our regular rotation are all assets (short contracts or good value to dollar players, rookie contracts etc). We have picks and cap space too. What else are you hoping to add before making a run at a superstar? The roster is as good of a supporting cast as you can find on any contender. All we need is the player(s) to put us over the top. You look at all of the contenders out there and you have your max guy(s) and scrubs around them.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  I see your point about accumulating assets, but at what point do you pull that trigger? Right now you could argue that our regular rotation are all assets (short contracts or good value to dollar players, rookie contracts etc). We have picks and cap space too. What else are you hoping to add before making a run at a superstar? The roster is as good of a supporting cast as you can find on any contender. All we need is the player(s) to put us over the top. You look at all of the contenders out there and you have your max guy(s) and scrubs around them.
                  I think we need a couple years of internal development. We also need to clear Landry and Chucky off the books.
                  "Bruno?
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

We'll be rewarded if we're patient until 2015.

Right now our committed salary for 2015-16 is $21m for DeRozan, JV, Ross, and Novak. Let's say Lowry is retained for around $10 million per year. And Patterson for $5 million per year. Add in about 2.5 million for a couple first-rounders drafted around 20th this summer and next.*

That's less than 40m for a pretty solid core of 8 players (assuming you draft useful rotation players) with your first-rounders, and enough room to go after one max-salary player, or at the very least a near all-star player. Then you round out the roster with a few cheap vets. The 2015 draft class is definitely weighted toward big-men at this point. Something we could definitely improve.

There's no point in trying to rush things by one year and giving up talent to free up salary, or trading players away to acquire players of an equal level to what we might acquire in 2015.

*This budget is based on the Raptors picking up Amir's team option this summer, but not keeping him beyond next year. I love him but PF is definitely an upgradeable position for us.

Comment

I say, if the opportunity to get a game changer comes along, you take it. Period. That's the hard part. Then you sort the rest out after.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        I say, if the opportunity to get a game changer comes along, you take it. Period. That's the hard part. Then you sort the rest out after.
                        Fair point.

However I am scared you get a big name for a season and then they are gone - along with your assets.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                          Its Po because whatever the hell that last name is, is impossible to pronounce/remember.
                          Greek Freak is all i've really heard him referred to as. It's a great nickname though
                          @Boymusic66

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                            Agreed. In my opinion none of our assets save Val should be untouchable. Our 2014 draft pick is currently 20th, which going by MU's history would equate to a Faried/Fournier level player. If we pick up an impact player our 2015 pick might be worth even less. If we're not tanking these picks are of considerably lower than normal value.

That said, I would be hesitant to squander them on a guy who has say a year left on his contract, because we don't have the luxury of tossing seven+ years of player control for one.

So basically it depends on the situation. Sorry it's not a more satisfying answer.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
                              Greek Freak is all i've really heard him referred to as. It's a great nickname though
                              Alphabet Man has been thrown around on Yahoo! Fantasy Bball news updates.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                In my opinion, you pull the trigger when you are not left with a skeleton roster and it is for a player who is not able to bolt after one year.

Extensions are unlikely to happen moving forward. Too much money left on table by player unless they are in the twilight of their career, like Kobe, and only sign for 2 years anywyas.

Comment

Working...
                                X