Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets not get caught in the Jonas hype just yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    In this age the U.S. typically doesn't win world tournaments when they do send a lot of their best talent. The talent barometer shouldn't begin and end with the U.S. team. Similar to Canadian hockey 20 years ago, U.S. basketball today is finding that the rest of the world is gaining on them.
    There is also the fact that unlike the US team most of the others have defined basketball programs in their countries that make the national team play together quite a bit during the year. I think even Canada does this a bit which is more if at all for US basketball teams at such tournaments. They tend not to be "teams"....they get far because of their talent level...just like our hockey teams.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
      The US team didn't have many of the kids from the hoop summit American team. So it seems like they didn't send their best talent into this tourney. I personally don't think Patrick will be a lottery pick when he does come out but that's just me.
      The US had at least two players that are potential lottery picks, and several others that are likely to be drafted. Only a few NCAA teams have that kind of talent on their team. And they came in fifth. I'd say the talent level at the tournament was pretty good.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        There is also the fact that unlike the US team most of the others have defined basketball programs in their countries that make the national team play together quite a bit during the year. I think even Canada does this a bit which is more if at all for US basketball teams at such tournaments. They tend not to be "teams"....they get far because of their talent level...just like our hockey teams.
        Most other countries' young players also don't take the honor of representing their country for granted. Jose Calderon and Jorge Garbajosa are two prime examples that hit close to home. Especially Jorge who put his NBA career on the line for his national team and ended up losing his NBA career because of it. Andrea Bargnani always tries to play for his country, he's another example.

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        The US had at least two players that are potential lottery picks, and several others that are likely to be drafted. Only a few NCAA teams have that kind of talent on their team. And they came in fifth. I'd say the talent level at the tournament was pretty good.
        Spain always produces quality teams. There are a lot of Spaniards who could make it in the NCAA and NBA but American ball isn't always held high to all of them. Not all players feel the need to play in the NBA or NCAA to be validated. They probably don't care if some American or Candain couch potato has heard of them because they have a large following where they are and they make excellent money where they are.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
          The US team didn't have many of the kids from the hoop summit American team. So it seems like they didn't send their best talent into this tourney. I personally don't think Patrick will be a lottery pick when he does come out but that's just me.
          Because some of the guys from the Hoops summit were 17 & 18 as well 19 years old.
          The U19 Tournament basically says you can only have 19 years olds; or guys Under 19, but Older than 18.
          Because there are also an U18 and U16 teams. I think thats how it works.
          After a quick glance at the Rosters and Birthdates of the players, every single guy from Team USA, Lithuania, Australia, and likely all the rest of the teams, is 19 years old. Every single one.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Because some of the guys from the Hoops summit were 17 & 18 as well 19 years old.
            The U19 Tournament basically says you can only have 19 years olds; or guys Under 19, but Older than 18.
            Because there are also an U18 and U16 teams. I think thats how it works.
            After a quick glance at the Rosters and Birthdates of the players, every single guy from Team USA, Lithuania, Australia, and likely all the rest of the teams, is 19 years old. Every single one.
            There were some young players. I can't name them all without looking it up, but e.g. Dario Saric, center for Croatia, is born on the 8th of April in 1994, so he was a young 17. He played a lot and good too, 4th in scoring, 3th in Rebouding.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              There were some young players. I can't name them all without looking it up, but e.g. Dario Saric, center for Croatia, is born on the 8th of April in 1994, so he was a young 17. He played a lot and good too, 4th in scoring, 3th in Rebouding.
              Thanks SE. Was looking for some Confirmation on that.
              I didn't spend too much time researching my point. As you can tell. haha
              Stupid work, getting in the way Basketball.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Tossing out these general statements with no backing isn't furthering your stance. I can say "the moon is made of cheese and everyone knows it" but at the end of the day that doesn't make the moon made out of cheese.

Suddenly we can't use opinion around here without having to prove it as if its fact? Get over yourself.

As I told Tim, if you don't agree with me fine. By all means think this tournament is whatever you want to... I don't think this tournament means squat.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                  Suddenly we can't use opinion around here without having to prove it as if its fact? Get over yourself.

As I told Tim, if you don't agree with me fine. By all means think this tournament is whatever you want to... I don't think this tournament means squat.
                  I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to backup their opinion a little. Otherwise, you just get people spouting off anything. That's not much fun. In fact, there's a lot of people around here who find that kind of annoying. I mean, one of the things we do around here is debate things. Without backing up your argument, you're not debating. You're just pontificating.

It's fine if you have an opinion about something. But if you state and can't back it up, then you are going to get jumped on, and rightfully so.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Regarding the U19 tournament I get you don't think it means squat - that is fine.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the NCAA season play, conference tournaments, or Final 4 tournament? Do those competitions means squat as well?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Regarding the U19 tournament I get you don't think it means squat - that is fine.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the NCAA season play, conference tournaments, or Final 4 tournament? Do those competitions means squat as well?
                      NCAA season > Euroleague Season > all tournaments

I probably could give general decending order for tournament(s) (especially limited by age) but for ease of argument they all fit in the "don't mean squat" category. The "good players" excelling in them should be expected. If they don't, there should be some concern about those players.

But in general I'm just not a "draft pick" kinda guy. I put little faith in what these guys do until I see them step on the NBA court. Although just like anyone else there are guys I like more than others (and no doubt I'm wrong just as often as I'm right).

Comment

I probably could give general decending order for tournament(s) (especially limited by age) but for ease of argument they all fit in the "don't mean squat" category. The "good players" excelling in them should be expected. If they don't, there should be some concern about those players.

But in general I'm just not a "draft pick" kinda guy. I put little faith in what these guys do until I see them step on the NBA court. Although just like anyone else there are guys I like more than others (and no doubt I'm wrong just as often as I'm right).
                        The ranking you have is interesting. I don't necessarily agree but that is your opinion of course. Thanks for the reply.

In the end there might be correlations but I agree none of it means squat until they compete in the NBA. For every Darko there is an Adam Morrison. Success in whatever 'feeder' does not necessarily mean success in the NBA.

Comment

Wow, you put the NCAA above the Euroleague? That's stupid, you just seem extremely uneducated about basketball on a world scale. Basketball doesn't start and end in America.

Comment

thatguythere wrote: View Post
                            Wow, you put the NCAA above the Euroleague? That's stupid, you just seem extremely uneducated about basketball on a world scale. Basketball doesn't start and end in America.
                            Well ... for some reason the NBA calls the champion the champion of the world. I remember Popovic questioning this a couple of years ago. But apparently, for some (including some in charge), it does start and end in America.

Comment

You admit you're not a "draft pick" guy, and don't seem to have a great grasp of the prospects, yet you seem to have a pretty strong opinion of what matters and what doesn't. This seems kind of like the guy who says he doesn't understand science, but thinks global warming is bogus because it's cold outside. He's more than welcome to his opinion, but if he's going to say it out loud, he better be ready to either defend it or feel the backlash of those who do know more about it than he does.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                                Well ... for some reason the NBA calls the champion the champion of the world. I remember Popovic questioning this a couple of years ago. But apparently, for some (including some in charge), it does start and end in America.
                                Actually, the NBA, I believe, now calls them the NBA Champions. Some teams have World Champions on their banner, but the Spurs are one of the teams that don't.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X