Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any possibility that we lure big free agent this summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any possibility that we lure big free agent this summer?

With Gay aboard, are we having enough money to offer a huge contract to a guy like Al Jefferson? Because if the case is that if we sign one we won't be able to bring back Lowry, well, I'd rather have a star PF lockdown for years to come than having Lowry. But the best would surely be having both. The point of my thread is to know if we have enough cap space too sign a player to a big contract. Thanks. Also I guess we would use our amnesty on Bargs or trade him/same for Kleiza.

Comte Comte, Comte Comte (From Van Dame's Blood Sports), let's just sign Bolo Yeung and degenerate him, he's short but his strong enough to play SF or PF and shift Gay to PF.

Comment

We won't have cap space, and to clear it up:

You can only sign players that are of your own roster if over the cap. i.e Kyle Lowry NEXT off-season. We can re-sign him regardless of our cap space. It's whether or not he wants to stay. Re-signing Lowry puts us further over the cap. Although, every team has an MLE (Mid-level exception), which is a than $5 million to sign players. Only way to get better without having to really jeopardize going much deeper into cap/going into punitive luxury tax is via trade.

Once a year, teams can use a mid-level exception (MLE) to sign a player to a contract for a specified maximum amount. The amount of the MLE and its duration depend on the team's cap status. The MLE is $5 million for a duration of four years for teams that are over the cap either before or after the signing, but did not pay a luxury tax in the previous season. Teams without cap room that paid tax in the previous season have an MLE of $3 million with a three-year duration. Teams with cap room, previously ineligible for the MLE, have a new MLE of $2.5 million with a two-year duration. The MLE is frozen at the stated levels through the 2012–13 season, after which it increases by 3% per season
      (Correct me if mistaken on the above)

I'd rather re-sign Lowry, rather than have Al Jefferson and no one get the ball because John Lucas will be running the team. Quite frankly, using Bargnani (if we don't make playoffs, the 1st round pick), possibly 1 of Derozan/Ross/Fields/Anderson as trade-able assets to acquire that post presence. Toronto needs another perimeter shooter, and toughness/experience.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I think, the only way we could do it would be a sign and trade, but I don't see that happening...
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

What about the amnesty?
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
            Comte Comte, Comte Comte (From Van Dame's Blood Sports), let's just sign Bolo Yeung and degenerate him, he's short but his strong enough to play SF or PF and shift Gay to PF.
            lol, isn't it "Kumite"?

Comment

Rudy and Kyle are a package deal and no doubt Lowry will resign.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                What about the amnesty?
                Raps would still be over the salary cap.

Only thing amnesty is going to do is lower the ceiling to the luxury tax and apron.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  Rudy and Kyle are a package deal and no doubt Lowry will resign.
                  We've been down the friendship road before.

It does not guarantee anything.

Money and a chance to win - in that order - matter.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Raps would still be over the salary cap.

Only thing amnesty is going to do is lower the ceiling to the luxury tax and apron.
                    Why do you have to be negative? I can't take this anymore..

your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      lol, isn't it "Kumite"?
                      +1, lol I was like da fuk
                      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

I think there are a few ways Raps. can make a couple of acquisitions including a FA PF. I'd love to see them acquire Paul Millsap and I hope they do. If it's Millsap a sign a trade can be worked out. If Bargnani and his presently expensive contract go to Utah they'd ask for may'be Ross or Jonas in addition to Andrea or maybe a future 1st rounder if OKC uses our pick.

However I won't be surprised if they choose not to address the PF position because the need is not dire. What they will address for sure is the back up PG situation and I don't see that being much of a problem 'cause the MLE can be used. I also expect them to sign Lowry to an extension. I think he see's reason to resign. About 8-9 mil. a season sounds reasonable.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

no

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                            I think there are a few ways Raps. can make a couple of acquisitions including a FA PF. I'd love to see them acquire Paul Millsap and I hope they do. If it's Millsap a sign a trade can be worked out. If Bargnani and his presently expensive contract go to Utah they'd ask for may'be Ross or Jonas in addition to Andrea or maybe a future 1st rounder if OKC uses our pick.

However I won't be surprised if they choose not to address the PF position because the need is not dire. What they will address for sure is the back up PG situation and I don't see that being much of a problem 'cause the MLE can be used. I also expect them to sign Lowry to an extension. I think he see's reason to resign. About 8-9 mil. a season sounds reasonable.
                            Sign and trade at this point is the only way like you mentioned in the above, but why would the Jazz have any need for Bargnani? At this point, only way Toronto wants to get into a S-&-T is including one of Fields/Ross/Derozan/Anderson along with Bargnani + (if Raptors don't make playoffs) a 1st round pick.

Toronto is in a tough spot in terms of trying to get better outside of their roster. If Bargnani, one of Fields/Ross/Derozan/Anderson (preferably keeping Derozan), and a pick doesn't cut it, you're basically relying on Valanciunas, Ross, and Acy to improve significantly in little time to be impact players. Valanciunas will definitely be that type of guy, Acy seems to have potential for being a solid role player in the NBA for a long time, and the jury is still out on Ross.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Al Jeff, Paul Millsap, Josh Smith (most unlikely), or a young underachieved, underappreciated PF (Henson, Tristan Thompsons, JJ Hicksons)

Comment

Working...
                              X